Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stripping Paint  (Read 17838 times)

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Stripping Paint
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 07:53:41 AM »
I use a toothbrush and water for unsealed minis. I only once scrapped paint of minis that were sealed, using a preparation needle to break the sealing. Works fine, you just need lots of time.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 05:38:44 AM »
I just used this stuff:
http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/products_detail?prodGroupId=9&catName=Cleaners+and+Conditioners&catId=3

It's the best so far, I've tried oven cleaner, brake fluid, rubbing alcohol. I put it on some GW skinks from the nth edition boxed set that someone had painted, then primed over the paint with what looks like an unmixed can of armory white primer (very gritty) and it took all the paint levels off. The skink looks brand new!
And it works even better on metals, very little scrubbing. I didn't follow their advice on using gloves, it did dry my fingers out.
I cut the bottom off a 5oomL water bottle, and filled the bottom of it with the Behr, and let them soak over night. It also had very little odor.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
Nitromors for me too, tried most other things over the years but Nitromors gives the cleanest removal of paint and varnish.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
Don’t know if it’s available where you live but I use Castrol Super Clean. It’s originally design for cleaning motor's parts. I let the miniatures in a tub of it for a few hours then scrub the paint left over with an old toothbrush.

In some cases, depending of the sort of primer used on the miniatures, It’s even possible that you’ll just need to rinse them in clear water to remove the excess paint.

Cheers!  :)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 04:00:04 PM »
Castrol sold it. The product in some markets is now just called Super Clean.

And it appears to be biodegradable so it might not be all that nasty to use :-)

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 08:46:03 PM »
On Castrol's Super Clean.

We call it teh 'Purple'.

This is a very effective and safe product if you use it correctly and take precautions.

I use Super Clean for acrylic paint on metal or on plastic. I have not tried it on resin.

If you use this product do not immerse your hands in it. Use gloves! Wear eye protection.

It'll bio-degrade you.

I use nitrile disposable gloves to protect the old flesh.

Give the painted mini a little soak in the full strength product for at least 24 hours for metal.  It may take a bit of time, you know if you have 'sealed' the old paint job. I use a toothpick to test the paint after the soaking.

I checked my plastic minis several times in the 24 hour soak. So far I haven't had one go 'bad' in the soaking jar.

Method

Soak the miniature in 'Purple'.

Scrub the mini. I use a medium to stiff nylon brush, or an old toothbrush.  Give the mini a good brushing. 

Most times I can get the primer off.

If any stick to the crevases a little more soak and then a dental pick usually makes it all nice and bare metal once again.

Give the mini a little wash in warm soapy water.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Also, since I am 'thrifty' I don't throw out the 'Purple'.  I save it in a sealable 'stripping jar'.

Your milage may vary.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:51:20 PM by Sendak »
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline meanderthal

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
I will give a hearty "hear-hear" to Sendak's warning about the gloves when using the Castrol "purple".  I forgot to do so one time.  As best I can tell, the fluid strips all lipids from the skin.  Not fun!  Luckily I realized my mistake quickly and rinsed thoroughly, but my hands tingled for a couple of days after!

Stuff works like a charm, though!
Winners never quit, and quitters never win...but if you never win, and never quit, you may just be an idiot!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 12:23:26 PM »
Well, I rarely strip minis, but I use ordinary 'brown soap' (that stuff you can use for cleaning wooden floors) for cleaning paint bottles/pots (to use as mixing pots), and it works for both plastic and metal minis - but only for acrylics.

Submerge the object in question in soap (preferably in a closed container, works best) for a couple of days, and then use an old toothbrush to remove the paint. If some remain in deep recessses, just repeat the process.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:34:47 AM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 01:20:31 AM »
Mr muscle kitchen cleaner. :)

I use it on metal plastics and resin alike.. never had any trouble.

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 03:01:49 AM »
Not for the feint hearted - use LACQUER THINNER (available at automotive parts stores here in the USA for cheap $5 qt.)  Put this in a sealable glass jar and drop your metal minis in for about a minute - this will dissolve almost any paint (not to be used on polystyrene plastic models).  Lacquer thinner does not generally dissolve resin (unlike chemical strippers).  Be careful and don't breath vapors  ;D!!  This is also good for cleaning your resin models prior to priming.

Offline BlackStatic

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 09:57:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies :)

I finally got around to it and used metho as i read some pretty good reviews and it's something that i always have lying around at home.

I soaked all the minis for a day or two then used the point of a needle file to get the paint to flake off and scrape off any stubborn bits. Ive only finished getting the paint off about ten but on average it takes me about 5 minutes per model.

I have nothing else to compare metho with but i found it effective and have no hesitation in buying second hand now and removing paint.

Cheers,  8)
Sam

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »
I use Nitromors - standard 'viscous' for tough jobs and 'Master Craftsmen's' for delicate work.

Its so good that I have no fears buying second hand painted models from Ebay etc. knowing that I can strip them easily in under a day.

Sorry I'm late to the party answering this one, but for stripping paint off lead minis I use paintstripper; Nitromors or Homebase own brand.
It works in ten-twenty minutes, wash off with water and rub with a stiff brush.

Don' t try this on plastic figures though...
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
I just recently tried nail polish remover to strip a bunch of old mini's.

Worked very well, but destroys plastic.

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 01:25:12 AM »
Good Old Dettol for me, a good going over with an old toothbrush and then a dunk in nail varnish remover (Acetone) if there is any of the nasty black tar stuff on them - you this alot if the minis have been base coated with black GW spraycan.

But for the love of the old gods, wear gloves if your using Dettol neat. First time I stripped any I appeared to have Leprosy of the hands for a week  :'( very painful...
He comes, he comes, Zalgo!

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 07:18:39 AM »
I recently came across Colron Hard Finisher Stripper which is designed to strip back furniture to the original wood. The results were praobably the best I have had so far. It needed very litt;e scrubbing with a toothbrush and being a liquid rather than a gel wasn't half as mesy.
As usual it warns you to wear gloves but I didn't and without any painful results.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.