Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:49:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Knights of St John? (Malta 1565)  (Read 11557 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Re: 28mm Knights of St John? (Malta 1565)
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 11:20:31 PM »
For me it was back years ago when I read Roger Crowley's 'Empires of the Sea', since then having read anything I can find, historical and novel. Barnaby Rogerson's 'The Last Crusaders' is a more general history of the period, but it is one of the best histories I've read, period, can't recommend it enough.

Novel-wise, If you haven't come across it Tim Willocks' 'The Religion' is superb, (Also, Blood Rock was quite good (James Jackson), and Sword and Scimitar I quite enjoyed, though I thought it dragged a bit at times).

I was looking at the TAG range earlier on, some of the Spanish and some of the Italian swordsmen I thought I might be able to convert, add greenstuff tabards and so forth. I do like Redoubt figures though, but you're right the size is a bit of an issue for compatibility with other ranges. They do have corsairs though, which is an advantage.

Hadn't thought about Elizabethans, I might pinch that idea!
The Italian mercenaries again redoubt would be good for I think, but again the size issue is there. Maltese - well, if Arsenal Miniatures ever turn up again... I'll have to do some more digging though.

Incidentally, the Eureka 100 Club has listed Knights of St John for 1565, currently at 50+, but no more information than that, and I don't know how Eureka stack up against other manufacturers.

Some of the threads I've read are quite positive about the Old Glory Ottoman range.

I'm going to have to find some time to put together a more cohesive plan now, I think this project might just have been brought forward. Drat. :D

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 12:17:31 AM »
I wonder whether some of the figures from the Border Reiver range, formerly Vendel, now Sgt Major in the USA, would work too. The pictures on the sight don't zoom in particularly well, but I can certainly see a few in 3/4 armour that I think would be appropriate. Shame they aren't available individually.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 06:44:18 AM »
Vendel would definately be a good choice. They disappeared from my radar once the went west. Eureka has some Portugese that are useful and Newline have some Barbary pirates:

http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=490_501&zenid=e5cd7e909f081517c5ff27a90fec2317

Half of the range seems though to have disappeared. I have some 20 different figures from that range.

If you gonna go "big" with Redoubt you might look at Monolith Reiver range (if you can find them) and old Glory Wars of the religion. These should match well.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 07:01:37 AM »
I purchased some of the Vendel Reivers and was frankly disappointed. Although they shared sculpting style with Gripping Beast (same sculptor???) the casting was poor with much of the depth of detail lost or being very "smooth" - I got the impression perhaps my lot were from a mould on its way out.

That was a while ago, before they moved to Sgt Major, so that issue might have been resolved.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »
Hello,

I would be interested in photographs,illustrations and sources for the Knights of Malta, Brethren, men at arms, militia characters etc for 1565 as I may have someone who maybe interested in arranging a few miniatures to be done.

I'm still in the settling mode at my new country (so much to do) place so information and time is very limited.

Please use this thread for all material. Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 11:21:48 PM »
If you gonna go "big" with Redoubt you might look at Monolith Reiver range (if you can find them) and old Glory Wars of the religion. These should match well.

I think it all comes down to where I can find suitable Knights or figures to convert, and then I'll see what corresponds to the sizes Monolith I have seen some pictures of, but their site has malicious code/virus software which my anti-virus just blocked an attack from, so won't be going there. Threads referring to them, on TMP etc, all seem to be very old and with no knowledge of where they've got to either!

This period seems to be the wargaming equivalent of a black hole.  o_o

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »
I hope that the rumour concerning ProGloria buying up those Arsenal figures is correct. They are gorgeous figures and would be a perfect fit with ProGloria's existing figures.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »
Try 'Fortresses of the Knights' by Stephen Spiteri, or his 'The Great Siege' - both have lots of images.
Or Google for Perez D'Aleccio frescoes of the siege - he was a contemporary artist and you get a good idea of what both sides wore.
Sample:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Perez_d'Aleccio
And another (a bit small)

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
I've pinged monolith an email. Not sure if I will get a reply, but if I do I will let you all know.

I'm interested in using their figures for the Scottish Civil Wars around this time and specifically for the Queens army at Corrichie which was fought in 1562 between crown forces and the Earl of Huntly.

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »
Reply from Monolith,
"- yes they are still available - not all are in stock - though they can of course be cast - I generally get them cast twice a year - next casting will be July/August - depending on demand"

:)

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
These Monolith figures are from the Graven Images range done by Jim Bowen? I had thought from the fact that their web site had not been updated for ages that the range was no more. Did they give any indication of present prices? As those shown on the website must be long out of date, if they're not they are possibly the best value figures on the market

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »
Reply from Monolith,
"- yes they are still available - not all are in stock - though they can of course be cast - I generally get them cast twice a year - next casting will be July/August - depending on demand"

:)

Was there a name in the reply. I also sent them emails and I got response from Steve M. However he promised to come back to me but never did. I hope ordering is safe ???

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 11:38:30 PM »
There was no name in the reply, although the addressee's initials were SM. What you see is the text of the email. I'll ask though and see what the reply is.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »
What you see is the text of the email.

If that was the whole text of the email, is it just me or does it sound rather short and terse? Nothing about why the website is seemingly a virus-hotbed? I'd certainly be interested if he was going to get the figures recast, but I'd ideally like to at least see some pics, or even a list, and know the company was operating...

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984