Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 13th Age  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
13th Age
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:39:29 AM »
I recently received a PDF copy of the 13th Age rules from a friend. I have only read the introduction and a quick look-over, I also watched a video explanation. The 13 Icons is a very useful storytelling tool, and a great idea. Escalation is interesting. There is already third party content available. Have you played it? What did you think? Have you looked at the rule book? Have you even heard of the game? I am interested in any and all feedback.

Here is the link to the publisher:
http://www.pelgranepress.com/

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: 13th Age
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »
Can't say I've ever heard of it, though that said roleplaying isn't really my thing.

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:40:40 PM »
Hey folks, just gonna bump this post.

Does anyone have any experience with this game?
Has anyone had a chance to look at the rule-set?

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:41:11 AM »
Huge fan, easily one my top five favorite RPGs and it gets better with every new release from Pelgrane.  I'm a bit more dubious about the 3rd party stuff, but the official books are terrific.  Excellent alternative to D&D 4e or 5e, and the fluff and even some of the mechanics can easily be mined for use in other game systems if desired.  Tweet and Heinsoo are two of the best writers working in the RPG industry these days, and they've really hit it out of the park with 13th Age.

The system resource document (ie the mechanics of the game sans fluff and setting) are available free here:

http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=13316

and here:

http://www.13thagesrd.com/

Of the newer books, 13 True Ways is probably the most useful overall, as it includes rules for various character classes that didn't make it into the core book as well as the multi-classing rules.  The latter are a great way for an experienced gamer to spice up some of the simpler classes (eg barbarian, paladin) with a bit more mechanical complexity by hybridizing with a more complex class.  Of the new classes, my favorites are the Commander (a melee-focused support character who boosts the rest of the party) and the Druid (who can be built as almost anything - the class is all about options and versatility).

The Bestiary is also a great read, with each monster having background fluff and lots of adventure hooks to use with them.  The mechanics are pretty specific to 13th Age, but the rest could be mined for other systems.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:45:50 AM »
Seconded - I'm a VERY lapsed roleplayer, but I picked up the 13th Age books mainly because they've got some great, fresh ideas in there. I'm less sold on the system (for my sins, I always liked the Call of Cthulhu percentile system), but even if you don't play the game, you'll find loads of inspiration in the books.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »
Great feedback, thanks!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 01:01:59 AM »
Seconded - I'm a VERY lapsed roleplayer, but I picked up the 13th Age books mainly because they've got some great, fresh ideas in there. I'm less sold on the system (for my sins, I always liked the Call of Cthulhu percentile system), but even if you don't play the game, you'll find loads of inspiration in the books.

Given that CoC's core game engine also ran Runequest, all the Eternal Champion games, and Superworld back in the glory days of Chaosium, nothing wrong with liking the Basic Roleplaying System.  Dull name, great mechanics.  These days I prefer the more freeform 13th Age system, but it wouldn't take much arm-twisting to get me to play one of the BRP family of games again.  CoC gets dragged out about once  ayear around here even now, usually around Halloween.