Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1703109 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #8190 on: March 25, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »
Maybe I'll just continue collecting the old metals.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8191 on: March 25, 2018, 08:54:59 PM »
Maybe I'll just continue collecting the old metals.

Same, looking forward to this new website for finishing off collections, there are a stick of dwarf minis i'd love to buy.

Also i'd go ape of they started casting up mordheim minis again.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #8192 on: March 28, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »
Anybody else just get this email?

Quote from: hachette
Thank you for subscribing to Warhammer 40,000: Conquest.

We would like to inform you that we have paused the publication of this title but we are hoping to launch the collection nationally in the near future.

We will be sure to keep you informed of any developments via email, and if we do launch the collection nationally we will send you the first 3 issues of the collection for free as a thank you for supporting Warhammer 40,000: Conquest from the beginning.

Please rest assured that your account has not been charged at all. If you’d like any more information please contact us via one of the methods above.

The obvious read is that they worked out the finances when 75% of people are going to drop after one or two issues, but maybe they didn't get enough bites?

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #8193 on: March 28, 2018, 04:08:05 PM »
Yeah, I got that email too.

I suspect you may well be right WW.

Perhaps they will re-jig the items that are being given away with issues?

To be honest, I think they would have been better off showing the first few months worth of issues and items that come with them.

Part of the problem might also have been that people worked out the cost and the fact that essentially, it seemed to be the starter set bundle with paints, broken down into small weekly instalments. The issue with that is you can go out and buy the cheapest starter set for £20ish.

In the long run, very few people are going to stick around for 80 issues. And this is the problem ALL of this sort of magazine scheme have. People will dip and out when the items they want are on the front. Some of them look more than worth it. For £8 getting a small group of minis is worth it on it's own when compared to RRP.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8194 on: March 28, 2018, 04:11:48 PM »
No wonder no one can find a copy! Does anyone buy more than a couple of issues of partworks? (I mean some people must do, but the steep climb in price is always off-putting, besides what was the market? If it was supposed to be to hook kids into 40k then by making it a subscription thing doesn't really make sense does it?

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #8195 on: March 28, 2018, 04:19:24 PM »
I was semi tempted by the 2000ad partworks but then that was an easy one to take pieces of and the rates even at full price were decent.

From what I gather talking to a couple of flags owners the market for this one was very much tesco's basically - that seems a reasonable target for a loss leader to me.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #8196 on: March 28, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
No wonder no one can find a copy! Does anyone buy more than a couple of issues of partworks? (I mean some people must do, but the steep climb in price is always off-putting, besides what was the market? If it was supposed to be to hook kids into 40k then by making it a subscription thing doesn't really make sense does it?

It wasn't 'just' a subscription thing.

Personally, I thought it was a clever idea. Especially for kids. Because when you look at what you were getting it was well worth the money and after the first month or so you would have a paint brush and a effectively a starter paint set with miniatures to paint, dice to play. And various aspects of the rules and painting guides.

In the UK at least, supposedly the average pocket money given to kids now is £10 per week. That seems a bit much to me, but even if you consider that to be true - what can you buy in GW for £10 per week? Not a lot I would hazard a guess. So it would be saving up for things. When you look at it like that, it's a pretty viable investment.

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #8197 on: March 28, 2018, 08:48:50 PM »
I remember getting my £3 a week which is why my mid 90s ultramarines army consisted mostly of Bikes and Tactical Squads  lol

It’s a shame about the magazine. I too think it’s a good idea. I think it wouldn’t do much harm for GW to get their box sets into Argos or similar (again, I believe Space Crusade and Space Hulk were?) just to increase that market penetration.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #8198 on: March 28, 2018, 09:29:25 PM »
It’s a shame about the magazine. I too think it’s a good idea. I think it wouldn’t do much harm for GW to get their box sets into Argos or similar (again, I believe Space Crusade and Space Hulk were?) just to increase that market penetration.

Certainly wfb 4th was - for a bargainous 25 quid.

Sadly I think Argos is about as lively as wfb now. I guess the modern equivalent is amazon? Was gonna suggest toys r us but...

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #8199 on: March 28, 2018, 09:37:43 PM »
I did think that as I posted  lol

I suppose the big supermarkets have taken on a lot of the bricks and mortar toy sales, perhaps getting something into the toy aisle would be a real coup.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8200 on: March 28, 2018, 11:19:13 PM »
They did the same thing with the novels partwork a while ago and then one day that just appeared in the wild! Also it seems SOME PEOPLE did manage to get copies, Tho whether that was from stores or through a direct order I don't know.

Personally i just wanted more of their starter brushes, they have such firm bristles and are perfect all purpose/detail brushes.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #8201 on: March 29, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
So various places are indicating that partworks do limited region releases as a test for a full blown national thing. Someone on facebook is suggesting that this will get the go ahead after hitting four figure subscriber numbers with nothing but a single post online in regards to marketing.

However, as I had set up a subscription, and that their wording was a bit ambiguous - I shot them an email:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the email today. Could I enquire as to why this has been postponed? Also, does this mean my subscription is actually cancelled or does it mean that when it starts again, my subscription will start from then?

As you can imagine, I didn't hope to get an answer to the first bit but if you never ask you never get! Their response:
Thanks for your email.

The subscription hasn't been cancelled but will resume when it starts up again.

If you have any further questions, then please let me know.

So those of you that subscribed, but now no longer want to, do not think your subscription has been cancelled. It sounds very much like this will happen at some point in the future.

I also wonder whether the paints we see will be actual pots you can buy in store, or the smaller ones that have been seen before on the front of the lord of the rings magazine etc.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #8202 on: March 29, 2018, 07:54:58 PM »
Possibly slightly off topic, but does anyone have experience of the Black Library books and the readability of the authors? I'm tempted by the Humble Bundle offer which roughly works out as £11 for 20 ebooks, a couple of which are compilations or omnibus editions.

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #8203 on: March 29, 2018, 08:01:49 PM »
Possibly slightly off topic, but does anyone have experience of the Black Library books and the readability of the authors? I'm tempted by the Humble Bundle offer which roughly works out as £11 for 20 ebooks, a couple of which are compilations or omnibus editions.

I think they’re generally very enjoyable. They’re always well paced and quite exciting, like a decent action film. Obviously because of the setting there’s very little in the way of a wider meaning (some of the Horus heresy books excepted).

What I do like about most of the WH40k books is that they generally don’t waste too much time on exposition; they assume you know a bit about the universe to begin with.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8204 on: March 29, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »
I think they’re generally very enjoyable. They’re always well paced and quite exciting, like a decent action film. Obviously because of the setting there’s very little in the way of a wider meaning (some of the Horus heresy books excepted).

What I do like about most of the WH40k books is that they generally don’t waste too much time on exposition; they assume you know a bit about the universe to begin with.

I'll echo that, But I'd also say be careful of any authors that are also rules writers/former GW studio staff. the stories themselves may be fine, but they tend to be an utter slog.