Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gandalf's thread of stuff - aSoIaF kitbashes, Oathmark etc.  (Read 47098 times)

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
EDIT: Im changing the name of this thread, because I've started to post a lot of stuff that is not related to the original thread title.

Hello,

I am currently building an army of medieval warriors that I want to be able to use in almost any game.
Currently it is approximately
600pts Empire in Warhammer Fantasy
800 pts Age of Trebuchet(LotR SBG variant)
4 pts SAGA(using the fan-made Lannister battleboard)

I havent started basing any models yet, but I want to do that pretty soon.
All models so far are from Perry Bros WotR range except for my Wizard, but I am currently working on some Fireforge models, and I have some metal knights that I will introduce to the army eventually.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:09:53 PM by Gandalf the G »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Human Medieval Fantasy/aSoIaF Army
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:21:13 AM »
That's an EXCELLENT start. Red & yellow is a favorite color combo with moi. Keep up the FINE WORK & keep us posted!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:19:01 AM »
Those are looking really nice. I've been thinking about getting some plastic historical sets to use for those same 3 rule sets. I'm struggling to find the best way to base them. 20mm squares are needed for warhammer but how will that size work for lotr sbg? It shouldn't matter for saga I guess.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:50:28 AM »
Looks like a worthy start.  I'm a big fan of armies for use across game systems.  They'd probably work well for Kings of War also. Will be watching for future progress.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 06:14:49 AM »
Those plastic kits are extremely versatile for this sort of thing.
Have a search in the Medieval Adventures section for Captain Blood's extensive thread showing their versatility.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:58:41 AM »
Mason: Don't worry, I've seen Captain Bloods excellent, excellent, excellent WotR models.

DeafNala: Thanks, I certainly will. The minitures in the images are not the whole army so far, though. In fact, I finished the 51st model yesterday. Army pictures coming soon, promise!

deathjester25: I can see why 20mm round bases would be slightly problematic in LotR, but I dont think it is so bad.
For WHFB, I think roundbases will work fine, as long as you use movement trays and you are not super competetive.
My decision to use these roundbases are 1. round bases look better(IMO) and 2.versatility.
The bases are from Sarissa Precision, and though you can't tell in the picture, the cavalry is actually based on 25x50 oval bases. I'm very happy with the quality and customer service of Sarissa.

ellif: Thanks! I haven't read the rules of Kings of War, but my intention is to be able to use the army for almost anything, building movement trays and temporary multibases as needed.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »
KoW is a very light ruleset with some similarities to WHFB, but not a direct clone. It's probably lighter than any of the ones you listed.  Also, the rules are free, so there's no need to buy a set that you might not like.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
Nice painting and the yellows are very good.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
Really nice, the yellows are great indeed, but so is the red!  :)
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 08:51:16 AM »
Nice work - very usable for Impetus as well

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
Really nice start to the army there. I'm also something of a fan of the generic army for all occasions. The round bases are also my current choice (again an aesthetics thing), although I've gone for 25mm across the board which might require an understanding opponent if I ever get to play WFB.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
Some reinforments have arrived! Three soldiers who will fight under the banner of House Clegane, a standard bearer for my knights and a fully harnessed knight on foot.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
A test model for some tully soldiers. I want to make at least 8 of these soldiers in fishscale armor to make a point of warriors in SAGA, but if I am not too bored I'll try to make twice that amount.

I am planning to make some knights using the Fireforge models, at least 4 models but probably twice or three times as many. These will all have different heraldry, some from westeros and others more generic. Crossbowmen will be made with the plastic serjeants, but they will not be as uniform as I am planning to make the spearmen. Then I also want to make some peasant bowmen using leftovers from the WotR infantry and Gripping Beasts Dark Age warriors.
As warlords I am planning to make Edmure Tully on foot and Brynden the Blackfish in case I want my warlord mounted. As infantry Hearthguard I want to make a standard bearer, musician, captain(Robin Ryger) and master-at-arms(Desmond Grell).

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »
Ooooh. Those are all very nice. Well done  :)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »
Cracking,nice metallics :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.