Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:01:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 752
Total: 758

Recent

Author Topic: The ludus of T. Capitanus Sanguinus (ARMINIUS HIC EST 12/10)  (Read 11951 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: The ludus of T. Capitanus Sanguinus
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 02:26:48 PM »
Truth is, I think these sculpts are a good 10 years old - possibly nearer 15. And the larger scale is rather less forgiving than in 28mm.
Beggars can't be choosers though  ;)

True indeed. If you're happy with these sculpts it's all that matters. I just wondered why you (or rather your forebears in the guise of Malamutius, Bibulus etc.) haven't upped your game and acquired some 54 mils. No great leap from 40's really. And there are some lovely models, e.g. the ones from Pegaso. Less pricey and also quite serviceable were Alpha Miniatures (now BlackCat). Would have loved to see your rendition of these.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »
I'm just following the herd Doc  ;)

What with all this recent practice converting every single participant from the War of the Roses, I would have expected you to convert him if was a little boring and 'flat'..... ::)

Ah, now if only someone made plastic gladiators... What a conversion-fest we could have then  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
Ah, now if only someone made plastic gladiators... What a conversion-fest we could have then  :)

Now that's a good idea for a kickstarter  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 10:13:45 PM »

Now that would be great. It would provide a plethora of weapon, shield and helmet counters as well.

But they would have to be in 28mm of course.  ;)

Gorgeous - sculpting has changed a lot in 15 years, and you have done a great job with an older piece!  Id never go with 40mm - im not good enough!

I agree totally with this, concerning the work of all of the "40mm crowd". The unpainted minis look pretty ordinary and dated, but given a great lick of paint, they come up a treat. Kudos to you all for using this line and making them work.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 08:25:40 AM »
Personally speaking as a diehard 28mm fan I really like the larger scale for this type of game. Where you are only using two figures at a time I think 40mm is more effective (or even 54mm, But let's not go there just yet ;)).

I first purchased these Trident Designs/Battle Honours figures about ten years ago at Salute when they first came out. They sat languishing in a box until Frank started to post about BoTS back in the summer. I have during the intervening years bought (and sold) the 28mm Foundry Gladiators and also have the Crusader figures.

I decided to slap some paint on them and they came alive. Yes they are not the most advanced sculpts and are showing their age, but they still have a certain charm about them. The choices are limited, but with some green stuff and a little imagination we are coming up with all the required Gladiator classes.

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 09:39:53 AM »
Maximus gets his second outing tonight. Let's hope he's still alive this time tomorrow  ::)  ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »
Maximus gets his second outing tonight. Let's hope he's still alive this time tomorrow  ::)  ;)

Yes, or he'll be crushed by hammer or torn about by pliers ;) lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
:'(

Maybe that wasn't such a great idea on reflection  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 09:55:15 AM »
:'(

Maybe that wasn't such a great idea on reflection  lol

It will certainly add a new dynamic to the game  :o lol

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »
A certain flat, misshapen dynamic...  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
Yes, or he'll be crushed by hammer or torn about by pliers ;) lol

I'm glad we don't do that in our games - I'd have no miniatures left!  :o

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
Lovely work as per the norm (or should that be Rome) I am not surte on figures as I think they are indeed a good 15 years old orignally sure it was a small company who owned these together with some Romano British saxons etc, someone like flishing blade I think.

how about conversion potential with these little beauties, quite old now however rmember a mate using their for skirmishes based on the Rome TV series ;D

http://www.sashandsaber.com/catalog40CGW.php4

Maybe a few bits in here could be used too

http://www.oldgloryuk.com/disp_items.php?m=43&sh=2

http://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/40mm-718-c.asp

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »
Will check those out Karl - thanks  :)

Well, sad to report, on his second outing, Maximus nearly died. Fighting an overweight German Hoplomachus called Gunther the Gross, Maximus started well, getting a snick in with his sica to inflict a couple of wounds. After that, it was all downhill. Maximus' skill level and fame was no match for the additional strength and weight of the German, not to mention his long spear. Two rounds and it was all over. I never rolled so many dismal dice in my life. Maximus went down with a disabled leg, followed by a plethora of wounds to his torso. Twice disabled, flat on his back, disarmed, unshielded, and trying to fight back with his bare fists, carrying 14 wounds (strangely only 2 of which bled!), Maximus decided to avoid a permanent crippling or hideous disembowelment, by appealing for missio. Which luckily, was granted by the mob. Just. So, Maximus, by the skin of his teeth, much chastened, and in a pretty bad way, returns to the ludus to lick his wounds and learn from his mistakes. But be assured - he'll be back.

Still an interesting, flavoursome and enjoyable game though. But ultimately, like many miniature wargames, it does bring home the basic truth that it's all very dependent on not rolling consistently crap dice. Irrespective of tactics, rolling seven dice and getting seven fails (a couple of times in succession), is always going to do for you  ::)

Happily, I then launched a new gladiator, Arminius the Murmillo - a German brute of my own. He was up against a cowardly Hoplomachus whose name escapes me. Having learned from his stablemate's bitter fate and misfortune, Arminius used the first opportunity to break his opponent's spear - and miraculously (given that he too was cursed with a run of crap dice), succeeded. After that, it was all just a matter of time. For a coward, his opponent put up a surprisingly game defence with his dagger and buckler, but before long he was down and begging for mercy, which again - was granted. A magnanimous crowd in the arena last night, even if Lady Fortuna was absent...

But Arminius... Now I have high hopes for him...

;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
Aha, so all those denarii did serve a purpose  ;)

Good little read there Richard, any pictures of the defeated lanista to gloat over?  ;D

cheers

James

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »
At least Maximus was spared Richard, it sounds like it could have been much worse for him, what with 14 wounds!

The hopes of the Ludus Sanguinus lie with Arminius then? Watch that one though, he doesn't sound very trustworthy...

Arminius' tactic to break his opponent's spear is often overlooked, but instantly removes a Hoplomachus' advantage from the fight. Well done Arminius.

Still an interesting, flavoursome and enjoyable game though. But ultimately, like many miniature wargames, it does bring home the basic truth that it's all very dependent on not rolling consistently crap dice. Irrespective of tactics, rolling seven dice and getting seven fails (a couple of times in succession), is always going to do for you  ::)

Agreed, rolling crap dice is the bane of my existence. I have often built up my dice pool for a match winning attack, then roll the fistful of dice and score nada.  :(

As a note, the Bleeding rules are supposed to simulate cutting or stabbing a major blood vessel or artery. Of course every wound bleeds, but not every wound bleeds enough to hamper a gladiator. Wounds that aren't Bleeding have basically hit muscle, which can take quite a bit of stabbing and cutting.