Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696473
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1741928 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4740 on: March 28, 2016, 04:36:59 PM »
While a decent, versatile kit - it's aging immensely.  I'd like to see a replacement box if Mordheim gets a re-boot (alternately, perhaps people will pick up the Frostgrave plastics for Mordheim if it does show back up!).
I might be blinded with nostalgia on them, I think. They were the first multi part plastic kit with such versatility I ever bought. The notion of a updated mordheim sprue isn't horrible. Lets wait to see if the new game doesn't end up being some sort of single session board game. (which would be a disappointment but might still be good)
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4741 on: March 28, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »
FFG does very little marketing of products after release. They did create and sell Organized Play kits for the game but even with that game didn't sell as well as other products in their catalogue. Not sure why as its a pretty fun game.

Unless it's Star Wars related, when they fog that dead horse to within an inch of its life.

As for GW I've always been a fantasy guy and as such their current releases haven't appealed all that much. In general it's great to see them explore their IPthough, albeit in ohers mediums, warhammer total war Vermintide, Mordheim and the forthcoming Man O War computer game all look interesting and a few friends have played BFG on the PC and say it's very promising.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4742 on: April 02, 2016, 04:41:33 PM »
I was sure these were out already, but GW have some stupidly expensive brushes up for pre-order

It's £16 for the Medium, £14 for the Small and £12 for the extra small  :o (or as a special sale price, £42 for the set)

I just bought 5 sable brushes from Rosemary & Co for a little over £21, and you can pick up W&N series 7 for considerably less than GW are charging

Mostly I just sadly shake my head at their prices, but things like this irritate me, as there are people who will willingly pay it, not realising they can get brushes every bit as good for a fraction of the price :(

Offline Blofeld

• Scientist
    • Frontline armchair
« Reply #4743 on: April 02, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
I was sure these were out already, but GW have some stupidly expensive brushes up for pre-order
I thought for a minute this might be an April Fools! That's mad even for GW, would anyone actually buy them??

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #4744 on: April 02, 2016, 05:17:20 PM »

I just bought 5 sable brushes from Rosemary & Co for a little over £21, and you can pick up W&N series 7 for considerably less than GW are charging

Going a tad off topic but aye the R&C brushes are the best I've used, the series 401 Sable my personal favouites.

But GW releasing expensive brushes doesn't surprise me as they have a captive audience who will lap it up. It's just like there £7 for 100g of sand :O

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #4745 on: April 02, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »
Trouble is lot of people are brainwashed into using GW only products.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4746 on: April 02, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »
there are people who will willingly pay it, not realising they can get brushes every bit as good for a fraction of the price :(

I know of people who would realise it, but go to GW for the 'convenience'.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4747 on: April 02, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »
And on the other side of things... https://www.facebook.com/Blood-Bowl-219720111727104/

Official GW bloodbowl page with pics ofthe first painted new bloodbowl mini.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4748 on: April 02, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »
Nah. Can't get excited. That orc is just plug-ugly. Bits of pink and turquiose blobbed over it isn"t helping, either.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #4749 on: April 02, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »
I can understand the mismatched attire but why has that orc partially applied lipstick?

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4750 on: April 02, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
I think it's meant to be a bruise.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4751 on: April 02, 2016, 08:01:43 PM »
Trouble is lot of people are brainwashed into using GW only products.

I found this in the comments section of a post on facebook from the good rick himself.
"Rick Priestley Games Workshop don't make brushes - they buy them in from Winsor & Newton who supply rebranded brushes based on their standard range. Just once - when I was there - we persuaded W&N to do a limited edition of a range based on their premium Series 7 brushes - which are made to a higher standard and are generally held to be the best brushes available. If that's still the case, I would guess this is the same deal again - W&N Series 7 brushes sized to GW's 'inbetween' brush sizes. If so I'm sure they're very good. I generally go for Series 7's myself - as you can buy the sizes you want and many good art suppliers offer them at a discount."

I knew GW got their brushes made for them, but their standard brushes are so damned poor that i think maybe winsor and newton are actually selling them their cheap "student" quality brushes,the ones they have mass produced in china to sell to shops like the works.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4752 on: April 02, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »
I don't know if I've just got issues, but I don't buy my brushes from a single company because I find it rare that any one brand gives me what I want from large, medium and small brushes.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #4753 on: April 02, 2016, 09:23:02 PM »
Just seen that new BB orc. Doesn't really do it for me unfortunately. Nice to see they've kept the Wayne England artwork for the commentators though.

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #4754 on: April 03, 2016, 06:32:23 AM »

It's £16 for the Medium, £14 for the Small and £12 for the extra small  :o (or as a special sale price, £42 for the set)

Mostly I just sadly shake my head at their prices, but things like this irritate me, as there are people who will willingly pay it, not realising they can get brushes every bit as good for a fraction of the price :(

Are you kidding me?  That's around $60 in American currency.  Michaels and Hobbytown USA sell cheaper brushes.  I think even Walmart sells brushes now, since they've added hobby and craft supplies at their larger stores; I will check tomorrow when I make my weekly grocery run.  That is blatant price gouging.