Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:02:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Saturday Night SwordAndSorceryRPG Fun (21Feb SGK#53-Battle of Hellgate Pass)  (Read 74738 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Saturday Night SwordAndSorceryRPG Fun (Epic Episode#40)
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »
GREAT STUFF! Appropriately for an Epic Battle you've created an Engaging Prologue. You've created a WONDROUS gaming environment. I'm looking forward to the next installment popcorn in hand.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »
All this is wonderful and I enjoyed the read tremedously. The pics are great and the battles really come to Life. I have had some experience with "Another ruleset" where all the minis move in squares and it slowly killed of my interest. But this set of rules seems much more...how should I put it...living.

As I said I really enjoyed your site. So much infact I dug out some of my unused fantasy miniatures and started constructing a World and some easy rules. Time for my oldest daughter to try wargaming on a table top.  :)

IŽll see if I can get my wife interested since she is an old RPG and LARP fan. But some how she seems unimpressed by tabletop gaming.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 05:18:32 AM »
All this is wonderful and I enjoyed the read tremedously. The pics are great and the battles really come to Life. I have had some experience with "Another ruleset" where all the minis move in squares and it slowly killed of my interest. But this set of rules seems much more...how should I put it...living.

As I said I really enjoyed your site. So much infact I dug out some of my unused fantasy miniatures and started constructing a World and some easy rules. Time for my oldest daughter to try wargaming on a table top.  :)

IŽll see if I can get my wife interested since she is an old RPG and LARP fan. But some how she seems unimpressed by tabletop gaming.

Thanks very much! I think what helps make our game fluid and "living" (I like that description!) is the way we play to tell a story. Even in the midst of the battle, there is always time to stop and act out just how that last die roll slashed into my enemy.

It sounds like your wife might be very good at role-playing-wargaming. Challenge her to bring her improv skills to the battle. You all might find a new definition of family fun night! Please keep us up to date. Our family would love to hear how your games go!

Our oldest son begged to be taught the rules, so he and I battled after dinner last night:

It's always a joy seeing your battlereports and pictures of your games - thankyou for sharing it with us.

You're very welcome! I'm happy you have fun reading them!

GREAT STUFF! Appropriately for an Epic Battle you've created an Engaging Prologue. You've created a WONDROUS gaming environment. I'm looking forward to the next installment popcorn in hand.

Thank you! And get the butter ready, because the beginnings of the epic Sagas of the Gautrian Kings #40 "Battle of Skarken River" is online now!

Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 05:24:39 PM »
COOL STUFF! Scouting out The Enemy was a SPLENDID sequel to Big Show. I'm, once more, impressed with The Campaign.

By the way your Son looks like a natural. I hope he's enjoying the experience.

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 06:17:09 PM »
Hi. Those tents you have look reasonably cheap and easy to do a few. Have you got time to make a small tutorial on how to make them and what materials you have choosen to use?

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
Simply awesome as always! Are some of those orc minis from Vendel/Sgt Major Miniatures? They look nice mixed in with all the others.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
Those tents look great! I second the call for a tutorial or how-to article...

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 02:29:44 AM »
Simply awesome as always! Are some of those orc minis from Vendel/Sgt Major Miniatures? They look nice mixed in with all the others.

Thank you! Yes, the Nil-ith Horn Orcs in the green and black livery are Vendel/Sgt Major Miniatures. They seemed very human-like to us. In our setting the League of Nil-ith Horn is made up of 3 major cities, 2 belonging to orcs and Grunevald which is human. Even though they don't interbreed, the orcs in the League are referred to as half-orcs because of their relationship with the Grunevaldians. Likewise, the humans call the Grunevaldians half-orc. No matter who uses the term, it is surely derogatory. Thus we loved the minis.

Hi. Those tents you have look reasonably cheap and easy to do a few. Have you got time to make a small tutorial on how to make them and what materials you have choosen to use?

lol I'm laughing because Teshub just started construction of some Great Northern Orc settlement pieces which I photographed him doing for the website. As for the tents, I can certainly take some close-up pictures of their construction with a description of what we did. Which tents in particular were you referring to? We have a few different styles out.

COOL STUFF! Scouting out The Enemy was a SPLENDID sequel to Big Show. I'm, once more, impressed with The Campaign.

By the way your Son looks like a natural. I hope he's enjoying the experience.

Thanks, he had a blast! As did we during this epic adventure!

Jevenkah

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
The Vangen orc camp awakens to their scouts' news of an impending Gautrian attack. The orcs begin to array their forces on the hill. The humans spread opposite them on the battlefield.

An urog champion emerges from the Vangen camp. The Gautrians cry for Kvig's champion, Bleddyn Yorath, to fight for them.

Will Bleddyn conquer the urog challenge? Come to the site and see:

Sagas of the Gautrian Kings #40 "Battle of Skarken River

Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
HOORAY! Bleddyn is THE MAN! The Troops look WONDERFUL in their mass formations...GREAT STUFF!

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
All of them. ;)

but if you are forcing me to choose I would like a description of those triangular tents you used for the Gautrian camp.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Looking forward to this report! Epic stories are what this hobby is for!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Thanks all! Bleddyn was definitely the man that night! It started with him bringing us bags of plastic bits he had cast in the week leading up to our game. He carried that excitement through the play of the next 9 hours as we battled til the sun came up!

I will get descriptions of *all* the tents up eventually for the folks who are asking, I just wanted an idea of which ones to start with. The Gautrian camp tents are easy and inexpensive to make, with the most exotic element being packing paper from Amazon orders. I'll get the pix up soon.  :)

Jevenkah

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
The Gautrian Camp Tent Tutorial is up on the Workbench: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56066.0 and our website: http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/workshop/ .

More to follow!
Jevenkah
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:12:49 AM by Jevenkah »

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
Can you talk a little bit about how you set up the big set piece battles for play? Does the DM set it up ahead of time and reveal it at the appropriate moment, or set it up while the players are taking a break?

Very interesting site, thanks.