Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:15:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 40mm Musketeers - suggestions?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
40mm Musketeers - suggestions?
« on: May 01, 2008, 03:33:58 PM »
I've been casting around for a new project, and have found myself frankly hypnotised by Vikotnik's sublime Musketeers project. I've dabbled with 40mm before, but as so often with non-28mm lines, I wonder how far things can go without access to such a variety of figures.

So, here's a survey of what I've found available that could be pressed into service:

Eureka (obviously)
Steve Barber (more Musketeers, guards and Cardinal Richelieu)
Perry Bros (some civilians could potentially be pressed into service)
HLBS (a few of the 40mm pirates might be interesting with minor conversions?)
Monolith/Graven Images (a couple of monks and a nun could work well)

Here are some unknowns:
Sash and Saber produce a line of FIW civilians, but no pictures on their website. Trident have also announced imminent AWI civilians - both might potentially have good minis, but without pictures it's hard to know.

What about Sash and Saber ECW stuff? It's roughly contemporary, so maybe those could be good.

Oh, and Irregular Miniatures 42mm Renaissance range - very few pictures online (why do minis companies do this?!), but some interesting looking options in terms of both soldiers ('ragged campaign dress' could cover an number of centuries). Plus, Irregular do lots of cheap scenery to dress the table with.

Since 40mm is also O Scale for model railways, I'm guessing it would be straightforward to pick up some livestock.

Finally - the rules! Do I expect a universal chorus of 'Gloire!' from the congregation?

Thanks - any further input highly welcome. For other genres I'd be happy to stick with 28mm, but lie I said, that Vikotnik project has weaved its magic on me!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
I came across some lovely 40mm ECW figures that could obviously be used. Shame I forgot the company, but I was looking for 54mm Napoleonics among the time, so it's got to be one of those companies.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 03:53:45 PM »
The S&S ECW stuff is quite nice and would do I think for Three Musketeers era gaming. The F&I civvies are, to my eye, far too late to blend in.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Re: 40mm Musketeers - suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 05:05:41 PM »
Quote from: "oxiana"
Finally - the rules! Do I expect a universal chorus of 'Gloire!' from the congregation?

Viktonik has successfully used "...And One for All", which is by Eureka and thus presumably for their own figures. Olivier has written a very pleasant conversion of the LotR mechanic for Swashbuckling adventure straight out of the era of the musketeers.

But you have to expect that I'd be slightly biased to the rules you mentioned. :wink:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 06:46:22 PM »
Quote from: "oxiana"
I've been casting around for a new project, and have found myself frankly hypnotised by Vikotnik's sublime Musketeers project. I've dabbled with 40mm before, but as so often with non-28mm lines, I wonder how far things can go without access to such a variety of figures.

So, here's a survey of what I've found available that could be pressed into service:

Eureka (obviously)
Steve Barber (more Musketeers, guards and Cardinal Richelieu)
Perry Bros (some civilians could potentially be pressed into service)
HLBS (a few of the 40mm pirates might be interesting with minor conversions?)
Monolith/Graven Images (a couple of monks and a nun could work well)

Here are some unknowns:
Sash and Saber produce a line of FIW civilians, but no pictures on their website. Trident have also announced imminent AWI civilians - both might potentially have good minis, but without pictures it's hard to know.

What about Sash and Saber ECW stuff? It's roughly contemporary, so maybe those could be good.

Oh, and Irregular Miniatures 42mm Renaissance range - very few pictures online (why do minis companies do this?!), but some interesting looking options in terms of both soldiers ('ragged campaign dress' could cover an number of centuries). Plus, Irregular do lots of cheap scenery to dress the table with.

Since 40mm is also O Scale for model railways, I'm guessing it would be straightforward to pick up some livestock.

Thanks - any further input highly welcome. For other genres I'd be happy to stick with 28mm, but lie I said, that Vikotnik project has weaved its magic on me!

May I suggest Hecker & Goros 30YW range. 1/48 scale and up to the ears in character. You can find them at Historex Agents.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 04:37:32 PM »
I just also found this chap:[/img]http://www.oldgloryuk.com/disp_item.php?c=355&oc=4645&pic=1

Rather nice looking for a dastardly villain, by Drabant Minis, who I had never come across before. (I was going to post a picture, but can't work out how to - any ideas please?)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:05:34 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
May I suggest Hecker & Goros 30YW range. 1/48 scale and up to the ears in character. You can find them at Historex Agents.

Lovely.

Though better get a sample first to check out the scale as 1/48 is more like 35-36mm.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:11:01 PM »
The Romanoff 40mm ECW range (also on the Old Glory UK site) looks promising too, though not as well sculpted as some of the others.