Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 06:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GW Chapel. Beauty is in the inside...  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
GW Chapel. Beauty is in the inside...
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:19:20 PM »
... Or not. ;)

As it's been recently said in other thread, GW's Fantasy scenery is among the best out of their production (specially when compared to what they're doing in recent times). I got the chapel and I wanted something 'different' for it. Of course I lack the skills that so many people over here have repeatedly shown, but I'm going for this weird idea and try my best.

That's it, I'm building the complete chapel. Of course its options are quite limited and there is no room for actual playing in the inside, but it allows some scenario ideas (the caracter spends a turn looking for the secret escape trap door/ no, you can't hide your 20 men unit inside the chapel/ whatever).

I'm unsure of what to do with those annoying skulls. I've been adviced to remove them, but that really goes beyond the quick and low profile work I was aiming here. The vegetation idea should work fine, but I still have not found a way to make it look good. In the meanwhile, I have painted some frescos in the inside. They're consistent with the skulls concept, but they are maybe too apocalyptical or gloomy, I'm not totally satisfied with them.

While I make some work on the outside, I'll try to figure out what can I do within the range of my skills to make it look more decent...

(A few more mumblings can be found here:
http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2013/08/building-gw-chapel-beauty-is-in-inside.html
http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2013/08/building-gw-chapel-beauty-is-in-inside_12.html)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Re: GW Chapel. Beauty is in the inside...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »
That, I would say, is pretty nice! Thanks for sharing.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:29:46 PM »
Spot on,looks great!  :o

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »
That looks great. Have also been mulling over how to de-skull GW scenery short of carving them off.

Was thinking of using green stuff to cover the recessed ones then carve stonework in. Possibly some vines growing thickly to cover them too.
Have fun storming the castle! ...and that really isn't me you know...

Gothic Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55943.0 - although on pause atm as too much RL stuff getting in the way.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:47:13 PM »
That's great! I can even recognise the paintings that you copied for the frescos.  :-*

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »
For the skulls, the easiest/fastest way is to mix some filler or similar material and just just plaster over them. I did it for a friends battleboard and scenery.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:35 PM »
For the skulls, the easiest/fastest way is to mix some filler or similar material and just just plaster over them. I did it for a friends battleboard and scenery.

So, did anything remain of the original surface? lol

I've considered carving but I fear the end result would be a handful of dust and no building. ;D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:01:22 PM »
What a great idea, Suber,
Great result too.
 8)

Love the frescoes.
 :-*

Very clever.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
So, did anything remain of the original surface? lol

There were some large patches of white before painting, yes :) Much improved though!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:21:30 PM »
I have this building and have painted and based it.
The thing is: I have no idea what the inside looked like until now as I bought it (cheap) assembled and did not really look inside.

Did it REALLY have skulls inside as well...?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:39:49 AM »
Nice work; there's not much room inside to work with, so you've done a great job making it look like an actual chapel. Well done. Now you've raised the bar for all us other folk... ;)

Mason; I have one in the to-be-finished-cue as well, but there are no skulls on the inside; it's prett plain actually. Why? aren't there enough on the outside as it is? :P

I covered as many of the skulls as possible too, but even on a small building like this, it's a mammoth task... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:47:18 AM »
Thanks everyone!
The problem is that even a plaster work should need some previous carving and I was really looking for some cheap/easy/quick way to finish this and move on the next thing ;D. I like the idea of the wall having 'something' on it, not being just a flat surface, but I'm still not fond of that load of skulls.

Did it REALLY have skulls inside as well...?

Haha, no, it doesn't, that would have been over the top even for GW :D. Hm, well, but if you think about it, that might have been kinda coherent, having the ossuary inside a cript, not on the outside walls ::).

For the moment I'm just painting the outside just as it is and fiddling with the idea of ivy, vines as suggested or some kind of vegetation. Shamefully my experiments are totally crap til now. I believe some of you have done real beauties in that field, is there any tip I should take? ???
Thanks for your kind comments and advice! :)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 08:13:52 AM »
I haven't been able to solve the skull issue to my satisfaction >:(. So it is still pending for me to find the skills to cover them with ivy or whatever and make the walls not to look covered with a crappy salad. D'oh!
Once painted, I thought it still lacked something.

A base, right. Something to still make it look different.

Err, not this way. Ehm...

That's better. Now let's make it look like a hill or something.

You see, just papier-mâché for the basic shape and DAS plaster for the rest:

Due to summer in Madrid, everything dries in no time ;). Some sand, flock and a tree later...

So that's it. Again, I still have the skulls on the wall, but I'm working on it...

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2013/08/building-gw-chapel-final-result-pt-4.html

I'm moving on different things for a while, but I'll let you know if I find a solution :).

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
That looks great, suber!
 :-* :-*

When I first saw the 'base' I thought: "NO!"
But it certainly works for me, nice result.
 8)