Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stripping clix - not easy! Help?  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Stripping clix - not easy! Help?
« on: May 01, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »
I uncovered some BPRD clix minis that I mentioned in another topic, and I'd like to strip them before making a few putty adjustments. I don't know what kind of paint is on them, but my jaw nearly dropped when a few dunks in fairy power spray and isopropyl alcohol didn't make the slightest bit of difference. (these are the two best strippers I've tried so far)
I know I can probably do my stuff over the paint, but I would like to try to get a clean surface first. I'm thinking of a very quick dunk in acetone, or even picking up a bottle of that smelly dettol muck again; but does anyone else have any handy hints for stripping clix?

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: Stripping clix - not easy! Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 11:54:03 PM »
Warren, straight acetone seems to be answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYNSjfoe1TU

I want to try it, but still haven't found a place that sells that kind of acetone, just the regular one (mixed with other components) for nail polish removal.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 12:39:21 AM »
I use acetone, it works like a champ. Dunk & clean them with a stiff bristle toothbrush. I always clean them at the end with cold water, but let them dry throughly. After all the acetone evaporates the plastic will stiffen back up.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 06:48:03 AM »
I have found acetone to be the best, especially combined with an ultrasonic cleaner. I put a glass jar containing aceton in the ultrasonic cleaner bath. One cycle (3 minutes) and the figures are almost paint free.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 09:48:58 AM »
I have found acetone to be the best, especially combined with an ultrasonic cleaner. I put a glass jar containing aceton in the ultrasonic cleaner bath. One cycle (3 minutes) and the figures are almost paint free.

A new one to try in my cleaner, thanks :)

Acetone doesn't eat the figure at all?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »
Looks like that's unanimous, thanks guys. :D Though I'll echo Dewbakuk: Will the mini be fine? I guess that's the reason for only a few minutes dunking, though.

Rodrigo: I just had a google and saw that Boots (big pharmacy chain in the UK) sells wee bottles of pure acetone as a 'household solvent'. I might take a looksee next time I'm near one. Sorry that it doesn't help you, though!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 12:04:26 PM »
Looks like that's unanimous, thanks guys. :D Though I'll echo Dewbakuk: Will the mini be fine? I guess that's the reason for only a few minutes dunking, though.

Rodrigo: I just had a google and saw that Boots (big pharmacy chain in the UK) sells wee bottles of pure acetone as a 'household solvent'. I might take a looksee next time I'm near one. Sorry that it doesn't help you, though!

Yeah, dunking them more than a few minutes (even in modified acetone) makes the Clix go all bendy. I'll have to check the pharmacies around here. I visited 2 but they only had nail polish remover.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
Acetone is the way to go, too long and they will not only bend and soften, they'll go gooey and dissolve. I was trying to use Blob to make some Judge Dredd fatties and accidentally left one in overnight...
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 01:07:21 PM »
A new one to try in my cleaner, thanks :)

Acetone doesn't eat the figure at all?
As has been said by others - don't leave them in too long. I have found a 3 minute cycle in aceton followed by a quick brush and rinse in water to be adequete in most cases.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
And don't get too vigorous with the brushing either - if you go at it hard and long enough they will start to come apart on the surface, usually starting at a mould seam. You will need to go at it somewhat hard though, if only to get the paint out of the crevices - sometimes it's not worth trying to get the deepest paint out.

Don't worry about them going bendy though, they will harden again once the acetone evaporates. 

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 06:15:04 PM »
I must get an ultra sonic cleaner thingy.

I did some experiments with pure 100% acetone and Dettol on metals and the Dettol gave better results. But having said that, it was just overnight soaking in a jam jar, not an ultra sonic whosit.

Now I have 4 and a half litres of useless acetone sitting in my studio that I can't ship anywhere because I broke the seal on the container. Ho hum. Top tip - buying acetone in bulk is a big saver (if you like acetone). Buying 5ltrs worked out something silly like only twice the price of 1ltr. I also bought some chemical gloves for about £2 - less than washing up gloves!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 12:08:42 AM »
Acetone as has been mentioned.
I think both Fairoaks and Sundayhero both use it before their repaints.
And you want the type you get at a hardware store, not the nailpolish remover kind.

Grimm

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 06:49:52 AM »
I've compared some methods in this thread. I've started using the ultrasonic cleaner after these, but that is now my preferred meethod (less scrubbing)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=75442.msg922040#msg922040

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 01:26:19 PM »
Ta again, all.

Grimm: The stuff from Boots seems to be pure acetone. Besides, I'd already thought of the problem Cubs has, and don't want to be saddled with a big tin that I might not want or need. :)

And a wee amount of acetone in a wee jar might fit better in me own sonic cleaner, too. ;)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 04:09:38 AM »
Grimm: The stuff from Boots seems to be pure acetone. Besides, I'd already thought of the problem Cubs has, and don't want to be saddled with a big tin that I might not want or need. :)

And a wee amount of acetone in a wee jar might fit better in me own sonic cleaner, too. ;)
I don't know Boots. Not in the States.
I to been looking into getting a sonic cleaner. Can get a low end one for less than $30. But i hate the limitation of only going 3 min cycles at a time.
I have to get to the local hardware store myself for a bottle of acetone and try it out myself on my clix collection. :-)

Grimm