Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 05:06:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695991
  • Total Topics: 118732
  • Online Today: 381
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1739976 times)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4485 on: January 28, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
 :o GW not burning/destroying old not current release/special limited edition moulds etc  :o

Thats a huge  :o

I really can't  :o enough.

So maybe come November in UK we see this in WHSmith's etc, next to the model airplane/tanks etc.

Still,  as already mentioned seeing it in a shop for me will be believing it for me to. So something to wait and see for.

Still quite amazed at the novelty of it coming from GW.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #4486 on: January 28, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »
I like this approach.
Introduce kids into the hobby and model painting with affordable kits which they can even play a game with.
I like the colored plastic idea, so they'll be able to be played with right out of the box.

I wonder if they'll include a rule leaflet in the box or just put a website address with online rules.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4487 on: January 28, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
Reminds me of the Revell sets I bought when I started out with model planes as a kid. You bought a set with a simple plane, some paints, glue and a brush. I loved it and I have fond memories of that period. So thank you Revell and go Games Workshop!
Let's just hope that in 20 years there are lots of veteran gamers who go all misty eyes when they think back to those starter kits GW did "back in 2016" :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4488 on: January 28, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
The products they are selling this way are old and very outdated.

That ork truck? Good lord. It's horrendous.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4489 on: January 28, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »
I have that truck, and while it's not the prettiest thing ever, it's still better than that monstrosity they produced with tracks instead of wheels (can't even bring myself to look it up, it offends/saddens me so much :D)

It could be interesting if these are sold in WH Smith (who bought the model company whose name escapes me). Given that they're usually more expensive than anywhere else for stuff, it could be cheaper to actually buy them in GW shops ;D

What I found curious from that post is that they're stating a "returns in 2017" release for the new BloodBowl. That's a pretty long lead time, hopefully not an indication of the pace at which they plan to release the other titles.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4490 on: January 28, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »
And I'll go ahead and say it...not digging the look of the Blood Bowl minis personally.  Not really surprising there though.  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4491 on: January 28, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »
Well, its a novel untried approach for them.

So expect them to do it badly compared to the likes of airfix, revell etc, who to them this is pretty much bread and butter - model, paints and a brush etc. in a box. Rules not necessary

Rules - probably printed on the box, basic simple starter set rules something like

1. buy blue set
2. buy red set
3. bash red ones against blue ones until bits fall off - winner!

Repeat from step 1.

Advance GW bash'em - downloadable, maybe free, only available on apple devices for the first year?

1. buy blue set
2. buy red set
3. supply own dice
4. roll dice
5. bash red ones against blue ones until bits fall off - winner!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4492 on: January 28, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »
The bit about GW products in toy stores isn't new to you guys though, is it? I've often seen GW boxes (starter sets and plastic unit boxes) and paints in Swedish toy stores, although I think they may have stopped that now. Some 7-10 years ago I'd buy Citadel paints in those places out of convenience. Didn't toy stores carry GW products in the rest of the world?

I've never seen GW products geared specifically for toy stores before, though.

And I'll go ahead and say it...not digging the look of the Blood Bowl minis personally.  Not really surprising there though.  lol

These? Could be better, could be worse, I suppose. Pretty much as expected. I expect the Necromunda and Mordheim stuff will be similar in style, which isn't ideal for me, but I can live with it... up to a certain price point.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4493 on: January 28, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
Hereabouts they had GW products in craft and also toy stores way back when, so nothing new really if their products end up in toy stores and craft stores again. I guess the prices will be still pretty high.

Those BB minis look quite decent enough, funny though that the BOLS people don't recognise the player types, at least it seems there's a human catcher and blitzer and Ork blitzer and thrower, not quarterbacks and linesmen...

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4494 on: January 28, 2016, 05:50:11 PM »
No one's ever accused BOLS of being smart.

I like the Ork players a bit. Better than the old ones!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4495 on: January 28, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
Yeah, the minis are okay...but they're rather Grimdark and obviously very in-line with the modern "too much" design philosophy.  It's all well and good...I don't play Blood Bowl except on the computer.  lol

And now, so many companies produce notBlood Bowl minis it's no big issue.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4496 on: January 28, 2016, 06:08:54 PM »
Yeah too grim dark as you say. The old minis, goblins especially, were a lot more fun looking and kid friendly.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4497 on: January 28, 2016, 07:20:23 PM »
I loved the Goblin team. Pure fun. Win lose or draw, never mattered.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4498 on: January 28, 2016, 07:33:02 PM »
That was very much the Orc/Goblin method back in the day.  Heck even in 40K you could never build a competitive list with any guarantee of winning...and that was the point.  Half your Stormboyz would fly off the board or explode, and the Shokk Attack gun, big-lobba (or whatever the rocket with the ball n' chain was called), etc. would just cause mayhem.  It was very much simply a silly army...not a tournament-hardened meta book.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4499 on: January 28, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
By the way, that tagline "The Original Fantasy Football Game" is kind of interesting. Vaguely implying the existence of other fantasy football games is probably the closest GW has come in a long, long time to acknowledging they're not the only entity in the industry.

That was very much the Orc/Goblin method back in the day.  Heck even in 40K you could never build a competitive list with any guarantee of winning...and that was the point.  Half your Stormboyz would fly off the board or explode, and the Shokk Attack gun, big-lobba (or whatever the rocket with the ball n' chain was called), etc. would just cause mayhem.  It was very much simply a silly army...not a tournament-hardened meta book.

So true.