Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Armies of Arcana rules ? good for 15mm gaming infact any good rules for 15mm  (Read 7882 times)

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
Re: Armies of Arcana rules ? good for 15mm gaming infact any good rules for 15mm
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »
Thanks Lads for all your input ..

peleset
    Thanks for the link but it does not seam to work but will try another way into the group ,I think I have the DBF set of rule I think they where called they be dragons a BIG version of HOTT .. but I have moved away from the DMX rules now and more on to units rather than bases and PIP's ,

Voodoolnk
   is mayhem just on down load or can I get a hard back copy ?

Con.
 FR3 looks ok but I think it looks to DBX for .

Ogryn
    some of the lads play KOW at the club but it looks to much like buckets of dice and line your figs up and charge to me ,but I might be wrong so will have a good look at the game, next  time I am at the club ,

dijit
    will have a better look at the rule

Thanks again lads for your input
happy gaming LR

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
is mayhem just on down load or can I get a hard back copy ?
Currently it's only available as a download. I will be releasing a print edition in the future. ;)
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Currently it's only available as a download. I will be releasing a print edition in the future. ;)

may just wait for that (and the probable furlough to end) to order...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog

Ogryn
    some of the lads play KOW at the club but it looks to much like buckets of dice and line your figs up and charge to me ,but I might be wrong so will have a good look at the game, next  time I am at the club ,

It is exactly that, not as many dice as warhammer but even less strategy, far more luck involved (particularily warmachines which can be absolutely devestating but also miss 2/3rds of the time (e.g. I played one game where my opponenets warmachines hit 3 times for each hit I lost a full maximum sized unit (All ogres) this was turn 1 and 2, by the time we reached combat he outnumbered me 5/1 and flank charges are seriously painful, in return I hit once and barely scratched a horde of orcs....).

In summary from my experience and 2 games I watched this is even less tactical than Warhammer.

Armies of Arcana I have read the rules for but never found anyone willing to play it, it looked like an upgraded version of warhammer, more detailed, more flexible (I loved the fact that ANY army could take ANY mount), more balanced (this basically means a point calculation system and very little in the way of "magic items"), it looked like a VERY solid system to me and I really wanted to give it a go, but I don't even have the rules anymore.

Good luck on finding the perfect game for you.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Disappointed to hear that about KoW. I was under the impression it was more tactical - reliant on maneouvre, unit support, that kind of thing. None of that came through at all?

I might go take a look at the expanded Mayhem, then.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
I played A LOT of games of ARMIES OF ARCANA and higly recommend the rules.

Yes, it's somehow like WHFB, but the rules are really solid, plays fast, no army is overpowered, and in the core book you get ALL the rules (including 10+ magic lores and 10+ armies).

KoW I only played twice, and leaved it alone. The system may be good for some people, but not for me. Anyhow, as they are FREE DOWNLOAD, you may give them a try.

Hope that helps.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian

Armies of Arcana I have read the rules for but never found anyone willing to play it, it looked like an upgraded version of warhammer, more detailed, more flexible (I loved the fact that ANY army could take ANY mount), more balanced (this basically means a point calculation system and very little in the way of "magic items"), it looked like a VERY solid system to me and I really wanted to give it a go, but I don't even have the rules anymore.

Good luck on finding the perfect game for you.

I played A LOT of games of ARMIES OF ARCANA and higly recommend the rules.

Yes, it's somehow like WHFB, but the rules are really solid, plays fast, no army is overpowered, and in the core book you get ALL the rules (including 10+ magic lores and 10+ armies).

I have played Armies of Arcana once, I have the rulebook, and I completely concur with Magokiron and Maxxev. It is less restrictive than WFB. The most solid thing about it is that its point balancing system is far closer to balanced across all armies than anything the Lords of Nottingham (GW) have ever published. It is not tied to 28mm figures. It works just fine with 15mm armies which was what was used in the game I got to play.

Whoever wrote it set out to:
1) write a fair set of rules instead of a vehicle to drive the sales of the latest releases of miniatures.
2) keep the stuff people like about Warhammer such as the basic mechanics of six sided dice but at the same time culling the annoying and ridiculous stuff.

IMHO they succeeded. If you want to have a mixed army of elves, dwarves and men it won't overpower an all goblins or all lizard-guys army. The point system is that well balanced.
Pendrake

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
Again will support comments about Armies of Arcana.

The main advantage of it, in my opinion, is that it lets you play the army, not the rules, as other systems tend to. I stopped playing fantasy 'mass battle' systems a while back, and the only army I kept was my one for that system. It works well as a historical set (currently using it for the basis of a WotR game a few friends and I are planning)

And, as said, it's an all in one purchase, magic doesn't win you the game, and you can use whatever figures you like (My Lizard-Kyn army uses figures from the old Target Games/Prince August Chronopia range)

Offline splinteredlightminis

• Assistant
I would recommend Pride of Lions.  Here is the link http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/proflipdf.html

Here is the write up on it.
This 122 page ruleset seeks to provide a fast and fun game of fantasy mass combat. It is the designer’s belief that the best games result from a combination of simple rules mechanics and the opportunity for the players to make many decisions.

In PRIDE OF LIONS the role of each player is that of the commanding general of the army or warlord of the horde. Magic, and the courage and skills of individual heroes, can affect the game, but the outcome of the battle will depend mainly on the clash of large units of common fighters operating under the general’s orders.

Each turn begins with players issuing orders to eligible units by laying inverted movement chits behind each unit. After a magic phase, which can result in a unit’s orders being changed involuntarily or randomly, all orders are revealed and movement is conducted simultaneously by all sides but in a strict sequence, with the most aggressive movement (charges) coming first and skirmishers going last. Both melee combat and missile fire are conducted through opposed die rolls, using dice of various sizes from D4s to D24’s, with the difference between the die rolls determining the outcome. Factors such as terrain, magic, special weapons and tactics, and leadership and heroism by characters all affect the game either through the movement chits or the die rolls.

WHY A SECOND EDITION? HOW IS THIS ONE DIFFERENT? We have a LOT more experience of gaming with these rules now, and 2nd edition reflects lessons learned. There are numerous tweaks, as well as places where a longer explanation seemed necessary for clarity. There are lots of photos, partly to show off our miniatures but also as examples of play. And there are some substantial changes:

1. The point system is completely revised, with much greater detail, and applies now to characters as well as to units.

2. Dwarven rune magic is much more detailed.

3. Godfearers’ “magic” – prayer and spiritual gifts – is also far more detailed and extensive.

4. Spirits are developed further.

5. There are more and longer generic army lists and spell lists.

6. And the movement sequence of air units is better.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Quite cool that this thread got bumped as I have just bought Armies of Arcana for a 15mm project and am encouraged by the comments herein.