Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:52:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 697
Total: 703

Recent

Author Topic: Stripping  (Read 3084 times)

Bezzo

Stripping
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
I have seen plenty of advice on stripping various paints. Like Oliver "I want some more"

Hard gloss enamels? On metal.

I have taken off the chunky stuff with a craft knife. What do I use to get in the nooks and crannies where the detail lies? I have seen Dettol advocated and to be truthful I LOVE Dettol (having been brought up to believe by my mother it was second only to penicillin as the World's greatest medical advance). I have soaked these devils in thinners for 5 days and it made not a dent.

Will Dettol work? I am afraid if I buy a bottle and fall off the Dettol-wagon I will be lost to it forever. Damn the stuff! I
know it could lead to my demise.

In a case report, a 42-year-old British man died from Dettol overexposure in May 2007. The autopsy was not able to conclude whether the lethal exposure to Dettol was via ingestion or inhalation

That could be me!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:19:54 PM by Bezzo »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Stripping
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:43:12 PM »
I've had great success with Detol mate! I used it on die cast cars. I bought a glass jar with a metal lid to avoid the fume issue!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
I've had great success with Detol mate! I used it on die cast cars. I bought a glass jar with a metal lid to avoid the fume issue!

Ditto, mate.

The last lot of old skool citadel were all coated in twenty five year old enamel.
Comes off easily enough after sitting in Dettol for a week.
Make sure you use the brown stuff, not the newer blue crap, as that does not work.

An old glass jar with metal lid works just fine.
Sharwoods Biryani Sauce is recommended, as that is bloody tasty!

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:54:12 AM »
go to Lidle and get their NOT 'Dettol' for 78p instead. same stuff.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:52:51 PM »
Bezzo, I can vouch for the effectiveness of Dettol! I've recently found my old GW armies, and decided to repaint them prior to rehoming them.

Tried Dettol, but also got some acetone-free nail polish remover, Fairy Power Spray and some Model-Strip (which is pretty brutal, going by the packaging) to try as well. I needn't have bothered, the Dettol went through 15 year old Citadel Acrylic like nothing on earth.

Said paint was undiluted and had been applied with a rolled up newspaper, but the dettol removed it all, wth no loss of detail, and allowed a smooth new paint scheme to be applied as you can see. If you want I can post a turorial.

Granted that was acrylic, I'd love to hear how you get on with enamel, as i've got some Hasslefree guys I'm looking to strip...

If Dettol doesn't work on the enamels though, the Model Strip will, and there's also a product called biostrip 20, which gets great reviews; failing that, brake fluid's nasty, but effective...

Cheers, and good luck!
Iain
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:15 PM »
Gloss enamel on metals? I'd try nitromors (dichloromethane) or caustic soda.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Heyer

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 01:28:58 AM »
Hi,i am from spain and i think we do not have dettol here,do you know something similar and avaliable in spain?can you provide me a picture of te actual product you are usually using to strip miniatures?i am really fed up with the bad smell of most i use :-X,thanks.

Pd:Bezzo,how does it work the lidl one?can you please give me the name?thanks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:40:07 AM by Heyer »

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 08:48:42 AM »
look for some thing that has 'Antiseptic Disinfectant' on the label.

Dettol is the brand name for a number of products, so Dettol Fairy Liquid is  different to Dettol Antiseptic Disinfectant.

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
  • "Left hand down a bit ...."
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 11:23:12 AM »
For acrylics Dettol works fine, just leave your figures to soak for at least 24 hours - if it doesn't work totally the first time round just give them another go.  Oh, and don't throw the used Dettol away as it's reusable.

For enamels I use Acetone which works really well, Superdrug sells their own brand quite cheaply but make sure you get the real stuff as they do sell a weaker 'ersatz' brew.

For Heyer, this is the stuff they sell in the U.K.

If you get any paint left in nooks and crannys, which tends to ball up when you try to remove it with needle or such, sprinkle some talcum powder on your dry mini and it'll come off a lot easier.
"My God, it's full of stars".  Dave Bowman.

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
dot3 brake/transmission fluid WILL strip enamels off metals.  Hell, it takes duco off cars.
It will also leave the bases intact (it will soften resin, though).

As with many chemicals, though, use of gloves and masks/goggles is recommended.  Brake fluid CAN seriously stuff your joints up as it IS absorbed through the skin.  Disposal can also present issues, but many mechanics have a drum that they dispose of their stuff in (which in our part of the world gets carted off for proper disposal).

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »
Only wimps use Dettol, real men use Nitromors and just take the pain  lol
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »

Listen to Bugsda....hard as nails, that boy!
 >:(

:D

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
Why all the Dettol on metal...  DIY house paint - Paint Stripper.  Leave it on over night and go at it with COLD water and a tooth brush.  If you cling film the pot its reusable a few times. White spirit will work but you'll have to leave it for a while...  very reusable and degreases the figures too.  Leave to dry well...

Methalated spirit good for acrylics.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »

Yep, Nitromors for me too. Strips paint off everything, gets dirt off the children too!  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."