Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:20:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691485
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Dux Britanniarum game  (Read 3069 times)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
A Dux Britanniarum game
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »
I've been playing a Dux Brit campaign.
Here's a teaser picture:

Several more pictures and ropy narrative on the blog
http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/dux-britanniarum.html

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: A Dux Britanniarum game
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:26:29 AM »
Details! What didn't you like? I have yet to play the rules, but everything else is ready!

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:46:33 AM »
We faced similar frustrations, Tom. There are just too many holes in the rules, which is frustrating.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 07:44:34 AM »
I'm still looking forward to my first game. I can see there's plenty of room for "interpretation" in the rules - fine if you like that sort of thing, but not everyone does. By comparison, Dan Mersey's Dux Bell rules are pretty water-tight as far as I can establish.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »
The best way to play any Lardies rule set is to take the wording literally! In every rules query we have, the author's response always indicates that the literal response is correct.

I make no secret of the fact that I love these rules but like everything else, they won't be for everyone.
Truth to tell though, the raid scenarios are where it excels due to the well-planned victory conditions. The battles can be, IMHO, slightly less satisfactory, although the pre-battle events are fun.

My campaign continues to be graet fun anyway.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »
The commonest replies to qeries seem to be:
"If it doesn't make sense, you're over-thinking it" and
"Do what seems right"

Seems like a good way to approach it, and that's what I'm gonna do! lol

Now as soon as my leg is well enough for me to drive and get a 6x4 table set up, we'll have a go ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:04:18 PM by Mitch K »

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
Good luck - I hope they work for you  :)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
Phew, I'm glad I'm no the only one  who hasn't got on with these rules - was beginning to feel maybe I'd gone mad and there was something obvious I was missing.
:)

I don't really want to go into details - I think some of it is personal taste and I wish the Lardies and their fans no ill will (and I don't want to start any sort of flame war!)
I did originally write a lengthy criticism of the rules but then wisely parked it and decided not to post it - I'm trying to follow the rule of  "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything".

I don't regret buying it or trying it -I just think you have to know when something isn't right for you and step away.

The positives
I think the campaign system is excellent - simple and yet effective
I liked the card activation
The scenarios are good (though I think there's to much random in the set-ups) and I enjoyed the overall narrative of the campaign we played.

I think if you can get beyond the "holes" as others have described it then you'll probably really enjoy the games.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 08:12:03 PM »
I played only once, and I liked it. It is fast and bloody. I would like to know which are those holes in the game. May be the problem is trying to find a rule for every situation, something you will not find in a TFL game. Play the period, not the rules.

Emilio.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 08:34:26 PM »
Play the period, not the rules.

I know that it is one of TFL's favourite lines, but I find that an unnecessarily provocative comment.

Holding an opinion one way or another on these rules doesn't have anything to do with one's knowledge of medieval military history or a desire to enjoy a fun, flavour filled game.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your first game, Emilio, and hope that you continue to find the rules to your liking.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »
May be the problem is trying to find a rule for every situation, something you will not find in a TFL game. Play the period, not the rules.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the kind of gamer who prioritises rules over period Emilio. Others may disagree but generally I struggle to remember enough rules in a game to be able to exploit them in any way!

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
I know that it is one of TFL's favourite lines, but I find that an unnecessarily provocative comment.

Sorry, I donīt understand why you say that. It was not my intention to be "provocative".
I hope youīll find rules that suit better your tastes.

Best wishes.

Emilio.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm not the kind of gamer who prioritises rules over period Emilio. Others may disagree but generally I struggle to remember enough rules in a game to be able to exploit them in any way!

As english is not my mother language, and is a bit difficult for me to write in english what I think, may by that you and your friend missunderstand me. If it sounds like I was criticizing your views about the rules, it was not my intention. As we say in Spain, "sobre gustos no hay nada escrito", roughly, "nothing is written about tastes". I only asked about the reasons why you donīt like the game, and about the holes, to try to understand your views. That is friendly discussions, as I see it. I am new on DB, and I ask opinions and views. Nothing more. I apologise if I sound ofensive.
Bytheway, nobody answered my question.
Best wishes.

Emilio.

P.S. Nice blog, now following.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
No offence taken Emilio. Your English is undoubtedly far better than my Spanish and kudos for you for joining in the conversation.
I haven't answered your question as I think I agree with your Spanish phrase (though of course I may not understand it exactly) - my dislikes are as much a question of taste as anything else - and I really don't want to get drawn into an attack on the rules or a defence of my position.
I tried the games five (or possibly six) times and they didn't agree with me. There was much to like (campaign and narrative elements) but I didn't get on with the core mechanics.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
Well, I donīt see an attack-defence issue here. I only wanted to talk about game mechanics. But I understand that you donīt feel it. I felt the same about other rulesets, some of them with a lot of success.

Emilio.