Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 12:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695826
  • Total Topics: 118721
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1739295 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1830 on: September 10, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
I've seen the site where these are being pirated.  Two interesting points.

1) It may be cheaper than GW, but it's still not inexpensive by a long shot.
2) These are not some hero stick-it-to-the-man people who are just attacking the big dogs.  They're also pirating Perry and Dark Age minaitures.

If I want something GW I'll buy used (Squats and Necromunda mostly), but mostly I'll just not buy GW, and certainly not from these recasters.

Agreed. I did the same and it warranted a 'Meh' from me.

I don't know why they'd bother pirating the Perry's (sounds like a good lyric for a Gilbert and Sullivan musical), I think their prices are very reasonable anyway.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1831 on: September 10, 2014, 07:43:58 PM »
Hi Chris,  Did I make a mistake posting the YT vid?  I thought it was ok only because it was a review of products and the context I introduced it in.  Just wanted to check.

Well, I'm not too happy since that fellow also posted a link to the company, but I'd assumed you did it in good faith, and I agree it is a valid topic. If you'd prefer, you could edit your post to summarize the issue without the link, but for now, I'd say we discuss it.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1832 on: September 10, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »
Well, I'm not too happy since that fellow also posted a link to the company, but I'd assumed you did it in good faith, and I agree it is a valid topic. If you'd prefer, you could edit your post to summarize the issue without the link, but for now, I'd say we discuss it.

Sounds good.  I certainly didnt mean to break any of the rules and will update it later once this conversation runs its course.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1833 on: September 10, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »
Agreed. I did the same and it warranted a 'Meh' from me.

I don't know why they'd bother pirating the Perry's (sounds like a good lyric for a Gilbert and Sullivan musical), I think their prices are very reasonable anyway.

As i said, it isn't so much about the savings as it is about these people feeling like some sort of revolutionary by not giving money to a real company and not realizing how silly and self defeating they are or how their money is going into a criminal economy.the types of people i see actually using these services seem to feel they are ENTITLED to have miniatures and should always get their way and as such don't have to pay what the company charges, and don't quite understand that this is a hobby, not a human right.

( they piss me off basically)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1834 on: September 10, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
It's not impossible that they will be shut down. Selling on the side is one thing, but open advertising is still a bit of a line crosser.

To put this in perspective, at the beginning of this year a Chinese site started selling counterfeit Magic the Gathering cards at the best mass-quality I've seen in 20 years, though they were still detectable due to font spacing issues and use of the wrong font (even though the font used is a free, publicly available common font) - probably because they didn't have anyone on staff familiar enough with Roman script to make the obviously needed correction.

There was a shop selling them and everything, but surprisingly they were shut down (for reasons unknown). Thing is, these guys are small timers (i.e. no party connections) and the Chinese government has ready control of their internet, so a complaint by a western company will SOMETIMES still net results when the solution is easy enough (get the local bully boy squad to shut them down, or at least shut off their website).

That said, Magic is owned by Hasbro, who almost certainly have more weight and established contacts in China than GW.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #1835 on: September 10, 2014, 08:16:04 PM »
That said, Magic is owned by Hasbro, who almost certainly have more weight and established contacts in China than GW.

Interesting story, and you might be right I do guess that Hasbro has quite some string to pull in china. Fascinating economical-political powers at work there I never thought about.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #1836 on: September 10, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
Sounds good.  I certainly didnt mean to break any of the rules and will update it later once this conversation runs its course.

Its a valid thing to discuss, as regardless of the GW angle it cheapens a hobby, that I for one really enjoy. I have got home from work and had a better look at the video - doing so in the office is a bit tricky with it being open plan....

I Wanted to watch it through to the end but got a bit pissed off by it, as that, and the link, made me think he wants to justify it as ok. Maybe I am being a bit of a troll there but that pissed me off enough to stop watching. I might be wrong but I can't be bothered watching him further.

Not fussed how cheap or not they are, or how good, its not good for my hobby and the pleasure I am getting from it.

Biggest frustration being that I know they will always find willing customers for it.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1837 on: September 10, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
thing is the illegal crime companies (yes companies read illicit, this is not mickey mouse anymore.) have no moral compass what so ever. Today their target is on GW because they can make a good earn on it. Tomorrow it might be fake anti malaria medicine or a bit of human trafficking or drugs or all 3 and more.

If you have any sort of basic morality you dont do business with cartels. It aint cool it has no edge and marks you as someone who is stupid and greedy or morally bankrupt and greedy. Like cartman says 'Not cool.'

I do believe i mentioned the idiocy of giving money to a criminal just below the part of my post you quoted :)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1838 on: September 10, 2014, 08:40:28 PM »
Personally I was not only shocked at how brazen the guy was in the video talking about the stuff, as if it were a legit product review, but with the fact that the company has a website.  To me, this openess was what i found to be so noteworthy.  I've heard of all sorts of recasters from Battletech, GW and even older Dark Future lines, as well as a ton of others, I've just never seen it done so openly.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #1839 on: September 10, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
But how much is that new Space Hulk slightly limited edition going to go on sale for?

From what I've seen, it'll be going for $125USD/€100/£75.

Not actually too bad, and less than I expected. Still, the original's up in my loft, I have a couple of dozen of the original metal terminators (still my favourite), so I think I'll pass. Anyway, there's always next year, when they reissue it again ;D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1840 on: September 10, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
Not looking forward to seeing the NZ mark up though. This may be expensive to ship from overseas.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1841 on: September 10, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »
Leaked WD images (C&D-ed off the internet by now...) put it at AU$ 190 and NZ$ 235.  :?

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1842 on: September 10, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »
You may be interested to know that it has been known for established name companies to send other companies products purchased in the UK over to china, so they can get it copied for their store... A well known (and loved) general high street store did this at the time I temped at their HQ.

I was quite shocked as I really dislike purposeful IP infringement- It kills creativity.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #1843 on: September 10, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »
thing is the illegal crime companies (yes companies read illicit, this is not mickey mouse anymore.) have no moral compass what so ever. Today their target is on GW because they can make a good earn on it. Tomorrow it might be fake anti malaria medicine or a bit of human trafficking or drugs or all 3 and more.

Fake goods are also a way to launder money from all those even nastier activities: just don't get involved in supporting them.  The ethics of buying from thieves are entirely clear.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1844 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »
Fake goods are also a way to launder money from all those even nastier activities: just don't get involved in supporting them.  The ethics of buying from thieves are entirely clear.

Sadly pretty much everything can be used as a means of laundering money, but you're right, the chances are that alot of the money these recasters are getting is going somewhere worse.