Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2024, 09:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What rules are you using?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
What rules are you using?
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:53:42 PM »
I keep looking around and there sure seems to be a large variety of sci-fi minis on the market and a lot of people here doing cool projects but there don't seem to be very many different rules systems out there that people are actually playing or at least few with a large player base. 

I'm pretty much playing Battletech and No Limits right now and using Savage Worlds for roleplaying.  I like having the ability to create my own settings or use existing settings without switching rules. 

I've been interested in Infinity and Tomorrows War and I own the rules for those systems but I haven't yet played. 

The only regular group I have been involved with lately outside of playing our home campaign with my wife is a small but dedicated Battletech group that meets at the local FLGS. 

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
Re: What rules are you using?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
I use Wastelands (they are now up to Wastelands 3 but I havenīt bothered upgrading) for Fallout inspired wargaming.

A free ruleset called Assault squad for pretty much Everything else Sci-fi wargaming I fancy at the moment.

I also used to play Star grunt 2 and Full thrust. But there arenīt anyone around to play it with anymore. :(

Sometimes I still dabble in one of the later WH40K versions or Necromunda.

I havent found a fantasy ruleset I fancy enough to lure me back into fantasy again. But my daughters are getting older and it seems to be easier to lure them into wargaming if they can play pancy treehugging elves.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
FUBAR seems to work, and so does ITEN.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:32:49 PM »
I use No Limits as well.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
Gruntz for 15mm

Dirtside II for 6mm

Savage worlds showdown for 28 skirmishing.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:53:29 PM »
I use Crooked Dice's 7TV for most 28mm future/"modern" skirmishing.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:24 PM »
I'd recommend 7TV for anyone who want to pick a set off the shelf and get on and play.

Having said that I'll doubtless also write a set of my own on the back of an envelope to go with my new space-opera type project....but only because I have a short attention span  :D

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 05:28:26 AM »
Our club prefers fast playing games, so we use the following games, almost none of which have much of a local following out side our group:

Mech Attack for N scale (10mm) mech combat with rebased mechwarrior figs
Panzer 8 sci-fi (with a few very minor tweaks) for mass combat sci-fi
WarEngine for sci-fantasy
In The Emperor's name for warband combat
Wastelands or "This is NOt a Test" for 28mm Post-Apoc, though I'm hoping to try Nuclear Renaisance soon
Full Thrust for the occasional starship game
Tomorrow's War once in a while, but the rulebook is something of an impediment to easy play.

A few of us also dabble in 40k and Warpath, and 4 of us bought into the Deadzone Kickstarter.

The ruleset I'm most looking forward to is the battletech fast-play game "Alpha Strike". It's coming out this summer and is the standalone version of the "Quickstrike" rules from the STrat-ops book. Extremely streamlined rules, 3d terrain and stats already exist for most of our rebased mechwarrior clix (it uses the small battleforce record sheets).  What's not to love?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:53:44 AM by eilif »

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 08:42:25 AM »
We play rarely but when we do we play a fair variety of different scifi games, all in ca. 28mm tho.

Our most popular games of late have been Dust Tactics, Dust Warfare, Infinity the Game and MERCS.

We're planning on test driving Batman Miniatures Game, Dead Zone, Judge Dredd, Urban War (the 2nd edition) and Warzone Resurrection.

We've tried and largely discarded for the lack of general interest AE: Bounty, AT-43, Cobalt-1, GorkaMorka, Metropolis, Necromunda, Sedition Wars/Battle for Alabaster, Space Hulk 2009, Starship Troopers, VOID and Vor The Maelstrom. Some in our group are (still) enthusiastic about Warhammer 40.000, WARMACHINE and Warpath so they may well get more playtime when I'm not around 8)

All of those are or were basically played with the original rules -- albeit extensively modified ones in some cases (I used to tinker with rules a lot actually but can't really be bothered any more)  -- but more or less commonly with stand-in/counts-as miniatures. We don't really have many complete armies for any games other than Wh40k and Wz (older versions obviously), actually.

If I were to go seriously out on the limb and start constructing a coherent universe where all the minis we have would actually coexist without having to be stand-ins for X or Y, I'd go with Defiance: Vital Ground and its exapansion/v1.5 Evolution of Arms.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:44:06 AM by tnjrp »

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
I use Warlords of the Wastelands (AKA Skank) with a few modifications for most of my Sci-fi, near future, modern and post-apocalyspe games. I know it's rules light approach isn't to all folks tastes, but I find it gives comparatively quick games, can shoe-horn in nigh on any model, and cant be taught to new players in a matter of minutes. and, best of all, it's free :)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Shawnt63

• Scientist
  • If we don't end war, war will end us.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »
We are using INEPTT in our group.
To join INEPTT Yahoo Group email me at - inep-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
or visit the site here - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/INEP/info

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
Combat zone for me :)

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 03:47:57 AM »
Flying Lead by Ganesha Games is our system of choice.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
Currently not as much as I'd like. Played AE Bounty for a while, but found it limited after a while. Occasionally fall back to Rogue Trader. Play (and playtested) Fireteam Andromeda a fair abit (15mm reinforced platoon level). I seem to be struggling to find a rule set that I really like, AE Bounty was almost there, but just missed the button for reasons I can't quite explain.

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »
We have been using Vor for our games the past year.  Other than tweaking the custom armies weapons for balance, it's been rather smooth.  And we really enjoy the mechanics.