Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:42:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 603
Total: 608

Recent

Author Topic: House of Oscarus...humble beginnings. (Pontus fight, last page!)  (Read 19494 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: House of Oscarus...humble beginnings. (Paul Hick gladiators)
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »
Just some added "tokens" I put together tonight. Sorry for the poor pics, was using my old camera.

The tokens are mainly for dropped weapons, thrown weapons, broken weapons etc.  I'll be adding a thrown net, and some more counters eventually.  I used some rather oversized swords from a Mantic sprue I had laying around, but they're close enough and more easily recognizable.  I also built a handful of palae? (the multiple of palus?).  They are the training posts at Gladiator schools.  I'll throw them on the board if I feel like gaming at a small training ground or ludus.  Some minor terrain to challenge movement a bit (or just place them off to the side for looks).

IMAGES MOVED TO FIRST POST
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:51:38 AM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: House of Oscarus...humble beginnings. (Counters/tokens added)
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »
These are very nicely done and well executed.

I have done some of these for myself, but yours are much more interesting.

Really like the broken shields and the shafted weapons sticking in the ground.

Those pali?? are cool and useful for obstacles in BotS.

If you need a sica try bending a straight sword.  ;)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »
Yeah, I thought about making a Sica, but then I realized a simple sword will work for any of them (heck, including daggers).  I may eventually try to make accurate replicas, but I have no square parmas available etc.  I used my last trident, so I can't have a broken trident etc.  There will be a lot of double duty.  The blue Scutum which is busted on the right side of the picture will be replaced as I don't like it (found a use for my miscast Brigade Games shields though!).

PS: Furt, I went over to my brother's house (he had a baby girl two days ago) and he mentioned twice, without provocation, wanting to play "the gladiator game" again. :D  Unfortunately he'll be busy and I'm starting up work again soon, so my games will decrease, but you got him hooked!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »
Somebody really needs to make a 28mm sprue of common gladiator weapons and shields. I can't believe it hasn't been done yet.

Agree that tridents are scarce as well. Foundry used to actually give out retiarii in a pack without any tridents at all.  :o

PS: Furt, I went over to my brother's house (he had a baby girl two days ago) and he mentioned twice, without provocation, wanting to play "the gladiator game" again. :D  Unfortunately he'll be busy and I'm starting up work again soon, so my games will decrease, but you got him hooked!

Congrats on your new niece mate. A great sign your brother wants to play again! I'd conveniently lose his Negrix's character sheet though.  ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »
Oh, I will see the fall of Negrix...one way or another! (clenches fist)

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:08 PM »
Nice tokens - I think they came out really well!  I've thought about doing something similar, seeing how well yours came out now I'll have to.

I think it's "pali", not 100% on that, though.  Usually the "-ae" suffix is when the singular form ends in "-a", whereas the "-i" is for words ending in "-us."   This based entirely on observation, not any actual knowledge of the language.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2013, 01:06:26 AM »
Nice tokens - I think they came out really well!  I've thought about doing something similar, seeing how well yours came out now I'll have to.

The more I think about it, the more essential these types of counters become in a game comprising of basically only two figures. With some effort you can elevate the appearance of the game dramatically with simple additions like these - much better than cardboard counters anyway.  :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2013, 01:09:54 AM »
I like that the game is modular...heck you don't even "need" miniatures.  So you could print off some pictures of gladiators and print off a single page of hexes and play the game...or go as nuts as you want.  I do think it'll add a lot when needed.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »
I think it's "pali"

Absolutely correct; palus is second declension so does become pali for the nominative plural.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »
Good to know, thanks!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
So I had a random package show up in the mail the other day - it was my favourite set of Foundry gladiators that I had ordered a long time ago, but they'd been back-ordered.  I put them together and gave them a lick of paint.

I took down my lights and table, so I apologize for the less than ideal photos.

IMAGES MOVED TO FIRST POST

I took a Thraex for the set and decided I only have one Hoplomachus model (my favourite class).  I decided to modify this guy into another one, since the equipment is almost appropriate.  Simply added a spear and a small dagger in his parma hand.  I'm actually pleased with the quick hack job.  And now I have two Hoplomachii! (something I was upset to see is not in the new Paul Hicks groups!).  

Overall I definitely prefer the quality of the Foundry stuff.  Bigger, slighter more exaggerated details make them much easier to paint.  Belts/straps etc. are more defined.  I'll be picking up the last of the Paul Hicks stuff too I imagine, but I really enjoy painting the Foundry stuff much more.  There is a lion which comes with this set so I'll paint him up some time to try out the animal/beast rules for BOTS.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:52:03 AM by Elbows »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: House of Oscarus...humble beginnings. (Four new gladiators - page 4)
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »
Those look great! I wasn't impressed with the pics I've seen of Foundry figures, these show them off rather well.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
Excellent figures and tokens for dropped weapons etc.  I shall be 'borrowing' the idea but at 54mm scale.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »
Really nice. I must admit that although some of the Foundry gladiators are less than historically accurate they have some of my most favorite miniatures.That pack you just painted is the one Foundry pack I don't own myself.

The Hoplomacus is a great conversion and a perfect choice of figures too.  :-*

The Myrmillo in the first pick is an actual scaeva isn't he?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2013, 02:05:07 AM »
Yep, an actual scaeva.  This set is not too bad, but yes many of the Foundry are very questionable in regards to gear.  This pack is close enough for most.  One thing you'll notice is that you get random shields...many of which are small parmas, or inaccurate at best.  The warlord plastic romans shields have come in very handy fixing that.