Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:27:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690594
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stripping clix  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
Stripping clix
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:23 PM »
Has anyone found a way to strip off the factory paint jobs on clix figures?

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Re: Stripping clix
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:19:21 PM »
Many of us avoid the whole question and prime on top of the factory paint-job, but our own Sundayhero has gotten some very good results using acetone (see his thread here):

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=34305.0
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:34:31 PM »
Ah, ok. Thanks for that. I guess I'll give it a go.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 11:50:32 PM »
Thanks for the link, I'd missed that thread.
Some lovely paint jobs in there too,  :-*
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
I have stripped clix figures often enough myself and can confirm that Acetone does the trick like nothing else but that you do need to be careful as some figures will overreact.

Use just enough to remove the paint and try not to overdo it. It's tough though, because you will need some soaking and friction to remove all the paint, especially from tight corners. If something is too deep or firmly lodged, I may sometimes leave it be to avoid destroying the figure.

Just use good judgment and do one figure at a time, I guess. Oh and wear something to protect you from fumes/work in a well-ventilated area!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »
Acetone is the only thing I have found that works too.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:30:24 AM »
Ok, I've got some Acetone and I'm ready to begin. Roughly how long should I soak the figures?

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 01:44:57 AM »
Ok, I've got some Acetone and I'm ready to begin. Roughly how long should I soak the figures?

WOW ! hold your horses.
Dunno how they did it, but I'm guessing they just dipped it or used a lump soaked in acetone to remove the paint.
If you soak 'em you risk dissolving the figure and ending up with a puddle of molten plastic.

Look at the ladies (and the goths  :)), they wipe of nailpolish from their nails with soaked cotton pads, I don't think you ever saw one soaking their fingers in acetone, did you ?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:10:53 AM »
WOW ! hold your horses.
Dunno how they did it, but I'm guessing they just dipped it or used a lump soaked in acetone to remove the paint.
If you soak 'em you risk dissolving the figure and ending up with a puddle of molten plastic.

Look at the ladies (and the goths  :)), they wipe of nailpolish from their nails with soaked cotton pads, I don't think you ever saw one soaking their fingers in acetone, did you ?

Seconding this! You may want a brief dip if the figure has lots of little crevices and holes, but it's gentle friction that'll get all your paint off, not sheer volume of acetone.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 07:12:50 AM »
Love what this guy does on his site he is very inspiring and had a semi tutorial on stripping clix with some of the odd stuff that occurs.  Plus his conversions are awesome!
http://gnotta.blogspot.com/
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
Dip them for a few seconds.  Use a soft bristled tooth brush or a soft sponge to wipe the figure.  You can sometimes dip the brush or sponge in the acetone and use it on the figure.  I usually dip the figure in the acetone for a few seconds to start and then dip the brush or sponge in the acetone as I go.  For sponges I was using cut-outs from a Chessex case.

Be very careful with the figure once it has acetone on it.  They can become very soft and will take a finger print or brush mark if you are not careful.  You really want a well ventilated area and a mask can't hurt.  Gloves too.  You should rinse the figure when your done.  I actually did a few times during the process.  It can be a long process depending on the paint on the figure.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
I have stripped clix figures often enough myself and can confirm that Acetone does the trick like nothing else but that you do need to be careful as some figures will overreact.

Yes, I also ruined a few figures with that technic. But the overall result is good.

I dipped my figures in acetone for a few seconds, I wanted to be fast as I had to strip a lot of figures. But for my next projects, I thing I'll go with a dipped old toothbrush instead of the acetone bath (to avoid the problems we spoke about before).

What I do also when I have several figures to do in the same time, I've got a bowl full of clear water, once the figure is stripped I dip it in water and let it in during the time I'm stripping the other ones, trying to "stop" the acetone action.

Once everything is clean, I carefully wash the figures with soap and water.  Then I use boiling water (if needed) to make blades, weapons, etc... straight, and then I dip then in very cold water (with ice in it) to stop the reaction.

ANother thing that I noticed, is that some figures stay a little soft for a few days after the stripping. You can also "smell" the acetone on the figures for a few days (even after washing them).

And as it was said before acetone is a dangerous product (boiling water too), so be very carefull. Use at least protection glasses (especially when you use a teethbrush  : the acetone can be easily sprayed in your eyes).

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »
I picked up some HeroClix Judge Dredd figures and I'm amazed at how much goopy paint they put on them. The minis underneath are actually pretty detailed but you wouldn't know it under the paint. Thanks for the stripping tips. The LAF is such a great hobby resource.

Now back to rubbing Judge Hershey with a cotton swab.
"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure."

-- Winston Churchill

Visit Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine! http://roebeast.blogspot.com/
And RSquared Studios: www.rsquaredcomics.com