Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:28:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Zulu War Figures  (Read 21997 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: New Zulu War Figures
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »
You wouldn't have it any other way Paul  :D
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2008, 01:46:17 PM »
Yep, I'm pretty sure I cannot cope for to long on my own. That reminds me wifes away for 4 nights soon, must remember to visit as many family members at dinner time as possible.

Paul

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2008, 09:46:36 AM »
The zulus are in the shop at last ?

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »
another four packs of zulus this time a bit more dressed up,and perhaps of interest to the converters out there a pack of british heads in various head gear,not my thing im afraid conversions but will be ordering the zulus.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2008, 03:57:07 AM »
The first of a series of articles describing the Zulu regiments has just been posted.  Well done, ladies! Thank you!

http://www.empressminiatures.com/page10.htm
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2008, 09:57:36 AM »
Hi help needed being a modern/world war 2 gamer im used to using dark colours nearest i get to fancy is the odd wild west figure, ive just started painting my empress brits and not doing too well with the jackets, whats best white undercoat im guessing but the scarlet just isnt coming out right?any tips help appreciated,oh im using vallejo paints.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2008, 10:19:53 AM »
White undercoat, then a basecoat of brown, either GW Scorched earth or Bestial Brown( Depending on how dark you want your basecoat) then apply a mid red then final highlight coat with scarlet.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »
Itchy

My only vaguely useful tip for painting red (see a couple of my pics below) is to use a red and black mix for the base, overlay with just red, then mix increasing amounts of yellow in for the highlights - not white. The 'not white' bit is the crucial thing, otherwise you end up with pink.

When you're mixing in the yellow, it looks horribly orange, but trust me, on the finished item, it usually seems to work - although takes a bit of practice to get it just right...

Bon chance!

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2008, 08:33:29 AM »
Thanks I will try both ways today and let you know the results i have and which one works for me,thanks again.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2008, 02:55:10 PM »
If you like Vallejos try my standard recipe. I use (over black basecoat, but I'm sure white would work as well) burnt cadmium red, then cavalry brown (actually a nice brick red) topped off with flat red. I use scarlet and/or crimson for officers since they usually had better kit.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2008, 09:03:10 AM »
I use two reds and an orange (did on the Brits anyway).
Use a dark browny one first, then Vallejo 'Red' (that's the description on the bottle anyway - quite scarlet). Then mix a little orange for the upper highlights and things. Building up layers makes for stronger colour than a thick coat - I paint each layer at least twice but in quite a milky consistency.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »
While using this technique I also find that it matters *which* yellow you use and base colour you use. In Bloods examples I think you'll agree they draws towards brick red, which is probably the result of the black undercoat and a sort of golden yellow in the hilites (unless it is due to the camera or Photoshop). For a firetruck red you probably want to use slighly more blue in your reds which can be achieved by a blue black UC and more lemon yellow in the hilites (lemon yellow havingmore white and blue in its mix).

All this said, you still need to experiment. There are no ready made formulas unless you use paints directly from the jar (which hues still can vary even within the same brand, but that's another can of worms).

Itchy

My only vaguely useful tip for painting red (see a couple of my pics below) is to use a red and black mix for the base, overlay with just red, then mix increasing amounts of yellow in for the highlights - not white. The 'not white' bit is the crucial thing, otherwise you end up with pink.

When you're mixing in the yellow, it looks horribly orange, but trust me, on the finished item, it usually seems to work - although takes a bit of practice to get it just right...

Bon chance!

Offline Orkdung

• Bookworm
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »

Love how everyone spells out their colour schemes around here!   :)

Those Zulus came on quick, Im not trying to insult Empress, love their work and will purchase the lines, but are those Zulu new sculpts or were they purchased from another line?

...and Im PRAYING they make heads for Zulus like they did with the Brits!  I like a little variety!

Memorial Miniature now for Sale

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2008, 08:42:56 AM »
They're all Pauls sculpts as far as I'm aware. Believe me Mr. Hicks can really turn out the figures. The zulu's are very nice figures, I'm intending to mix the ones with cowtail adornments and the ones without in the same unit.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »
They're all Pauls sculpts as far as I'm aware. Believe me Mr. Hicks can really turn out the figures. The zulu's are very nice figures, I'm intending to mix the ones with cowtail adornments and the ones without in the same unit.

I think "prolific" and "outstanding" sum his work up nicely  ;)

I don't think it matters too much about mixing figuresin different dress, so long as "married" and "unmarried" stay in separate iViyos.