Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683170 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #465 on: January 24, 2014, 09:49:31 PM »
sadly for many reasons GW refuse to reflect and just run forward to the next windmill. ;)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #466 on: January 24, 2014, 10:44:23 PM »
Sorry double post. Anyway I think that the bottom line is that they don't get the importance or value of nostalgia sales.

As I stated (in other words), they haven't got the faintest idea what makes customers tick, but seem to think that it's all a matter of 'if we make it, they'll buy it'.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #467 on: January 24, 2014, 11:19:05 PM »
As I stated (in other words), they haven't got the faintest idea what makes customers tick, but seem to think that it's all a matter of 'if we make it, they'll buy it'.

I think that people here may over-estimate the nostalgia market.  ;)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #468 on: January 25, 2014, 01:16:52 AM »

If that doesn't sum it up perfectly I don't know what does.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #469 on: January 25, 2014, 01:24:24 AM »
its more than price with GW.

I think I figured it out. GW is that annoying kid who had a swimming pool in his backyard when you were a kid and its high summer. You want to swim in the pool, its the only pool and you are going to have to pay over the market rate in bagged lollies to do it. To get to the good bit you are going to have to eat a little proverbial shit.

Then one summer a bunch of other kids got pools just as good to go swimming in.

Never swim in that little bastards pool again. In fact I would even swim in a shitter pool as long as its not too shitty just so the little swine will never be king of summer again.

and for the people who live in -44 change pool to sauna I guess and it will work.  ;)

The are the eric cartman of minis companies. You just know they need a kick in the nuts every now and then to keep em real. They have acted like complete dickheads for so long that if I was to do business with them now it would be on my terms or never.

I will buy nostalgia figs at low prices only. They are not a premium product in my view. I think lots of the nostalgia thing is because some people can put an ace paintjob on a complete turd and make it shine.

what I love about the older figs is the flattened proportions and individual flair. That same style with modern sculpting would get my money faster than re released old stuff.

Yeah, modern sculpts are a very high quality and all the new technology is really great, but a lot of older ones really shine for personality.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #470 on: January 25, 2014, 02:09:01 AM »
its more than price with GW.

The are the eric cartman of minis companies. You just know they need a kick in the nuts every now and then to keep em real. They have acted like complete dickheads for so long that if I was to do business with them now it would be on my terms or never.

This ^^^^ sums it very well.
I can be a right stubborn git ifI think I have been taken the piss out of.
Even to the point of cutting my own nose off.
GW did that to me a long time ago and I aint going back unless they change their ways big time.
 :D

I will buy nostalgia figs at low prices only. They are not a premium product in my view. I think lots of the nostalgia thing is because some people can put an ace paintjob on a complete turd and make it shine.

Here we may just disagree (not that that is a bad thing, each to their own...).

I will pay whatever I think is fair, and that may mean more than normal if it is the only way that I can get something that I really value.

The old '80's D&D Minotaur was the last time that I did that, mind you...

I do still love some of their old stuff, but I am slowly starting to gather my favourite bits through here so no real complaints at all.
 :D

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #471 on: January 25, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
I think that people here may over-estimate the nostalgia market.  ;)

It isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #472 on: January 25, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
Yup, the dickhead factor is a major thing. I've had several instances where I wanted a particular GW figure and was close to accepting the high price, until I remembered where the money would be going to...

For me, the low prices are part of the nostalgia...  ::)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #473 on: January 25, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »
I just buy second hand, nothing really from their shop aside from the occasional supply.   

One of my favorite minis was the Marauder Giant.  That's what I think of when I think of the glories of GW/Citadel/Marauder.  It was a great casting, beautiful sculpt, the price was fair.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #474 on: January 25, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
WD is now weekly and they are debuting next month a new monthly mag, 'Warhammer Visions'...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #475 on: January 25, 2014, 03:58:05 PM »
'Warhammer Visions'...

Does it come with some mind-altering chemical?  lol
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #476 on: January 25, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »
Just found this GW announcement on their website note the essential part   lol:

White Dwarf, now weekly.

Available exclusively through Games Workshop stores, independent retailers, and games-workshop.com. White Dwarf is an exciting and essential weekly hobby magazine that contains something for every hobbyist, every week - guaranteed!

·    36 pages of everything that is exciting and new in the hobby this week.
·    Detailed information on all the week’s other new releases, and the latest hobby news.
·    New features, new modelling and painting techniques, new rules, new columnists and much more.
·    All this every week for the same price as a single Citadel pot of paint!

Issue No.1 launches Saturday 1st Feb and subsequent issues follow every Saturday

Warhammer: Visions, now monthly.

Experience a visual feast of super high-quality Citadel Miniatures.  In more than 230 pages you’ll find a completely new take on the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 in a stunning new extended pictorial style.

·    Contains all your favourite sections from Army of the Month and Blanchitsu, to Kit Bash and Paint Splatter.
·    Over 70 more pages than the previous monthly White Dwarf with more Golden Demon and Armies on Parade photos and more fantastic photographs of Citadel miniatures than ever before.

And it’s wrapped up in a fabulous new format that you will want to keep and collect! Issue No.1 out Saturday 1st February
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #477 on: January 25, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
I notice it didn't mention the price............

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #478 on: January 25, 2014, 04:24:09 PM »
I am not really sure what the difference is. Which one is going to have the least adverts? Also are either of them actually going to be worth buying?

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #479 on: January 25, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »
I thought the weekly one was suppose to around £2 which is obviously a bargain for 36 pages of adverts  o_o