Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any one know of any good sci fi rules?  (Read 7610 times)

Offline The Black Rider

• Librarian
Any one know of any good sci fi rules?
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »
I played the new version of warhammer 40k the other day. It was the same as the last one and still rubbish.

I have a few models laying around as does a couple of friends of mine and we still want to use them, however with the rubbish and expensive rules that gw are bringing out we would like to find a decent alternative!

Any ideas?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Any one know of any good sci fi rules?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
EM4's Combat Zone, not sure how SciFi you want it, these are more future wars, bu they are well supported with a great website and loads of extras.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
Beat me to it, Malamute! :)  CombatZone is really good and encourages you to come up with your own rules.

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:56:57 PM »
Necromunda for skirmish levels. People are rave about Dirtside II. I'm pretty sure they are both free.
I hear alot of good things about future war commander.

Offline mahon

• Bookworm
    • Chest Of Colors: All About Miniature Painting
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
5150?

my favorite, but I like the concept of 'command, not control' and taking some perfect control away from the player.

generic, customizable, usable for larger forces (like 40k) or smaller (like necromunda, especially if you use the Infestation supplement)
Mahon
Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:11:59 AM »
If you get 5150, expect to do alot of work to get the points/campaign system to work. He really could use someone to edit for him.

And I'm sorry, but I can't see how generic when it comes to rules is ever a positive selling point. I mean in sci-fi generic equals, "Use a WWII ruleset with some funky additions." :)
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 09:12:41 AM »
Mutants and Death Ray Guns from Ganesha Games looks pretty good. It's geared for skirmish level games, but you should be able to expand it relatively easily as its a very simple system.

It's also ridiculously cheap.  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »
I agree with Mahon, 5150 is very good! They are very generic in nature and allow pretty much any Sci-Fi genre to be played, eg Firefly, Hammer's Slammers, Dorsai etc.

I don't use points so that isn't a problem and haven't tried a campaign yet, so I don't know about any problems there.

There are some 40K to 5150 adaptations on the Two Hour Wargames Yahoo Group:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/twohourwargames/

which allow you to use your GW figures alongside those of other companies whilst still retaining a pretty good rendition of their weapons and armour etc.

I've used them to allow my son to use his Ultramarines to fight my Copplestone future Wars troopers and it worked very well. Except, of course that he insisted on using all his various tanks etc and quickly kicked my bottom! Bloody 9 year olds :(

Another good set are "Mutants and Death Ray Guns":

http://ganeshagames.blogspot.com/2008/04/mutants-and-death-ray-guns-is-available.html

A bit "Flash Gordon" but still very good rules which will work for a lot of SF.

edit   Ah, JB beat me to it with the M&DRG recommendation!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 09:45:09 AM »
How about 'No Limits'? Generic rules for adapting any minis you like.

http://www.wargamesunlimited.net/nolimits/index.html

AND they are free...  ;D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 10:58:36 AM »
How about 'No Limits'? Generic rules for adapting any minis you like.

http://www.wargamesunlimited.net/nolimits/index.html

AND they are free...  ;D

Free is always good.......

Actually they look very interesting and they have stats for the Grymn  :D

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
Beamstrike is another free set. Quite enjoyed the games I've had down the club using those rules.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline DAWGIE

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 08:42:21 AM »
 I  too am a big fan of 5150 for sci fi gaming; i never mess with points, i jst design a scenario, set up the table and let the dance begin.

DAWGIE hates points and firmly believes in TWYSIWYG rule for miniatures; makes life soo much easier that way . . .

DAWGIE
BFG-5000: DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 09:13:45 AM »
5150 I'm biased I know 1/2 the aliens I made, but try CR2 which is free to down load and it shows how the whole system works.

Tony

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »
The problem with most sci-fi rules is that they are often tied into the miniature ranges of the company that produces them, so using another companies minis can be a problem as what exactly are they? For instance Infinity is a great set of rules, but unfortunately its linked into their own range, which means you can't use all those other great minis you've got lying around. Combat Zone is out there, but I'd put that on the level of necromunda style games, and as said can be difficult to work out how to put aliens in. Mutants and Death ray guns, is a nice set, works well for post-apoc zombie games, but not so well for 'high sci-fi', also the warband generation rules are a little odd.
Of those that are generic (because thats what you're going to need in order to use all those random minis you've got) there are a few options:
1. As already mentioned 5150. Either love it or hate it, personally I'm not at all a fan (one statistic - rep for a whole variety of tests - no thanks), but each to their own.
2. Not many people will mention this one as it as the taint of the evil empire over it - Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader. The original rule book, includes a system for finding points values for your own models/creatures. However its a little limited tactically (I go, you go), but adding in overwatch can make up a little for that. For some its also very heroic based, a good character model can slaughter his way through a whole army.
3. No limits - don't say this too loud, but its basically Rogue Trader/2nd edition 40k with a few differences, alternate play adds another level of tactical thinking. Though there is a system for working out your own points it seems to take up over half the rules.
3. Fast and Dirty (FAD), I've just come across these, my verdict is still out, I'm liking them, but yet to actually play them.
4. well not to be modest, but there's a few other free rules out there, including them I'm writing (see my sig) which aren't quite finished yet, but will give the idea. Feel free to write your own - good wargaming tradition.
Hope that helps,
Dijit

(if anyone knows of any others, please let me know too)

Offline Cranky

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 10:56:28 PM »
I'll second Rogue Trader. Thats back when the game was fun & colorful! Unfortunately you'll spend 2 arms and a ball trying to get a copy, but thats also part indication of it's success/fun factor.