Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:28:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Need some rules advice/recommendations  (Read 3130 times)

Offline chuman

• Assistant
Need some rules advice/recommendations
« on: May 01, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »
Hi folks,

I'd like to ask for your recommendations on which rule system(s) to go for based on what I'd like to play:

- Size: Skirmish size with about 4 minimum figures up to about 20 per side.
- Theme: Indian Jones meets Lara Croft going through a StarGate to a Lost World filled with Dinos, Ancient Civilizations, cavemen and some competition in the form of other adventurers/hunters/mad scientists/2WW factions, all hell-bent on ways to exploit the newly discovered world to their own ends (be it ruling the world through some artefact or making a lot of money... ;-)
- Strong skill-based/hero support system where unique abilities give a minority group (party of 4-6 adventurers) a fair chance against all the odds thrown against them
- Good adventure/scenario/campaign options for extended (multi session) play

Some of the systems which look like it MAY have potential include:
- Rattrap (either .45, Gloire or the SF basic set - which one?) with the Thrilling Expeditions supplement
- Sticks & Stones from Valent Studios

To be honest, I have no idea what the strongpoints or weakpoints of these rulesets are or even to what extent it will meet my stated objectives above. In fact, I don't even know what is available or popular out there. Any pointers will be much appreciated (like reviews of the systems or even preview material). And if I may be so bold, please don't just say "Go for X - 'cause it's good." I really need to know WHY it's good (or not, as the case might be).

Thanks in advance!!

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:26:20 PM »
If you're interested in .45 Adventure, download all the free stuff and give it a go.

http://www.rattrapproductions.com/speakeasy/viewforum.php?f=8

There's no point in spending your hard earned money on a ruleset you won't like. I think every game should offer some sort of free preview so that the only rulesets you buy are the ones that have stuff you want. I think of it as sort of online browsing.

The free downloads at the site above should give you an idea of what the game is like (and I recommend .45 Adventure for what you want to do). It can handle all of what you are looking for.

Other systems to try could be Triumph and Tragedy (though you would probably have to create your own dino stats), Astounding Tales, and Savage Worlds.

I can answer any questions you might have on .45 Adventure either here or on our own Speakeasy forum.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline chuman

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:54:36 PM »
Thank you - looks like I'm off to a good start here.  I agree with your sentiment around free preview rules. This is how I buy as well. Just too much risk in buying something because it *might* have what you're looking for...

Offline whisperin_al

• Bookworm
  • Gaming Geek
    • The Wargames Shed
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:31:22 PM »
Hi,

Having played quite a few Pulp games the first things I'd say is that generating the right feel is the key.  Ordinarily I'd just say that you just need rules that don't get in the way but with Pulp I think you need something that gets you in the mood and allows you to act like a two-fisted hero.

I've played .45 Adventure (and it's siblings Gloire and Fantastic Worlds) and like the rules a lot.  Rattrap have gone for a relatively simple set of rules with archetypes to get you going quickly, terminology that fits the genre and hero points which allow you to do those larger than life actions.  Their focus on a 2' x 2' terrain space (which is often what you end up playing in on a larger table!) allows you to get into things quickly and helps develop an episode based set of small linked games which helps with the Pulp feel.  The encounter token approach is also very flexible and allows the story to develop easily.  I'd certainly recommend you have a look (and the PDF versions of the rules and supplements are pretty reasonably priced IMHO).

Another set I have used is Savage Worlds which is a role-playing game which was designed to work with miniatures must more closely than any other I have come across.  It is designed to be fast, furious and fun (that's their tag line) and to work across a whole variety of genres.  The rules take a little more getting used to than Rattrap's but it's not that hard and provided you like various dice sizes (and I know some people don't) it works very well, particularly if you want to use groups of figures.  It has a card based initiative system that works very well and several relevant supplements including pulp player books and GM resources (which are available as PDFs too).  I think they have a free downloadable version of the skirmish ruleset available from their website.

I like both sets and which I'd choose depends on the style and size of the game I'd be playing.

Hope that's some help

Al

Offline chuman

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
Fantastic responses so far. I 'll certainly include Savage Worlds in my quest for the right starting point.

Does anyone have any comments on the suitability of Sticks & Stones - is this perhaps too "pre-historic" centric?

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »
I was going to recommend Savage Worlds as well. Depending on how much roleplay you like to add to your minis games, you can go full-bore SW or just use the minis version, SW Showdown, which you can download for free at http://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Worlds/Downloads/Showdown/Showdown.pdf
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Maenoferren

• Bookworm
    • Triple Ace Games
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »
I have run two pulp games for Savage worlds... MAyan crystal skulls and another...a  lost world one (well the second hasnt run yet... I am waiting till we finish a pirate set of games first).

I find the system very easy to run, quick for either 4-5 characters or 15+
As Eisen said you can have a light version of the rules to download and play.

I have the pulp toolkits and all the character types are given in the sets... this means you can run Iniana JOnes types complete with whips and a trusty revolver, or possibly some other PULP stereotype... Our MAyan sjkulls adventure had a female Archaeologist a male big game hunter, A jungle boy and a confidence trickster, who ended up on a big adventure, when all he wanted was to steal something... Ahhh Spelegrino what a laugh we had at him... Especially as he was armed with a .22 derringer.

All in all I like the rules, but I am not a disciple to them.. I actually game with Wiggy the guy who writes their stuff, but I play other stuff as well... I am really temepted by the45 pulp setting with dinosaurs and the like...
cheers
Stephen

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Re: Need some rules advice/recommendations
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 08:04:56 PM »
"Astounding Tales" is also a very nice rule system.

It is very simple and easy to understand and play with minimal rules to keep up with.  It boasts many similar aspects to 45. Adventures, but is less structured and fast paced.  It is designed for use with small numbers of models and a smaller table sized play area.

http://www.thevirtualarmchairgeneral.com/
you can buy it here.

"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:14:37 AM »
I'd been contemplating some Pulp-style gaming for a while. I wanted a degree of RPG-like characterisation, but without the level of detail that could slow down a game on the table. I've had a few ideas kicking around for a while and decided to get going with them. I'd also considered a Legends of the Old West/ Mordheim homebrew variant, but wanted to see if there was a "package" out there which would suit.

I'd heard lots of good stuff about Rattrap, so I checked out the .45 Adventure freebie downloads (which are fantastic, by the way - kudos to the publisher for the in-depth taster) and did a bit of playtesting to see how they'd stack with my ideas. I really liked the freebie rules, so went and bought the full PDF version and the Amazing Stories WW2 expansion. I'm very impressed - they were exactly what I was looking for.

I'm also very taken with the proposed board size. Small setup, more time to focus on the game.

I'm also really looking forward to their forthcoming "Broadsword Adventures: Savage Tales of Fantasy". It's inspired me to go look for some Orcs an' Goblins and what have you!
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 06:02:22 AM »
Does anyone have any comments on the suitability of Sticks & Stones - is this perhaps too "pre-historic" centric?

I've read the rules to Sticks & Stones, but I haven't gotten to play a game of it yet.  Doesn't really sound like it will fill in for all the items you've listed.  It's more of a caveman & dinosaur skirmish game.  It's looks like it could be a fun game with a lot of laughs, but not sure how you'd fit in the Indian Jones, Laura Croft and Stargate... but Sticks & Stones is compatable with Savage Worlds with just a few minor rules adjustments (they have 'em listed for you too).  So you can probably work that out easy enough if you're already playing Savage Worlds.