Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 10:22:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jevenkah and Teshub with more topless, er, roofless buildings  (Read 37354 times)

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
Re: Jevenkah RE-Paints Teshub's Models (10 feet of curtain walls + towers: DONE!)
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2015, 08:51:29 PM »
Jevenkah,
Thank you for the information.  The sheer scale and look of this castle city is great.  I hope to construct some more intimate versions in the near future.  I am familiar with and have used the foam cutting and spackling techniques you mentioned.  Do you have much trouble with chips in the finished spackling when transporting pieces to and from events?

If I was to attempt a project of this size, I think I might have made the original set of component pieces and then cast the additional ones.  But, if you had a production system like I envision for completing these and churning out pieces, that method could be just as good.  That method results in much lighter pieces that having made cast ones.

Your castle is quite good looking and the modular nature for different arrangements as needed is a very good feature.  This is an inspiring piece of work.  Please show us some game pictures of the castle.  Thanks for your response to m questions.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Jevenkah RE-Paints Teshub's Models (Aigist Hold in-game)
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2015, 03:58:36 AM »
Jevenkah,
Thank you for the information.  The sheer scale and look of this castle city is great.  I hope to construct some more intimate versions in the near future.  I am familiar with and have used the foam cutting and spackling techniques you mentioned.  Do you have much trouble with chips in the finished spackling when transporting pieces to and from events?

You're welcome! We don't take the game on the road, however the pieces are handled quite a bit when we play. The edges are always rubbing up against each other in the set-ups and they don't chip the paint. This set was first painted about 3 years ago and I just had a handful of white dots to fix. The only time I've lost down to the foam was from a drastic drop of one tower.

If I was to attempt a project of this size, I think I might have made the original set of component pieces and then cast the additional ones.  But, if you had a production system like I envision for completing these and churning out pieces, that method could be just as good.  That method results in much lighter pieces that having made cast ones.

This is part of why playing with folks who aren't used to the lightness of the material could get nerve-wracking.  :o
If one put enough lead on the shortest segment for example, it could topple from a slight bump.

Your castle is quite good looking and the modular nature for different arrangements as needed is a very good feature.  This is an inspiring piece of work.  Please show us some game pictures of the castle.  Thanks for your response to m questions.

We haven't been to Loland Keep (the big huge one) with these pieces, but we did get to play with the smaller mountain fortress of Aigist Hold last night:

We kept it concealed in the storage room to start the adventure. Our niece, the newly-made jarl Aedelfred, and her champion Melkor, had to travel for a few days to reach Aigist. On the table to the right is the flatland, to the left are the foothills of the mountains.

The large landscape bases remained, the trees and large rock formations were cleared off.

Then my husband carried the whole fortress, with a unit inside as well, and majestically placed it on the game table.

The kids Ooohed and Ahhhhed. It felt like he was bringing out a cake.

Our niece and I are not tall people, the one thing we will do differently next time is build the keep off-center so we can reach into it! Playability is the primary concern. The men-folk didn't have much of an issue.

There was a great fight scene in the courtyard that I had to stand on my tip-toes to see.

More gaming tomorrow night! Back to Mosveld, King Kvig Melgarson's capital city, and the new look walls!
Jevenkah

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2015, 04:30:13 AM »
Hurray!!! More nice photos.
As for the height problem, if you have some milk crates it might help. Hell, an exercise step or even a Wi-Fit board would give a few inches.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »
OH BABY...MORE PHOTOS! Accessibility does seem to be a problem that has remained a constant for at least as long as I've been gaming. Low tables cause back pains & high ones necessitate being a contortionist if there are LOVELY fortress pieces & such in play. Playing on the floor generates knee problems in Old Age...speaking from personal experience. All that aside, I find your gaming reports & photos of the minis, scenery, AND the Folk playing with them to be motivating & inspiring. VERY WELL DONE!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:55:21 AM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2015, 11:13:12 PM »
Could I ask for a Photo of the hot-wire tools you are using for that kind of stonework, please?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2015, 12:52:53 AM »
Hurray!!! More nice photos.
As for the height problem, if you have some milk crates it might help. Hell, an exercise step or even a Wi-Fit board would give a few inches.

I actually have a short step-stool I stand on to take pictures, but I wouldn't trust myself on it leaning over that nice new curtain wall to maneuver minis in the courtyard.

OH BABY...MORE PHOTOS! Access ability does seem to be a problem that has remained a constant for at least as long as I've been gaming. Low tables cause back pains & high ones necessitate being a contortionist if there are LOVELY fortress pieces & such in play. Playing on the floor generates knee problems in Old Age...speaking from personal experience. All that aside, I find your gaming reports & photos of the minis, scenery, AND the Folk playing with them to be motivating & inspiring. VERY WELL DONE!

Thank you! Plus, there is the new-fangled idea of camera phones, and folks trying to get really cool angles by precariously dangling them by 3 fingers over populated areas. We encourage people to get into the game, and simply make the tall ones handle the middle of the table.

Could I ask for a Photo of the hot-wire tools you are using for that kind of stonework, please?

They are from:
http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/Tools-w-out-Power/

Teshub used the precision engraver

and scroll table.

They are not the longest-lasting tools. I think we've gone through 2 engravers, 2 power supplies, and we're not sure what will be working the next time we go to use them. Having said that, they made really nice walls. If you notice, the stonework and corners on all the towers are lined up, inside and out, requiring precision cuts and angles. The tools worked wonderfully for that!

And...it is snowing again, forcing a game cancellation, so we are making old tents into market stalls for Mosveld!

Before population:

and the tents as they started the day:

They are getting shelves and permanent baskets of goods right now. Looks exciting!
Jevenkah

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2015, 01:21:12 AM »
They are from:
http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/Tools-w-out-Power/

Teshub used the precision engraver

and scroll table.

Thank you, I suspected the engraver. I do have a solid hot-wire cutter (Thermo cutter) that should do for many needs, but I think I have to get an engraver, too.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Jevenkah RE-Paints Teshub's Models (Tent Stalls for the Market)
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
Last night Teshub put shelves on our 20-yr-old market stalls.

They're waiting for me to touch-up the tent tops, while Teshub paints the goods. Then we'll glue the baskets in place on the shelves.

The shelf is only to the middle of the tents, so there is room to put minis behind the goods.

Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Jevenkah RE-Paints Teshub's Models (Tent Stalls for the Market)
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2015, 09:31:29 PM »
LOOKIN' GOOD! Adding the wares raise the market stalls to the next level. If you feel ambitious/daring, stripes would look good on the canvass awnings.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Jevenkah RE-Paints Teshub's Models (Tent Stalls for the Market DONE)
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2015, 03:41:28 AM »
Stripes! Scary! I don't think I could do freehand stripes for the first time on these particular tents. They're gathered on the sides and I'd be hard pressed to pull off convincing folds with a pattern. There is a tent or two in the collection with flat fabric on the top and I'd like to try striping those. Thanks for the idea, Al!

After dinner this eve we finished the stalls:

And couldn't wait to play with them:

So I continued to shoot Mosveld:

while Teshub figured he'd get out the League of Nil-ith Horn tents for me to dirty-up since he liked the job I did on the market tents:

Better get back to the brushes!
Jevenkah

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2015, 06:36:16 AM »
Stellar looking additions to the table. The tents and shelves are looking great, and your photography never disappoints. Bravo!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »
...and your photography never disappoints. Bravo!

I most heartily agree! The combination of SPLENDID miniatures & LOVELY scenery always comes to life in your BEAUTIFUL photos. VERY WELL DONE!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »
This is truly wonderfull!

Where are the baskets of produce from? Or did you make those yourself also?

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »
Lovely stuff :-* :-* :-*
Painting stripes is as hard as you think. I used an ink pen to draw the lines then you just paint between the lines. When finished you can tidy up the lines with the pen again.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2015, 02:39:32 PM »
Thanks all for the compliments and encouragement!

Dr. Zombie- Teshub and I are scratching our collective heads, but not coming up with a concrete answer. Our best guess so far is that we got the baskets from the now-defunct MegaMinis. We've had them for a while.

Thanks gamer Mac for the tips! It does sound pretty straight forward. I'm not sure where to begin though. By that I mean, we don't have stripes or patterns on anything right now, and I wonder how it will look to introduce them to the table. I really like the pop the colors make on your set, I'm getting more and more tempted to take the plunge. Everyone wants to buy their groceries from fancy places, right?

Jevenkah