Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 10:31:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Army Painter) Arthurians  (Read 4231 times)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
(Army Painter) Arthurians
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
I meant to get organised last month, but never got the photos sorted. Still, better late than never! I've got quite a backlog of 'arthurian' (for want of a better name. I guess the Migration Era could also cover it, althogh I think that sounds a little too academic for the project!)types, and this seemed like a good way to get at least a few of them cleared from the lead pile. I've started very ambitiously, 13 'saxons', 13 romano-britons, 4 druids and a handful of civilians... given the nature of the forces, I'm not sure a unit a month is entirely appropriate so hopefully a gaggle of related figures is acceptable!

I probably ought to say that the project is definitely not 'historically accurate' (can 'arthurians' ever truly be?). I tried that last time I attempted this period, and just got bogged down hunting details. Instead its going to be 'authenti-lite', more a case of sword and sorcery in the age of arthur than anything else. So I will happily be mixing ancient germans, franks, early and mid saxons etc figures in the 'germanic invader' forces, vs a very rag tag collection of christian 'wannabe roman' city dwellers and wild britons from the hills (plus their dark and mysterious druids, who may or may not bring the forces of the great old ones or the Celtic Otherworld). Burnt and abandoned villages are as likely to be due to rampaging giants as marauding picts. That said, there shouldn't be too much in the way of fantasy races - where they do turn up, I'll be trying to stick to myths and folklore rather than being influenced by D and D or Tolkien...

I probably also ought to say that I'm not planning on using my absolute best painting on these guys - simply as I've got quite so many to clear. So whilst I'll be taking my time on characters, the masses will be a little more simplified...

On to the figures...

'Saxons' - a mix from all sorts of ranges (and to a certain extent era's  ::) but hopefully they should look good done up together, and baring my reenactment buddies, it shouldn't be easy to pick ouit which ones are out of their era...)

Druids - Foundry & BTD

Generic civilians - Foundry & BTD again

Arthurian post-roman britons - GB plastics with West-Wind heads, a couple of GB welsh and a pair of Crusader Byzantines (on holiday?). These guys are going to be levy, so apart from having a uniform shield colour (white, vaguely based on a reference in the Goddodin) they will be pretty scruffy.

I'm currently planning on relying on hair colour (black & brown for the Britons, brown and ginger for the picts, and fairish for the saxons), beardy ness (Saxons  having lots of wild beards, everyone else a bit more refined and neater) and shields (vaguely uniform for the Romano britons, completely un-uniform for the saxons, randomly shaped for the picts) as well as a few quirks of dress (the picts don't seeme to believe in trousers, then again neither do some of the british romano britons; but wearing furs etc seems to be a very saxon thing) to differentiate the forces on the table-top and give them more of an individual feel...
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: (Army Painter) Arthurians
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »
Good collection of figures there  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
Yet another project I've got sitting around too! Very interested in watching this one, good mix of figs, and I'm digging that bit of fantasy thing too...

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »
Nice  ;) Just watched Arthur again and made me want to start another period. But instead I will watch this progress!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 11:48:16 PM »
Dark ages, great!

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:12:18 AM »
I am looking forward to this log.

Subscribed  :D
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

Offline Groove51

• Librarian
    • Small Guys Rule
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »
Liking it. And from now on I will be painting "a gaggle of related figures" as well. lol

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »
Thanks for the votes of confidence folks! Just stole a head start on the month by doing starting to do some of the base coats, and suddenly realised quite how many figures I had pulled out of the pile... Hey ho, looks like I'll be busy (especially as I'm trying to get a handful of figures sorted for my post-apocalyps 'year build' on the guild this month)!  lol

former user

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 10:49:32 AM »
You have a nice choice of figures.
Also an interesting period to follow

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
yeah great Choice of Minis as usual Xander,shouldn't be a Problem for you to paint a massive Horde in only a few Months right?  ;)  :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »
Subscribed  :D

Me too!

This shows promise with that great selection of figures you have chosen and, of course, the subject matter.
 8)