Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

ISA Whitestars encounter a Minbari Patrol (Thargor) vs. Curse of Fenric (Thantsants)

ISA Whitestars encounter a Minbari Patrol (Thargor
88 (19.6%)
Curse of Fenric (Thantsants)
362 (80.4%)

Total Members Voted: 446

Voting closed: June 22, 2013, 10:28:16 PM

Author Topic: Round 10 - ISA Whitestars encounter a Minbari Patrol vs. Curse of Fenric  (Read 6001 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
Haemovores! Man, I remember that story.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
You got it Barks - the Doctor I grew up with and my favourite story!

Shame I couldn't rustle up a creepy Viking long ship in time for the etra bonus points...  ::)

Lovely ships there Thargor  8)

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
Wow.  No doubt who this round is going to.   Great work Thantsants.

I'm quite disappointed in how the Whitestars came out in the pics.  They have a pearlised paint which really throws out a multi-coloured shimmer in real life.  I really must practice my photography before next years competition.  Not that it would have made any difference in this pairing.  I'm definitely out-classed here.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:55:20 PM by Thargor »

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
I did mention that to the wife when she was looking at this week's entries - I've struggled to take decent, well lit pics of white paint jobs in the past that don't mask all the hard work that goes into the detail  >:(

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
I did mention that to the wife when she was looking at this week's entries - I've struggled to take decent, well lit pics of white paint jobs in the past that don't mask all the hard work that goes into the detail  >:(

If you have a camera where you can control the settings:
It's best to purposely underexpose the photo slightly if you have a lot of whites. If it is overexposed, there's no information at all registered in the blown out white areas, you can never get those details. No amount of correction by darkening the white areas will bring back details. On a correct exposure, everything should be fine. Slightly underexposed will just need a little correction toward brightness, the digital file will have information in the white spots. I'm guessing your scene was overall quite dark because of the backdrop, which your camera compensated for, (cameras naturally try to 'even things out') and overexposed the whites.

The photography aspect of displaying miniatures on the internet, with accurate values and colors, is endless frustration. I hate it most of the time. My tutorial shots are really fugly for that very reason :)

If you don't have a camera with settings you can control, focusing on a medium gray card or sheet of paper placed in the center of the scene, then removing the card for the shot, should help- the camera will shoot for the medium tones.

I have yet to buy an actual light meter- I think it would save me a heck of a lot of time. I take a LOT of photographs just to get one good one.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:53:54 PM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
Thanks Dr M.  I've been playing with the depth of field to try to get most of the scene in focus, but hadn't considered under exposing.  Will have to dig out the instruction manual again.