Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690693
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte  (Read 78678 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Warlord (Pro-gloria) plastic Landsknechte
« Reply #285 on: July 11, 2017, 06:23:10 AM »
How about Imugr or Flickr?

Oli did some Perry plastics with GW Empire crossbow arms as Gascon or early 16th Century crossbowmen and while they look great, part of me thinks the arms are bit long on the human side - maybe it's the slashed and puffy clothing. ???

Maybe this link work?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:34:16 AM by traveller »

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #286 on: July 11, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »
Sorry you don't like it. You haven't been here very long. If you find visiting this forum counter-productive, well, you don't have to come here.
very true.
how does one close his account? can you PM me how

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #287 on: July 11, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
Please everyone. There is no need for this level of angst.

These are toys we collect and paint as a hobby. If you like them, get some if not, then don't.

I myself have gotten 3 boxes of them as I think they are just the stuff to fill out the ranks. I could have buildt an entire army of the metals already available from Warlord, Artizan, Foundry TAG etc. But I also like my money! So these plastics are a cheaper option for me. Despite having a masters degree in History and Medieval and Renaissance  Archaeology and working as a museum curator. I am really not into button counting (I get enough of that at work - Litterally some days!). These are perfectly suitable Landsknechts for me. I figure a lot can be changed on these chaps just by the way you paint them.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »
What ever issues these may have I will probably get the bundle deal... I don't even collect the period- how sad is that!?! :'( :'( :'(

Offline pete17

• Bookworm
« Reply #289 on: July 11, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »
I Like them as they look like they'll be suitable for the 1540's and I stopped worrying about what mid 16th century European figures  looked like when I took a closer look at Breughel's paintings as it seems anything goes. From memory one pic has a halberdier in kettle hat, chainmail coat and leggings next to figures dressed in the height of fashion.

cheers Pete

https://thegreatitalianwars.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #290 on: July 11, 2017, 10:03:44 PM »
Just received email where Warlord is offering £10 discount - I am getting a box  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #291 on: July 11, 2017, 10:20:05 PM »
Me too. Ordered! Eight quid is too good to resist - although the five pounds shipping is a bit rich. Still, effectively that's 13GBP post paid, which is still a knock down price for a brand new product...

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #292 on: July 11, 2017, 10:21:25 PM »
Whatcha gonna use them for Richard  ???

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2017, 03:12:13 AM »
Me too. Ordered! Eight quid is too good to resist - although the five pounds shipping is a bit rich. Still, effectively that's 13GBP post paid, which is still a knock down price for a brand new product...
Is this a coupon? Still see $29.00 and since it's below $30, shipping is $12.50...

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2017, 06:35:16 AM »
Is this a coupon? Still see $29.00 and since it's below $30, shipping is $12.50...

It is a discount code but only for the UK webstore. The code is:

JULYFREE10-c3tecad8

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
When someone gets them can you do a comparison shot between GW Empire and Warlord please!

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #296 on: July 13, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
I've just received my box of Warlord Landsknechts and there were some pleasant suprises there as well as the expected downers. I'll start with what in my view are the bad points. I'm better at moaning than being complimentary.;
A) The artwork on the box is the original artwork commissioned by ProGloria from , I believe, Peter Dennis. Lovely picture but I'm not sure if Walord aren't breaking some trade descriptions by using it. If you compare the picture with the actual parts received you can not make up any of the main figures depicting in the artwork.
B) The arms in the box are very limited and, in my opinion some of them are just not typical of landsknechts. The likes of Stuart and Captain Blood will possibly utilise them with the Pery plastics to bring some of the Perry bodies forward to early Tudor times.
C) The bodies consist of three wearing breastplates and three wearing slashed cloth. There are no typical leather jerkins included. Though the one body with vertical slashing may be viable as a jerkin, I'll wait for someone with more knowledge of the period to pass their judgement on that..
D) The command sprue has only the one additional figure, though it does provide a drum and drummer's hands to use with one of the bodies on the main sprue. As none of these have any form of cross strap the drum is presumably held aloft by several coats of anti-gravitational paint and a lot of will power on the drummer's part.
E) There is only one variety of Katzbalger and dagger provided, which for such a very individualistic bunch of warriors is a shame.
The good points;
1) The figures are exceptionally well moulded, every piece is very clear and crisp.
2) The figures are smaller and thinner than other Warlord plastics I've seen(their ECW and Napoleonics) and appear to be suitable matches for the Wargames Foundry figures done so long ago by the Perrys.
3) When ProGloria was showing the 3 ups during the failed Kickstart I thought some of the faces were a bit too much like caricatures. This was a nagging worry to me once they were bought by Warlord Games as I regard many of the faces of their figures to be extreme caricatures if not gargoyles. However the faces have turned out really good and I have to admit I like them a lot.
4) The individual plumes on the sprues are not at all bad and will be very useful for tweeking these and Perry plastics.
5) Having had a bleat about the Katzblagers, I now have to say that they, the daggers, two varieties of pouch and the gun powder container are sharp little works of art. It is a pity there are not more on the frame as they're going to be so useful tweeking other early renaissance figures.
6)Nearly forgot, I think the sheet of banners/flags(five provided) are reprints of some of the original flags that were produced for and sold by ProGloria and are particulary nice, love the standard with the heraldy of the city of Nurnberg.

So all in all as much as I would have like the original ProGloria intentions, I'm happily suprised to discover that Warlord have not made such a pig's ear out of the silken purse as I expected.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #297 on: July 13, 2017, 09:26:21 PM »
Nice review, thank you.  :)

I also took advantage of the special code and have a box on the way. I'm looking forward to them even more now. Found a few spare bits from an old GW Empire soldiers kit and am hoping they will match well enough to squeeze a few conversions or even whole new figures out of them.

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »
Received my box this morning, my view for what it's worth;

Some of the parts individually are very good, the legs in particular as well as the armoured torsos but the unarmoured torsos aren't quite right but I'm a Landsknecht nut, aside from that they have that overall look about them.

Some of the heads are ok but with the notable exception of the Maximilian armet all of the helmets don't seem to be in proportion or indeed the right shape.

For me it's the arms, none of them are right, there's no puff and slash as per the legs. The arms are completely at odds with the rest of the figure and that's where these figures are lost in my view.

The accessories though few are very good but overall the visual appeal is at best 2/3 right if the right combination is used.

The arm issue can be worked around by sculpting or by using other arms from other sets but for me this box is a definite must for converting purely for the want of any viable alternative.

If you're not that bothered about historical accuracy or are using them as faux empire they're great but otherwise you'll need to convert them a bit.

All in all I guess it's 6/10 from me. From inception the box was attempting to cater for the wide breadth of the Landsknecht era with a view for fantasy appeal also and whilst I can see commercial sense in that some balance needs to be applied.

However it's the only Landsknecht plastic set in 28mm and people will buy it.

I'm still pleased they're out, any interest in this period is a bonus as it's so often overlooked.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:11:05 AM by Stuart »

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #299 on: July 14, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
Welp, just bought a few boxes. I'll try to make the first few historically accurate, and see if that feels like more trouble than it's worth. My primary goal is, in fact, a cheap fantasy Empire army, but if I can double them up as a reasonably acceptable Italian Wars force as well, that would be a nice bonus.