Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Idea for M & T Hidden Movement markers  (Read 3065 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Idea for M & T Hidden Movement markers
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »
Hi everyone. I was at Historicon in Virginia this past weekend. I wanted to play in a Muskets & Tomahawks game, but it was booked up when I tried to register. I watched it for about 20-30 minutes to see if I could get a feel for the game. I've read the rules, but haven't played it myself, yet.

One thing that struck me was the use of the Hidden Movement markers. My first impression is that I simply don't like them. The GM had gone to great lengths to set up beautiful scenery, provide very nice 28m figs to game the battle with, and even glued the templates for the makers onto poker chips. However, more than an hour into the game, there were still poker chips moving around out on the tabletop. I just don't like that look. I know the point of the markers is to provide some fog of war, but that visual effect is counter-productive to the lovely tables and figures.

Now this is not meant as a criticism of the GM, but rather a suggestion for folks like me who may be too much of purists or anal about setting up a pretty diorama effect.  How about this instead of those counters?

Purchase 20/25/28mm woodland animals, paint them up, and base and flock them on washers? Iron Wind Metals (old Ral Partha) makes a load of them -- deer, foxes, badgers, raccoons, etc. Use those for your markers instead of counters. So, instead of distracting from the look of your tabletop, the markers add to it.

Think of it in another way. The troops are moving through the woods. What's that rustling in the trees off to the left (the marker)? Is it an Indian warparty? Upon closer examination, was just a deer bounding away into the forest.

I think that is what I'm going to go for when I eventually get around to playing some M & T...

Comments? Suggestions?

Mike Demana

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
Re: Idea for M & T Hidden Movement markers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:24:08 PM »
This is brilliant! I've been struggling with a better idea for the same purpose in Sharp Practice. We've been using some cut out paper markers, but they really detract from the game æsthetics. I might have to give this one a try!

Thinking on the same lines, you could use a scout figure from the opposing force investigating footprints or the like, or maybe make some empty bases/washers with signs that someone has been there, varying from force to force. For instance hoof prints, wagon wheel ruts, maybe the remains of a campfire, or even discarded items like a lost hat or broken wagon wheel.

Just my 2¢ worth...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:35:47 PM by TheWeasel »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
Before I even got half way through your posting I was thinking. Use animals. Great mind think alike!  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

workerBee

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »
<snip>

Purchase 20/25/28mm woodland animals, paint them up, and base and flock them on washers? Iron Wind Metals (old Ral Partha) makes a load of them -- deer, foxes, badgers, raccoons, etc. Use those for your markers instead of counters. So, instead of distracting from the look of your tabletop, the markers add to it.

<snip>
Mike Demana

Unless one does that as part of the terrain currently, seems viable...

Gracias,

Glenn

I can see the whispers now (Our markers are the rabbits.  Those squirrels keep getting closer!  The squirrels must be the Indians!)

workerBee

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
<snip>

Now this is not meant as a criticism of the GM, but rather a suggestion for folks like me who may be too much of purists or anal about setting up a pretty diorama effect. 

<snip>
Comments? Suggestions?

Mike Demana

I am a "gamer" and the functionality of terrain rates high in value but the use of counters or chits doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 12:12:59 AM »
It's a great idea. Ive been looking for some good stags in the UK for a while but not finding much.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
Foundry sell deer

I personally use Indian figures painted Matt black
These have a number on the bottom of the base to record whether they are dummies or real

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
For our Plains War games we did the same - a few jumping deer and antelope tokens and quite a few flocks of startled birds.

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 04:56:24 PM »
For our Plains War games we did the same - a few jumping deer and antelope tokens and quite a few flocks of startled birds.

Startled birds! Brilliant! Do you have them taking flight? (Any pictures available?)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »
I use woodland animals for hidden markers.  I've been collecting them for years.  I have some by Iron Wind (Ral Partha), Honorable Lead Boiler Suit Company (Moose is HUGE!), Mega Miniatures, and Foundry.  Some of the smaller animals I also put on my terrain too like squirrels, racoons, a fox (near the chicken coop), turtles and beaver on my rivers etc. 

Mega miniatures made alot of the smaller woodland animals such as squirrels, racoons, turtles, possum, skunks etc.

Darkoath

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I've been looking at various hidden movement rule sets. Could anyone give me the Coles' Notes version of how M&T handles it?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
Startled birds! Brilliant! Do you have them taking flight? (Any pictures available?)

They were taking flight - I used tiny plastic wedding doves. Give me a week to finish my remodel project and I'll dig them out and get a picture.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »
We had a bag of mixed indians (from Old Glory) that included 6 prone figures - we plan to use those as markers. Undecided if we will number the bases or just paint them distinctively.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)