Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:02:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Building the Harem - North African Architecture - Exotic Locations  (Read 41239 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
I'm embarking upon what will surely be a long project, inspired almost in full by the Phipps' wonderful terrain thread, found here:

Pulp Alley Buildings by the Phipps'

I plan to create a large number of buildings, including a substantial market and accoutrements. My hope is that they will be 'generic' enough to fit in Zanzibar, Khartoum, or Arabia as required. I started with a largish fortified building, which I used in my Round 9 LPL harem exterior scene.

I began with a drawing to work out dimensions and built a basic form out of Gatorfoam, which is like foamcore but far more tough, and correspondingly more expensive. I used this material because it is durable, and I wanted to have decorative crenelations atop the walls so that it had a relatively imposing appearance. I measured out the walls and cut the major forms on a bandsaw. The crenelations and arches were cut using a coping saw and a jeweler's saw. It wasn't as time consuming as I expected, it took about two hours from pencil to having all the components cut and ready to glue. It certainly pays to have access to the right tools for the job at hand.

Windows have been masked off with blue painter's tape. After reading the Phipps' thread it sounded like the texture can get thick, and I knew I wanted the windows to look inset and flush. I also wanted some exposed brick, so I used a few pieces of brickwork from one of the Keebler small brick molds (they're like Hirst Arts molds). I also added some trim, buttressing, etc. You might be able to spot where I imbedded two magnets in the corner walls- I'm thinking ahead there and I hope to make some walls that will attach and be held in place magnetically.

The next step was to paint on Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler. Use the regular stuff, not 'MAX' which I found too gritty for this purpose. It may show up on a new tree project at some point. Use a ratty brush, and 'dabbing' is better than 'brushing'. I really like this material for texturing. Mix a little water into the top layer to thin it a bit. Thanks for the info Phipps!

I wanted my building to look more detailed than the usual 'foamcore box look' that middle eastern buildings often have (according to one poster here on LAF). I looked for some three dimensional decorative elements in the scrapbooking section of Michael's, a US based hobby store. The shapes looked vaguely Islamic to my untrained eye... I bought two packs which was one too many since I intended to recast them using an Insta-Mold press mold. It is a resuable substance that you heat in water, making it malleable. You press it around the form you want to copy- it sets quickly and produces good results. After making several molds I created a bunch of castings using Sculpey. The Sculpey is pretty soft and easily deformed- you can put it the freezer for a couple minutes to facilitate ease of removal.

After making the castings (about 45 minutes), I baked them for fifteen minutes at 275 degrees F, per the instructions on the box.
The next stage of the building texture process was to coat it with thinned wood glue. I glued the decorative elements on at this point.

After the glue has dried, paint the building with thinned white water based paint. I used an indoor flat latex.

The next step is staining. I dabbed/brushed on a layer of MinWax Wood Stain, 'Golden Oak'.  I let this dry overnight (that might have been an issue- I didn't get a dramatic paint separation/mottled look like you see in the Phipps thread. I'm not quite sure why, I'll have to do some experimentation).

After the staining step, paint the entire building with the thinned white water base paint. It should create a wonderful layered texture. It's a lot of work, but I think the results are worth it.

I made the windows by printing out some Islamic screens I sized in Photoshop. I mounted the sheet to a piece of matboard, the material used in framing images on paper behind glass. I painted the edge of the matboard to match the screens.

I removed the tape and glued in the windows, and used a little piece of heavy paper slit down the center for a curtain. I airbrushed the soft gradient in this case.

I need to rework the trapdoor on the roof and redo the front door (I want it to look bronze) but it's pretty much done. I'm quite happy with it- particularly because I started it and submitted it into the LPL within 4 days. I plan to create a second building to go with this one, and walls so that I can form a compound around a central court. The main reason (the only reason, actually) is because I have three peacocks that need a home :)

I hope this is helpful, feel free to ask questions! A HUGE thanks to d phipps, who pioneered this texturing technique and was very kind in answering my questions.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:35:47 PM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Building the Harem - Islamic Architecture
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:39:11 AM »
You make it sound so simple,top notch!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:54:06 AM »
Excellent result! You make it sound way too simple doing the crenelations! o_o o_o :-*

Can't wait to what comes next!!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »
A great build - thanks for the tutorial.  :)

Any chance we can have those screens to use in Photoshop file? I'd love some for Indostan.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:09:01 AM »
Effing brill! Since it is a complete tutorial, I'd like  to move this to How to... if thats alright.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:12:04 AM »
You make it sound way too simple doing the crenelations!

This ^^^^

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 08:17:40 AM »
Damn fine work  :D

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Honestly top notch building. Also, thank you for a great tutorial. It was full of useful tips I have never heard before. Top marks from me.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

former user

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
@dr Mathias
Thank You very much for showing how you built the impressive structure we all admired in the LPL.
Also let me congratulate You on skills and ingenuity in execution.
I like Your "Haram"  very much.

Since You mentioned that You wanted to do a whole series of oriental buildings, please allow me a few critical remarks:

Unfortunately, traditional "oriental" architecture is a bit boring for the eye, because from the streets one will see mostly naked walls and screened turkish balconies, and the occasional covered galleries on the ground floors where there is commercial activity. Richer buildings will have the beautifully crenelated enclosures of the roof terraces. This is a plus for the wargamer of course. The whole private life takes place on the inside in courtyards, but this is a problem for wargamers because then you need large enclosed spaces and wargaming buildings tend to be size reduced.
Usually, large windows will show to an interior courtyard. Balconies are always covered as a niche in the so called turkish style and they are the only opening in exterior walls. Galleries are covered and in an interior court, and additionally screened if belonging to a haram, which are always on an upper level if part of a large house. Terraces are usually on top of the uppermost floor in living homes. In garrisson buildings they can be on lower floors, but are then battlements. In very large palaces there are terraces on upper floors, usually as gardens, but then they are completely enclosed by high walls. This general layout poses a dilemma for the wargamer, as moving miniatures in narrow streets is difficult, but mirrors the actual real problems of fighting in oriental cities.

Of course, for Pulp Fiction wargaming, Hollywood style scenery is perfect, since the genre is fictional anyway and represents our western cliches and orientalized view. It is my impression that the oriental movie sets were inspired by the hispanic influenced architecture in California, which does carry a good measure of resemblence to the original.
That said, please show us more of Your wonderful craftsmanship and detailing
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:28:37 AM by bedwyr »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 10:27:01 AM »
Wow!  :o :o :o

Great tutorial, I have learned a lot. Many thanks!

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »
excellent tutorial, you make it look so easy!

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
Kudos .  A superb entry and a great how to
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Phyllion

• Scientist
    • Diary of a Gaming Magpie
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
Accurate or no, it looks lovely - doubly so for the speed of construction!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
Some stunning detail :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Excellent result! You make it sound way too simple doing the crenelations! o_o o_o :-*

Can't wait to what comes next!!
Got to agree with this.