Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:49:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: They fell at El tel  (Read 3047 times)

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
They fell at El tel
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:22:50 PM »
Just a few pics of a Pulp Alley game I had Tuesday night - again to enjoy things properly I did not take notes or photos during the game but am relying on memory  :roll:  to add a few comments

The game (Scenario - Trail of Clues) is set in a run down town called El Tel somewhere in the great Sea of Sand.  The Afrika Korps and the PSD  both receive tipoffs and race to find a top secret weapon that will effect the lives of many should it end up in the wrong hands.  Scenario events were forgotten.  Doh!!

The Korps scramble across the low hills on the edge of town

while the PSD enter through a shady palm grove (watch out for falling coconuts - ouch too late - a peril that begged to be played)

Both Leagues spread out looking for clues

........ then things get hazy (alcohol was involved) so just a few clips and cryptic comments

Our brave hero sneaks through cover

the Korps find there first plot point but make a hash of things but 3 activations later they prise open the case ( how many Afrika Korps does it take to change a light bulb?)

and place their second plot point.  Meanwhile Agent Orange has solved the first pp for the PSD and a very suspicious (and armed) Frenchman steps out of the door of a building across the square.

He was so suspicious he never got photographed but he presented many a peril in the game and took a long time to crack.  So long in fact that the Lt Connors of the PSD was KO'd while asking him if he knew anything about top secret weapons and then resisting  2 of the Afrika Korps until they finally beat some sense into him and got a straight answer.  We nicknamed him Fermez LaBouche.

While this was going on it all kicked off in the square - Kurt was on the roof happily shooting down and Mad Adbul and Helmut Rasch took on Captain Kit Stevens in a dance of death at the fight at the fountain (alliteratively speaking)

The Korps had taken the Major Plot point and then spread out in a covering screen as they retired - hoping to keep Captain Kit locked in hand to hand as long as they could

Time was running out - and so were the Korps so Agent Orange hitched her skirts and sprinted after the Germans.  Thinking things through was never her strong point.  She had the allies only plot point and the red mist descended and she happily galloped in the Lion's den

There was only 1 possible outcome - she was knocked down and lost the plot (literally speaking)

and by this time Kit had shaken off his pesky enemies too late to save things before the scenario clock timed out

Defeat again for the PSD (and me) but another great game full of laughs and action - perils are played with fun in mind and the little stories that come out are priceless.

Pulp Alley does play a great game
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: They fell at El tel
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »
Great game, pauld. Looks like you had a lot of fun, glad the alcohol went down well! It always adds to the atmosphere. Good to see your new league in action.

Offline Hoplon

• Bookworm
    • Wargames Euskadi
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »
Willingness of playing Pulp Alley increasing...  o_o o_o

Great report, it had been a long time since I really enjoyed one.
Now back to work, my adobe buildings are waiting!

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:47:14 PM »
Good game, looks like rollicking fun.  :) Must grab a set of the rules when funds permit.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:13:47 AM »
Very cooooool! I'm really liking how your pulp terrain is coming together.   :-*

Where'd you get those sweet hills?

THANKS for playing Pulp Alley!

Offline Hoplon

• Bookworm
    • Wargames Euskadi
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:39:35 AM »
Waiting to pauld's confirmation, I would say those are GW hills. The ones that came in the Battle of The Five Armies box and which I think are sold separately.

Nope...
Apparently this piece of scenery is no more in the GW's catalogue.  :?

Offline pauld

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
Waiting to pauld's confirmation, I would say those are GW hills. The ones that came in the Battle of The Five Armies box

Correct - and an hour before the game they were green so still need a wash to blend things in followed by a final highlight

They are very useful and can be configured as corner pieces, long plateau edge or a narrow isthmus

Pulp Alley has really taken my fancy.  It's easy, fun and structured to tell a story each game so you are not just throwing dice and I am hastily (for me, but snail like for others) collecting and making suitable terrain pieces.

Their was once an old GW saying - "the more terrain the better the game" - I think they were right

by the way - for buildings I have now tried foam core, cork tiles, card boxes and finally foamed PVC board.  The foamed PVC is terrific stuff and by far the best material.  It cuts sharp without crumbling, can be scribed and is light and cheap.  Wonderful stuff.

and I have just discovered pink insulation board as well - old dog, new tricks.  Woof!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:33:12 AM by pauld »

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
Where is the female figure that is in black from? I can't get a good look at her.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline pauld

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
she is the Magdelena from Heroclix

I just re-based her.  One day she may get a make over but for gaming she is doing OK

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 02:20:05 AM »
Pulp Alley has really taken my fancy.  It's easy, fun and structured to tell a story each game so you are not just throwing dice...

That's exactly what we were going for!  :D

THANKS!

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 02:43:59 AM »
That's a cool looking figure. The AAR turned out really nice. I'm always glad to see so many people playing Pulp Alley. :D

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com