Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 11:30:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694668
  • Total Topics: 118624
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternate killing of the Smaug  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Monstrum

• Assistant
Re: Alternate killing of the Smaug
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »
Could be an interesting result - deep fried dwarf or bar-b-que Bilbo anyone?

Good luck with the piles of gold - I have never mastered that yellow shine but the first ones up look fine.

Way back you mentioned doing Smaug black - going by Tolkiens pictures of Bilbo in the cave, Smaug was red with a white under belly at this time - 70th Anniversary ed with JRRs drawing

I do prefer the dragon you have selected - fits more with my heart than the long thin 'worm' style.

By the way - have you considered that Smaug was the good guy?  The story was told by a bunch of greedy dwarves and one character know for being a thief?

the color of the dragon is red, actually he's covered in gold and jewels from years of lying on them but c'mon not doing the dragon black is blasphemy :D ... I will undercoat it black with bone details on belly and bones, shading red on wings and fins and for final touch he will be drybrushed with gold on belly and lower sides of arms and legs, with few jems inserted courtesy of my darling for donating her jewelry for smashing :D

Smaug the good guy ? interesting ... I will consider it :D
"When I die bury me upside down, so the world can kiss my ass."

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 11:43:51 AM »
Hm, maybe Smaug was actually sent by a few smart bankers who wanted to avoid having the market overflow with gold thus causing massive inflation. Smaug was there to stabilize the market, that simple...

Hm, I'm not really a member of ATTAC, you know.

Anyway, Glen, I have a bunch of friends who are into dwarves so please don't take this banter in any way serious. You know the ususal "Elves are all gay treehole f**s. vs. Dwarves are just hobbits with an attitude." thing. But I guess you have understood it this way.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

former user

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
Watch Yout tongue my friend  ;)
otherwise, one day You might have a closer than You wish encounter with a double handed clutch!  ;)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »
OH BABY...TREASURE! Love piles of loot...you don't have to be a Vertically Challenged Grump to appreciate a golden horde. NICELY DONE!

Wow! Deafnala you're on here too! This is Plutz from Tom's Boring.

When I first posted it was in the Ancients section.

Hey, Amigo! It's good to see you here. Man doesn't live by Mordheim alone...more or less.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »
<snip>
Anyway, Glen, I have a bunch of friends who are into dwarves so please don't take this banter in any way serious. You know the ususal "Elves are all gay treehole f**s. vs. Dwarves are just hobbits with an attitude." thing. But I guess you have understood it this way.

yes.   :)

As an OD&D war gamer/role player I think each race has it's "role" in gaming.  It's all about what role you want your PC to play.  An two-handed axe wielding Elf Berserker is possible if you think out your initial character well enough and allow the character to be a 3D growing character.  A poetry quoting Dwarf cleric of Peace is a one of those roles I think would be fun for a short time in a gaming situation, "Have we tried negotiating with the Goblins?"   :o

Back to dwarves, elves, and other demi-humans, in one of my worlds I have a PC Dwarf I use as  an NPC raised as ghetto fighter on an isolated continent where the Grey Elves are tyrannical power hungry types who live in stone cities they took from Humans and Dwarves (and still populated by them as serfs/peasants.)  It really freaked a bunch of players who wandered into that situation with a bunch of "JRRT" stereotype High and Wood Elves...   lol   ;)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de Espańa,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 02:45:05 PM »
<snip>
Hm, I'm not really a member of ATTAC, you know.

<snip>

I will look up ATTAC.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
<snip>

Smaug the good guy ? interesting ... I will consider it :D

It's all about the story and either of these alternatives could make good scenarios and/or dioramas.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »
Tolkien's writing is moral based so I think those of us who saw the dwarves as less than heroic and greedy do have a valid point of view. He also borrowed heavily from Norse and Anglo-Saxon literature as well as biblical stories so it is not difficult to see crossovers once you've read the literature.

That said it is a wonderful book and the fact that it inspired you to create this project is absolutely superb!

Hey, Amigo! It's good to see you here. Man doesn't live by Mordheim alone...more or less.

Indeed. Lately I've been stuck in historical gaming which I don't mind so much, but I'd like to get a mini Mordheim campaign in soon.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »
Tolkien's writing is moral based so I think those of us who saw the dwarves as less than heroic and greedy do have a valid point of view. He also borrowed heavily from Norse and Anglo-Saxon literature as well as biblical stories so it is not difficult to see crossovers once you've read the literature.

Greed especially Mithril or Gold was always a weakness in the Dwarf "types" in literature and FRPGs.  It leads them to disaster after disaster.

Depending on the setting each "race"/"species" of fantasy character has some moral  or ethical shortcoming ("sins" in Christian terminology but the concept of "fatal weakness" is probably found in every culture's fantasy and mythology.)  

Righteous vengeance and recovering past heirlooms stolen by the dragon becomes Pride, Avarice/Greed, and (in the followers of Thorin,) a moral failing to accept legitimate claims on the treasure (if I remember correctly it wasn't only dwarven valuables the dragon had taken.)

Gracias,

Glenn

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »
Spot on, Glenn. You're absolutely right with your analysis.

Offline Monstrum

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 04:44:04 AM »
Righteous vengeance and recovering past heirlooms stolen by the dragon becomes Pride, Avarice/Greed, and (in the followers of Thorin,) a moral failing to accept legitimate claims on the treasure (if I remember correctly it wasn't only dwarven valuables the dragon had taken.)

Gracias,

Glenn

ergo greed and adrenaline fix will give my dwarves all the power in the world to slay the mighty beast :)

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhķ mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:04 AM »
You've chosen some marvelous sculpts to do this with. And if the work is good, then much like a well written book, people will go wherever you take them. Some will analyze and some will argue, but in the spirit of friendly debate, it will be fun. I'm a die hard fan of the original book and I'll go along with this if it's well executed.

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
Greed especially Mithril or Gold was always a weakness in the Dwarf "types" in literature and FRPGs.  It leads them to disaster after disaster.

Depending on the setting each "race"/"species" of fantasy character has some moral  or ethical shortcoming ("sins" in Christian terminology but the concept of "fatal weakness" is probably found in every culture's fantasy and mythology.)  

Gracias,

Glenn

Gracias,

Glenn

Indeed. I was just highlighting that there was almost certainly a reason Tolkien chose to have Smaug killed the way he did, and likely a reason born out of the Bible or Old Norse and Anglo-Saxon literature as he was a fantastic scholar prior to writing fiction.

As stated before I still think this is a great project and very much in Tolkien's whole nature of being creative and developing your own fantasy.

Offline Monstrum

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
so let's have a first look at the dwarves ... dwarves are, as I mentioned, warriors of erebor, http://totalwargamer.co.uk/warriors-of-erebor.html , converted with few additional and versatile weapons ... so let the fashion show begin before the painting :P

Bofur ... with his loyal pickaxe and shield is wearing spring/summer collection and is carefully watched by the audience

next is Ori ... slingshot wasn't going very well with his helmet so the designer decided that the first row in the battle will be filled with brave Ori wielding a spear

following Ori is his older brother Dori wielding two blades, machette and an axe

as you can see the crowd is getting anxious while the next dwarf is entering the stage ... Bombur with his filthy ladle is getting the crowd going

greasing up the floor with filthy ladle, almost hitting the ground up came Nori with his massive mace

followed by Kili ... the crowd went wild so he had to calm them down ... Kili is presenting his beautiful sword and his bow

Bifur came all worked up with a wind in his hair and his beard

Fili made a twist with his shiny blades

Gloin forgot his forth axe so he had to make a superb entry

Balin as the oldest ... broke his hip

Dwalin couldn't decide what to present ... his giant hammer or the axes so he brought both

Oin came with his loyal staff

and last like the cherry on top leader of this crew ... Thorin Oakenshield with his elven sword and oak shield

and then came Smaug and ruined everything ... as usual

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »
Great models. Everything Looks fantastic. Quick, get them painted up!