Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:50:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689607
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gandalf's thread of stuff - aSoIaF kitbashes, Oathmark etc.  (Read 47109 times)

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
Re: Human Medieval Fantasy/aSoIaF Army
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »
Blackwolf: Thanks! I often dont know how to react when someone compliments my metallics(it has happened a few times before), as I do it in such a simple way. All GW paints: Chainmail over a black undercoat, and then Nuln Oil applied generously but carefully. For the Tully soldier, his scalemail is chainmail washed with Devlan Mud, and then some more Chainmail on top of that. His helmet is Screaming Bell over Mephiston Red(SB seems to cover so well that in the future I will just paint it over black.) The gold is just one of the gold paints from GW painted over black or Snakebite Leather(or another brown color) and then washed with either Nuln Oil or Devlan Mud.
I don't consider myself to be a very good painter(quantity over quality) but I try to be very careful.

Captain Blood: What an honor! Seeing your WotR models were what inspired me to start painting historical models. I am a big fan, and I am looking forward to when you will get your hands on the new medieval kits that the Perry brothers are working on.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »
I finished the first knight from the Fireforge boxes that I bought a couple of months ago.

The paint scheme is taken from an example from the 4th ed Bretonnia armybook, and there are a few more examples from those pages that I will use.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »
I LOVE the colors you chose; AND the brushwork & heraldry are OUTSTANDING. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »
The heraldry is really nice, perfectly straight lines!

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 09:32:51 AM »
max & DaefNala: Thanks! That was the first shield I have painted in a very long time, and decided to do something relatively simple. The example that I worked from(old Bretonnia armybook page) simply had a white X, and I tried something similar, but different.

I played my first game with this army last sunday, and realised that I didn't have a proper model for a general. I converted and painted Amory Lorch, a knight who(in the GoT books) commands a Lannister warband and becomes castellan of the cursed castle Harrenhal.

I have found two different heraldries for Lorch:
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Lorch
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Amory_Lorch

As far as I can tell, the books themselves only mention that he has a manticore on his shield, nothing more. I decided then to use the House Lorch shield, that I found more interesting. I gave Amory a big spiked mace: a representation of the spiked tail of the manticore. Since I did not want to repeat that image on the shield I decided to paint the manticore as a simple lions head with batwings, instead of the icon seen on the reference image. The result is not great, but it looks fine from a distance.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 04:19:42 PM »
Looks pretty good to me!  8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 07:59:20 AM »
Nice figure. Keep 'em coming  :)

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
This is my slowly growing force of Tully soldiers. It is now 1 point in Saga!
1/2pt of infantry warriors
1/4pt Crossbowmen
1/4pt Hearthguard

Though I am not yet very familiar with the Saga rules, I am currently planning to play them as Normans. There is still a lot to do before they are ready for the tabletop, but maybe I will have 4pts by christmas? That will be my goal.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Reinforcements for Gregor Clegane:
1 rider
3 footmen

I am planning to make at least 5 riders(in fact, I have 2 more basecoated riders ready to be painted) for use as a medium cavalry unit in Warhammer, and mounted Warriors in Saga.
The footmen are Empire Swordsmen in Warhammer, and I am planning to make at least 20, with command models. The next 4 models I am about to paint will probably be additions to this unit. When they are done, I have a couple of Fireforge knights to paint, and then I will go back to painting Perry WotR models for a while.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »
Last update for today:

A Beesbury knight.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Beesbury

House Beesbury is a noble house in the Reach, sworn to House Hightower, who in turn are vassals of House Tyrell.
I am not planning to make a warband from the Reach, so I had no good reason to paint this model as a member of house Beesbury.

As you can see, I simplified the heraldry by painting only one beehive instead of three.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 01:43:56 PM »
Very nice painting! Love the heraldry.

Just one question, the centre knight on the first picture of your first post (can't quote it, as it's an attachment), would he happen to be Sir Anthony of Stark?  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 02:22:15 PM »
Great shield!  :)

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
Great work all the way around!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
Really nice stuff! I, too, really like the idea of having a generic medieval/fantasy army that you can have on hand "just in case" a game falls into your lap. Keep up the good work!

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »
Looking good.  My own ASoIaF project stalled hard, so I sit in admiration of your dedication. lol

I don't suppose we can get a straight shot size comparison of the Perry and Fireforge plastic foot can we?  I have looked all over for one and either they are not out there or the Google is weak in me on this.

Keep up the good work.

~Eric