Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:47:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/72 Zulu project- Isandlwana, Rorke's Drift AARs p2 (27 Sep 2013)  (Read 8639 times)

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
Hi all,

I'm starting a short project over the next few weeks to paint some 1/72 plastics for gaming using Battle Cry. Full details will be at my blog, but I'll post all the pics here as I go.

I've got a good head start, as I already have these 79 Zulus I painted a few years ago but never got around to basing.

Questions and comments welcomed!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:58:29 AM by Barks »

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
Re: 1/72 Zulu project
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:18 AM »
Zulus are now based! These are a mix of Esci and A Call to Arms.

I did some test setups of Rorke's Drift and Isandhlwana.

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:46:39 AM »

My Speedpainting redcoats technique (HaT miniatures):

Prep and base to taste- after a soapy warm water wash mine were PVA'd to 20mm washers and then the bases were built up with some filler and sand. I didn't de-flash these figures at all.

Colours used (Derivan Minis unless otherwise noted):

•     Army Painter Skeleton Bone spray
  •     Vallejo MC 70.995 German Grey
  •     Prussian Blue
  •     Roman Red
  •     White
  •     Celtic Green
  •     Light Chestnut
  •     Flesh
  •     Silver
  •     Desert Stone
  •     Vallejo 73.300 Sepia Shade wash

1 Basecoat Army Painter Skeleton Bone
    2 Boots grey; trousers blue; jacket red
    3 Webbing, piping etc. white. Green to collar tabs and cuffs. I blocked in all of the epaulettes, then filled in the middle with red and did the piping on the trousers.
    4 Rifle: brown with grey metalwork. Grey for the bayonet scabbard as well.
    5 Flesh, sideburns, bayonet. Touch up the helmet with Desert Stone if required.
    6 Sepia wash. I paint this on, and try to brush away any pooling.
    7 Flock to taste

I've slightly refined the process since these pictures were taken. I do the boots at the same time as the rifle (Step 4), and I paint the buttons and belt buckle gold (Step 5).

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:13:02 AM »
A nice result! 
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
I agree. Looks great with the new basing.
Curious to see more.
Björn
, ,

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
If you need some other bits and bobs Newline Design have NNC, Artillery, Cavalry etc :D

Nice project I gamed Zulu war a good 10 years ago using Newline and Qualiticast figures. I think I ended up with over 400 zulus....beware they can be addictive ;D

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »
Cheers; there's more to come, but there will be a bit of a pause whilst I'm working on it!

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 07:59:03 AM »
Bromhead & Chard

Durnford

Pulleine and Queen's Colour

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Natal Native Horse ( a bit patchy basecoat, unfortunately).

9 pr artillery.

Next time- Isandlwana!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
Umkhumbi wami ugcwele ngenyoka zemanzini which is Zulu for My hovercraft
is full of eels - lol.

Fantastic to see so many impis. One is always struck by the similarities between Zulus and Romans as the Zulu use of the iklwa and shieldis was very much akin to the use of the gladius and scutum and to think they were able to take on the worlds most powerful military at that time is remarkable. Always appreciate seeing 1/72nd minis.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:29:10 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »
Beautiful stuff.

I love that HaT mins have made the Anglo Zulu War in 1/72 a much more viable concept. Their range is wonderful, encompassing so much more than the (very attractive and serviceable) Esci British Regular Infantry and Zulu Warriors. Irregular Volunteers, Mounted Infantry, Cavalry, NNC, artillery, rockets, Gatlings, Colonial Wagons, it's all there in a mouthwatering plastic conucopia.

It's still on my 'To Do' list, to build myself a topographically as well as architecturally accurate Rorke's Drift in 1/72 scale. One day ... when I can fit it in the house.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Barks

• Librarian
    • Wargaming with Barks
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 12:02:59 AM »
Fantastic to see so many impis. One is always struck by the similarities between Zulus and Romans as the Zulu use of the iklwa and shieldis was very much akin to the use of the gladius and scutum and to think they were able to take on the worlds most powerful military at that time is remarkable. Always appreciate seeing 1/72nd minis.

Thanks, Golgotha! I see what you mean about the shortsword/ shield use, but for me Romans are more about disciplined blocks and the Zulu are swift moving aggressive warriors. I'm no scholar, though, and would appreciate being enlightened!

I love that HaT mins have made the Anglo Zulu War in 1/72 a much more viable concept. Their range is wonderful, encompassing so much more than the (very attractive and serviceable) Esci British Regular Infantry and Zulu Warriors. Irregular Volunteers, Mounted Infantry, Cavalry, NNC, artillery, rockets, Gatlings, Colonial Wagons, it's all there in a mouthwatering plastic conucopia. It's still on my 'To Do' list, to build myself a topographically as well as architecturally accurate Rorke's Drift in 1/72 scale. One day ... when I can fit it in the house.

It is an impressive range. I have limited myself to scenario-based refights, otherwise who knows where this project could go! I'd love to see your Rorke's Drift some day.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »
The Roman similarity is a relatively common observation - the military Historian Jon Guttman should however probably get the credit, though I stand to be corrected. Certainly there are more differences than similarities between Zulus and Romans. However the blocking and stabbing movement is the same when in close combat and results in inflicting injuries to the same part of the human anatomy, namely penetrating the soft tissue just under the ribs with the blade being thrust upwards so as to then inflict damage on heart and lungs. Likewise like a Roman a Zulu would throw a spear before then engaging in close combat with his iklwa. The use of a iwisa (often called a knobkerrie) is obviously not very Roman. See the reforms introduced by Shaka Zulu. For a cursory and visual appreciation there is also a very good TV series about him and it gives a good indication of Zulu tactics and weapons, I believe it is currently available on Netflix. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka_Zulu_(TV_series). By the way iklwa is a onomatopoeic word as it describes the sound the weapon makes when being extracted from the wound - charming. The iklwa is a shortened version with broader blade of what is otherwise an assegai. Interestingly these traditional weapons are still made, carried and manufactured in South Africa and consequently the fighting styles or martial arts in there use are still practised.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:30:37 AM by Golgotha »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »
I used to spend a lot of time on the Rorke's Drift forum and it was a veritable goldmine of expert (and some less than expert) opinions, research, busted myths and general immersion in all things Zulu. Many of our favourite authors on the subject are to be found there and I must have read half a dozen AZW books on recommendation from that site.

From my own angle, I would say it's worth keeping in mind the similarities between Roman and Zulu fighting tactics are certainly worthy of comment, but don't spread too far below the surface.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »
Very nice, especially the Zulus.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'