Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dwarf army help needed please .what your core troops  (Read 1451 times)

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
Dwarf army help needed please .what your core troops
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
Hi all
  Would like your input on what goes into Your/A dwarf army ??? Am basing it around the lines of LOTR (3rd age ) /  Dark Ages So no BOOM sticks or gurt big Cannons please  :)

1)I think  the core of the army as armoured (bit of plate as they are dwarfs after all  :D /protected spearmen but on the other hand, do i go pike ?

I can picture it  6 or 8 battle groups of 48 figs,12 figs wide and 4 deep would look nice on the table !
but should i keep the core as spearmen and use the pike as guard units ? better grade of troops ?

2)oh then what about units of double handed axes ect.. i was thinking that i could use  them  as veterian foot 3:spear or pike  to 1 heavy wpn   unit ?

3)How much crossbow should i give them 1  per 5 / 6 foot units is that too much ?

4)should i give them any mounted troops ? there are some nice models out there dwarfs on bears and rams so ! another unit of them each ??

5)oh and lt foot/ skirmish troops should they have any was thinking of just 1 unit of dwarf rangers armed with crossbows ?

I would love your input on this for me if you do have a dwarf army whats it set up please .. am planning to have around 12-16 battle groups to start with ..

happy gaming all RL

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
Re: Dwarf army help needed please .what your core troops
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »
If you want to stick to the lotR theme...

1) Dwarfs were into heavy chainmail. I gess some plate reinforcement over the chainmail are fine, but no plate armours.

3) No crossbows in Middle-earth! Crossbows are slower than bows and their main advantage is greater piercing power. But if you're going to face foes armed with chainmail at best, there is no reason to sacrife fire speed. Besides, no crossbow is ever named in the books.

4) No mounted troops. Dwarfs usually fight underground battles against Orcs and they have little experience in ground battles. Besides, they're not skilled with animals. If you really want a mounted unit, use ponys and anything else.

5) dwarf rangers, but with bows.

Hope it helps..
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:23:37 PM by Arthadan »

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
I like the idea of shieldwall with spears as core. However, if you have an LoTR theme then look at Dain's army in the hobbit - mattocks. Skirmishers with short bows.
Also, I reckon Dwarves should have big dogs to break up the enemy line before they charge.

What rules are you planning on using?

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »
Interesting which miniatures are you going to use as I'm also looking for a lotr style dwarf force. Vendels?
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »
I think Arthadan got it right. Pikes and the like are cool against cavalry but dwarven armies usually don't fight against those. Keep it simple.

However, if you are into more modern troops (plate mail), got for it. It's not that there is one correct way to Picture Middle-Earth.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »
May I suggest the old Fantasy Warrior range? Here you are a fine example from this forum:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=53791.0

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:39:46 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply lads..

Crossbows! well its hard to find a 15mm fig with a bow i can find them with the crossbow :P.

I do like the Peter pig range of dwarfs and miniature heroes but at £5 for 8 figs is taking the piss for MH up to £2.80 from PP ! NO BRAINER ;)
Magister militum have to good ranges as well most of my orc army comes from them ..

IF any of you know of any more 15mm dwarf coys to look at please drop me a line ..

I Think of dwarfs as hard as nails solid troops more of a defence spear, come and get us you orc trash .

Pikes/phalanx are not just good against cav they are very good against spear ! thats why philip II  developed them to duff up them greek hoplites . but i think i will go with spearmen as the core of my dwarf army .. keeps to the dark ages feel and chainmail think PP figs are what i have in mind for my spearmen

happy gaming and thanks for all your help lads LR

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 11:42:25 PM »
Arthadan
  they look just the job but need them in 15mm  :(

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
Have you checked out Marc Copplestone's 15mm  Dwarves? It sounds like they'd be just what you're looking for. Not too expensive and just gorgeous minis. I have some myself and I can't wait to get paint on them!  ;)

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=FM
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper