Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:31:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690699
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Reaper BONES Cave Troll  (Read 7984 times)

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
Reaper BONES Cave Troll
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
I was in a painting funk and thought the best way to get out of it would be by painting something simple and fun. So I chose Reaper BONES Cave Troll.

You don't need to prime them and the paint goes on really smooth. And as far as I can tell, you can't break them either.

I'm painting up a classic dwarf by Werner Klocke that will put on a base with him as a small battle vignette.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Reaper BONES Cave Troll
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »
Nice work!

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:54:41 PM »
Very nice.

I just got my bones in and will be using them to teach my daughters how to paint minis.

Thanks.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 10:41:11 PM »
Thanks for posting - Nice work! I had wondered about using one of these as a potential Grendel. How tall is it?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Nedo

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »
Good work, real fantasy colours...they are almost psychedelic, but nice and so vivid.
I have two of these beasts but I have not yet painted..

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:14:40 AM »
I like the brighter paint scheme. Nice charachter in that fig.  The pose and colors bring back memories of GW catalogs from when I was a kid, though I think your painting is better.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:42:43 AM »
The Big Slimy Dude painted up TERRIFIC. The super highlighting gives him an unhealthy aura which suits him perfectly. That is a super way of snapping out of a funk...VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 07:39:25 PM »
Nice work!

Thank you!

Very nice.

I just got my bones in and will be using them to teach my daughters how to paint minis.

Thanks.

Some of those are perfect to learn on as they're fairly simple sculpts. The Townsfolk and such would be great for beginners. Reaper brought thousands and thousands of new painters into the hobby with this Kickstarter and hundreds of them are at the Reaper Forum being taught by the painters there. It's a pretty exciting place to be right now.

Thanks for posting - Nice work! I had wondered about using one of these as a potential Grendel. How tall is it?

Here's a picture of him with the Reaper Dwarf I'm working on to give you an idea of scale.

Good work, real fantasy colours...they are almost psychedelic, but nice and so vivid.
I have two of these beasts but I have not yet painted..

I'm glad you like the colours. I've only been painting a little over a year and all my friends are historical Wargamers and they didn't tell me that there was anything wrong with the way I paint.  I didn't know that this was unpopular and the trend is towards "gritty realism"  So thank you very much for the compliment. I needed that.

I like the brighter paint scheme. Nice charachter in that fig.  The pose and colors bring back memories of GW catalogs from when I was a kid, though I think your painting is better.

I'm so glad to hear that some folks like the colours I'm using. Maybe I should just call myself a "Retro Painter"

The Big Slimy Dude painted up TERRIFIC. The super highlighting gives him an unhealthy aura which suits him perfectly. That is a super way of snapping out of a funk...VERY WELL DONE!

I used Reaper Pale Green as a base, then used SW green as a wash. I then began adding increasingly large amounts of Reaper Pale Saffron to the Pale Green, until my final highlights were Pale Saffron mixed with a little white. I did about 7 layers on him to get this effect.  He looks radioactive to me. Maybe he ate a toxic mushroom :D