Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:39:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1748418 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6525 on: May 23, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »
I'm a bit dubious about the way the books will play out (i.e. the first armies to get "real" codices always tend to benefit from power creep, etc.), but this is the only way to do a brand new edition, with every army essentially getting a small temporary codex.  Ideally I'd have liked to have seen these online for free...but money is there to be made I guess.  It's akin to 3rd edition when they launched the game with very thin (and crappy) codices for all the forces at the same time.

Starter set looks interesting though I question putting the big 280-page hardbound book in there.  While the "core rules" will be free online it looks like there is a large section of advanced rules, scenarios, etc. which won't be available - meaning you'll have to lug around a big hardbound book which is a little silly.  I'm hoping for a surplus of rulebooks on eBay from people getting multiple starter boxes for the models.

I hate the death guard models which is a shame...but also saves me some time.  I don't have to wait on them.  Really, comically, absurdly over-styled...an affront to the senses, lol.

I was telling Audrey I see a very AoS approach to the marines too - with the squads all being armed with identical weapons.  I wonder if the NuMarines will remove the idea of mixed weapon squads.  That's obviously much easier for rules/etc., but is taking a large part of the marine fluff and flushing it down the toilet.  Admittedly it future-proofs models and units and it's something that fits/works with the Eldar army...making army building way easier.  I will be sad though, if the actual Tactical Squad disappears as the NuMarines take over.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 255
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6526 on: May 23, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
Oh go ahead; blame it on the new guy! lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6527 on: May 23, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »
The more I see the images of the Primaris, the more I fell in love. The Inceptors and the Captain in Gravis armour are my favourites. And the bolt rifle with the drum magazine is also great.  :o

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6528 on: May 23, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
I kind of like the airborne poses of the jumppackers; long overdue, that...

And the armor seems to be amalgated from those elements most liked; Mk4 helmet, Mk8 ankles, abdominal plates and collar, Mk7 chestplate and greaves, Terminator hipplates...

+++EDIT+++ As an aside; I've had a project lying around for almost a decade that has now been overtaken by no fewer than two new GW releases within the space of a couple of months; a combat squad of Tru-Scale™ Imperial Fists Marines for use in Necromunda (as a GM force, using the movie marines rules from Citadel Journal)

First there's Shadow War, basically putting Space Marine stats into the Necromunda game system, and then these Primaris Marines come along, pre-empting any need for cutting up and merging all those Terminator and Power Armor parts I had gathered...

I guess that'll teach me to follow through with projects instead of letting them flaunder in conversion hell for decades... lol
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:07:04 PM by Daeothar »

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #6529 on: May 23, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
I'm with you.  I think the new marines are great and I will be making an army out of them too.  I'm not sold on starting a new army for Chaos, I have three Chaos armies now and stuff for a Thousand Sons army that is unpainted too.  I guess getting Death Guard would get me the complete set (Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh and undivided) but it is another army to store somewhere.

Still they are fantastic models.

It looks like it will be 95 quid retail and the army books are going to be about 12 pounds each.

This is the first 40K starter set I've been excited about since 1998. 

To be fair I was very excited about both Betrayal At Calth and Burning of Prospero but they weren't 40K starter sets.

Now I just have to decide which marine chapter to do.  Probably going to go with Ultramarines. 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6530 on: May 23, 2017, 05:24:14 PM »
NuMarines seem to be equipped in the style of the HH Marines, which is actually fine as far as I'm concerned.

The Deathguard are fine, and can always be "cut" with plain Mk3 armour to get some nice Nurgle elements whilst toning down the more extreme design elements.

Likewise, the Nurgle cultists would actually make a great Necromunda Scavvies or GorkaMorka Muties with modest effort.

I am also fine with having a hardback book in the box - it could after all still be a smaller sized book and not a giant door stop. If this is the case, I would be especially happy! :)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6531 on: May 23, 2017, 05:40:10 PM »
I, too, was thinking about turning those cultist into a a scavy gang, but I hardly see a need for the rest of the nurgle.
I've never liked nurgle..

Still looks like a nifty box, but if I need to buy new books for all my armies, getting back into the game is still going to be pretty expensive.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6532 on: May 23, 2017, 06:11:28 PM »
wow. this thread is SUPER well hidden...no wonder I had no idea we had a GW thread haha
I started a whole thread since I had no idea of this so I'll just copy what I said there :p

well the new starter has been announced.
well we have the usual babyish "OH NO THE END HAS COME" rubbish and the old "THEY ARE REPLACING MARINES. GW WANTS YOUR MONEY" (as opposed to every company on earth who don't want your money...).
but after 11yrs of not touching GW...I have to say I am LOVING this set and will certainly save up for it as much as I can do.
it'll likely be a hefty price like the horus heresy sets with those models in.
But I think they are gorgeous. even the assault marines that everyone hates.

there we go. so yeah.
well done GW. you just made me wanna play 40k again

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6533 on: May 23, 2017, 06:13:24 PM »
Guess I'm in the minority then. I'm really not digging the new uber marines the whole concept is just crap IMO. The Nurgle stuff I'm loving though which is good, if I'm the only one,because there should be loads going cheap on ebay (I hope) :D

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6534 on: May 23, 2017, 06:25:03 PM »
I like the Nurgle stuff, and the return of a Lieutenant to the Marines' ranks. Really not fond of the Ubermarines Jump troops and Captain in "Gravy" armour, though.... I really dislike the hoods and jumppacks.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #6535 on: May 23, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »
Seriously think this is great. Some of the figures hit higher notes for me than others, but altogether there's nothing to criticise from my side. Ill be in on this sooner rather than later.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #6536 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »
The silly-name-creep has taken hold of 40k.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6537 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:28 PM »

:o Oh boy. How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?

Photo nabbed from here.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6538 on: May 23, 2017, 10:51:42 PM »

:o Oh boy. How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?

Photo nabbed from here.

WEll now i want them even more! they are the right bloody size!
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6539 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:22 PM »
WEll now i want them even more! they are the right bloody size!

I dunno. I mean, I like them in that size compared to human figures so they'll look great in Inq28 warbands. But I kinda feel bad for Chaos Marines. It doesn't seem right that they're all smaller than these new guys - ignoring background reasons. Baddies should be the big, bad, scary guys. Just like Stormcast make Chaos Warriors - even the new Blood Warriors - look a bit weedy, so do these guys make the Plague Marines less intimidating. At least the Plague Marines have a couple of mm on the Mk4 guy.

Still really like them, but I just wish they (and Stormcast) were a bit smaller, and the Plague Marines (and Chaos Warriors) were a bit bigger.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:01:15 PM by Andrew Rae »