Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:32:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691105
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN now Available for Download  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Hunter776

• Bookworm
IHMN now Available for Download
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:31:57 AM »
on Osprey's web-site.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/In-Her-Majesty’s-Name_9781780962894

Sure, I got one from Brigade, but what's wrong with an e-version as well? Especially for us colonials?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: IHMN now Available for Download
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:50:00 AM »
Something about the apostrophe breaks the link in two, and can't connect.  Seems to work fine without it. http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/In-Her-Majestys-Name_9781780962894

Now, I'll trying embedded link. http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/In-Her-Majesty’s-Name_9781780962894

Edit: Yep, that does it.

Thanks for the pointer; darn tempting, but I'll give Lon a bit longer to deliver.  ;)

Doug
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:51:52 AM by The_Beast »

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:59:42 AM »
I always obtain pdf copies of rules that I buy. I love having both a digital and a hard copy of rules if I can. In this case I discovered it last night and have been reading the rules today. I'm really impressed with the rules. Since I'll be out of state when this gets shipped from Brigade (with no complaints at all on my end!) this was something I REALLY wanted now.

I own a tablet, and I think for anyone that does this is almost a must have.

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »
If I did not have the physical copy then I would def buy the pdf. Don't really need both though

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:09:52 PM »
And before anyone asks neither Charles nor I knew that Osprey was going to go digital  :?

But hey if it means more people can get their hands on the rules I'm all for it!
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
Got mine the moment i knewit was available, still want a  hard copy i hope there some at triples its very very good, well done to all concerned a good set of rules and great ideas,

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
Amazon have it dirt cheap atm....
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
 :'(

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »
While I have my printed copy (thanks North Star) I also purchased a PDF copy too from Osprey. That way, I can print off elements of it whenever I want too, like this weekend when I was away in a tent. That saves risking the book and as I just wanted the Company Creation element anyway, the PDF was more convenient. I've also saved the PDF copy onto my smart phone too, so it's there for browsing and reference wherever I am.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
how much! I hough the idea of PDF's was that they would be cheaper as three are no printing costs involved. I'm surprised that to get the hard copy book printed is only £2.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
Cost of printing a book is very low. Cost of producing a book is rather high. A professionaly produced PDF isn't much cheaper per item than the books really. In the volumes I expect Osprey print in it probably costs less than £1 per book (ignoring shipping and import).

I have no problem with PDF's being a similar price to a book if it includes the same artwork, designs etc. The thing I have an issue with is 'bundle deals' that some companies do that save a tiny amount of money. If you've paid for the book then you've paid your share of the development costs etc and any money the company makes on the PDF is essentially free money. A bundle deal should be a promotional thing that charges a little more but gives you two ways to read the book, you aren't buying two books!

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now.
stay on it mate :D

what you say regarding costs is fine, I have a problem in that the PDF is worthless once purchased, the re-sale value is nil. If I bought the hard copy and didn't like the rules I could always re-sell them, this option isn't open with the PDF.

(this is not against Osprey or these rules- it's just a general view)

Offline Captain Nemo

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »
The PDF format is great because you can use it with most smart phones and pretty much all tablets. Great for quick searching or browsing through while you are pretending to listen to your wife. But there is a downside to pdfs. With the convenience of this portability comes the temptation of mass sharing.

I would imagine that most of us here on the forum are not in the habit of recasting our newly purchased miniatures with the intent of giving them away to our friends for free. That of course is and has always been possible, but not without a considerable amount of work. (Although I think most of us here are competent enough to do so without too much trouble if we were of the mind to act that way.) But with PDF files it is as easy to share as sending an email. Now I will admit to doing this on out of print items that cannot be obtained by other means, but this is not the case with IHMN.

So for a small group of creators to even make a PDF available they are running the risk of losing profits. Within the culture of "thieves" (and I do use this term lightly) there is some honor and a few who get the item for free may in fact purchase a legitimate copy of the book at a later date. However, the vast majority of these people will not pay for something already in their possession. Also a phenomenon amongst these people is that they tend to horde without ever using their items they collect. But this will not keep them from sharing what they have in their collection. In effect these "hoarders" become pirate distribution nodes who freely give out free copies of the book to whom ever they please.

There are of course means of prevention. The most common being the use of a watermark with the purchaser's name put on every page. This way if he were to pass his copy around it would be easily traced back to him. Of course the ever popular "Someone Hacked My Computer" defense is always a great excuse. (Although I do in fact personally know of someone who was expelled from college for hacking into a bank. He was arrested and it took them forever to finally figure out that his computer had been hacked and used as a zombie to get the money)

I say all this not to accuse anyone but to explain the lack of a vast price difference. I am currently writing two books and have been considering a digital file format as an added option. I've spent the past five years researching, translating and digitally restoring  (I teach design at a local university) the pages. One of my books is around 800 pages and in print that will be a bit pricey for the content. However I do not want this book passed around the internet. The images, even though I have painstakingly  restored them, are still considered to be public in domain. (In the USA we have no protection of "sweat of the brow." It doesn't matter that I have spent months working on the images.) So you can see my interest in this topic.

Please know that I am not accusing anyone of this behavior. I'm just trying to explain what I perceive as their apprehensions for lowering their PDF price any further.

I am not a wealthy man and I did in-fact buy the PDF file from Osprey. I liked it so much that I purchased the printed version as well.
\"The natives over there are cannibals. They eat liars with the same enthusiasm as they eat honest men.\"

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »
I have a problem in that the PDF is worthless once purchased, the re-sale value is nil. If I bought the hard copy and didn't like the rules I could always re-sell them, this option isn't open with the PDF.

I can understand this but it's not relevant to the cost. I appreciate it might factor into a perception of it's 'value' however. Anyone who's bought snacks at the cinema knows that cost and value are not the same thing :)

No company sells it's products based on a customers ability to sell it on (ignoring the wholesale market here). Once you've bought it their part in the transaction is over and it's your's to do with(almost) as you wish. Hell the computer games market is trying it's hardest to stop you from ever selling anything on. A company needs to make a certain amount of money on it's products and selling them cheaper just means they need to sell huge amounts more of them, for example as a rule of thumb if you cut the price of something in half, you have to sell four times as many to make the same amount of profit. In a niche, that might be difficult to do.

I'm just trying to explain what I perceive as their apprehensions for lowering their PDF price any further.

Those are certainly valid issues with digital production in general. As I said, I don't have an issue with digital productions having similar prices to print versions, I have an issue with 'deals' :)