Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690839
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Mantic Mars Attacks! Funded in 13 minutes!  (Read 71757 times)

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Mantic Mars Attacks! Funded in 13 minutes!
« Reply #345 on: October 03, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »
Now, the question is...will someone come out with replacement domes, and would it be worth waiting?  I'm not invested in this game (hated the film) but it does suck that they don't fit.

The Game has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Movie.

It takes its inspiration from the Cards and Comics.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #346 on: October 03, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
but it does suck that they don't fit.

OK, I'm not saying they don't fit.  They look like they fit as designed by Mantic, but it looks like the design is sub par.  I make that distinction because there are some comments on the Kicksterter of people that think the domes they recieved are defective and are agitating for Mantic to send new ones.  I'm guessing that any replacements would end up looking just the same unless Mantic does some re-design.

I have some Flying Frog Domes that I haven't gotten around to gluing down yet.  If I've got time I'll dig them out and see if they fit the Mantic figures.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #347 on: October 03, 2014, 01:29:04 AM »
The Game has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Movie.

It takes its inspiration from the Cards and Comics.

Okay, well I dislike the entire IP.  Better?  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #348 on: October 03, 2014, 01:52:59 AM »
Okay, well I dislike the entire IP.  Better?  lol

Yes, thankyou - I've been "into" MA since I was a Kid and my Mum bought me some Bubblegum Cards.

The Movie was a HUGE Disappointment to me . . . .. 

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #349 on: October 03, 2014, 05:01:17 AM »
OK, so I brought out my macro and did my best to capture the whole martian helmet issue.

First, here is a shot of how they come from Mantic stacked together.  You can see the that they do not have a circular cross section.

This is about the best shot to demonstrate how the helmet fits on the back by sloping down to the backpack tanks.  You can barely see it with the low contrast but the actual back of the collar sits inside the flare of the helmet by about 2mm. 

I tried to shift the helmet around in various angles and positions, but this is as good as it got.  I also tried out other helmets and other figures and I got this or worse results on each one.  I suspect that the flare was put in because the back of the head is pretty bulbous and may have interfered with a straight sided dome.

I'm perplexed as to what Mantic was thinking with this design.  It's a bit sad because the rest of the components are a step above their earlier board game components such as Project Pandora and Darf Kings Hold.  I have some other pictures from other angles as well.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/rwwingate/IMG_2127_zps3a8704db.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/rwwingate/IMG_2125_zpsb322ee08.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/rwwingate/IMG_2123_zps2de26536.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/rwwingate/IMG_2116_zps67607b27.jpg

I do have to wonder though if one might be able to track down something more suitable.  Maybe an LED cover or some other clear plastic dodad.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #350 on: October 03, 2014, 05:47:42 AM »
Man, this is just bad design for such a key element of the Martians. What a shame.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #351 on: October 03, 2014, 06:22:59 AM »
The helmet in that last image is not in the correct position though.

It should go all the way to the front.

But even when you do that it does slope at the back. But not nearly as bad.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #352 on: October 03, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
OK - Here's my Review of the Mars Attacks Miniatures Game.

Got Mine yesterday, and here are my initial Thoughts - the Plastic Material - not a fan, it holds the detail 'OK' - but not as good as Restic – I know some people have said its fine or it looks great etc – without being arrogant I have handled hundreds (perhaps thousands) of miniatures over the last four decades, and quality-wise these (though above “average” for the material they are made of) are not the best I’ve seen. Either that or perhaps my own personal standards are a lot higher than other reviewers – or maybe I can “quell” the geek in me long enough to look at things realistically LoL!

Colouring the Plastic the way they have kinda obscures the Detail to the naked eye – especially with the Red Miniatures, I know they are aiming to snag boardgamers as well with the product – but that particular shade of Red does the sculpts no favours at all.

The Martian Soldiers however Look Good in the Green Plastic – the detail is clearly present. But out of all the models, the Human Military look the best in the raw plastic – perhaps because of the beige colour? (Although it would have been hysterically funny for me to see them produced in the same colour plastic as the Green Army Men he, he, he . . . ).

The detail (and the VERY fine Mold Lines LoL) becomes clear when the models are Undercoated – but because the detail is very fine/shallow (especially on the Hero miniatures) I recommend a good quality Undercoat, and several fine coats when spraying.

The Helmets themselves are fine - not exactly what I was expecting - but they work.

The Card Components are nice, and I got the clear plastic stands with my set – other reviewers observations about the card standees not working with the card inserts (the bit you use to make them stand up) is correct, the die cutting of the components left the slots way too wide. The Tokens are nice and sturdy and should stand up to a good deal of use. The Card “Trackers” are clear and bright, and again quite sturdy. People have complained the Cards themselves are thinner than Deadzone – I found them to be roughly the same thickness - plus the quality of Card used, and the quality of the printing itself is towards the high end of the Market – any concerns about wear through use are easily avoided by the use of Card Sleeves.

The play mats situation is a little “odd” – several reviewers have complained the Paper used on the play mat is flimsy – and I would agree about the one that came in the Box. The extra Loose Ones I got were much better quality, thicker paper – but (as is usual with these things) the folds are so precise and strong – even the thicker play mats are going to break apart with continued use. If I were a customer purchasing this game in a store – I would (personally) prefer to spend a little more for Card Sections that I could use for longer.

The Rulebooks are sumptuous, like reading a graphic novel – really REALLY high quality.  But over three books for the Core Game and Two Expansions – not indication of Points Costs – are we going to get them at some point? If we don’t they are severely limiting the long term play life of the game – I know I get bored of playing set scenarios with set models quite quickly, as I generally write my own Campaigns etc – and I am sure I am not alone in that way of thinking.

Lastly, the Terrain – what more can I say than WOW – awesome, builds like a dream etc, etc – only ONE Criticism (and it was the same with DeadZone) not enough Connectors LoL! You need way more corner connectors than they provide LoL (thankfully, I had plenty spare).

Final Thoughts – a Good Solid Set of Rules, Usable Components – what I would like to see in the future are “deluxe” versions of the Plastic Miniatures (like they did for Dungeon Saga – with the Resin editions of the Miniatures) for OCD Collectors and Hobbyists like me.

Game Play – 9/10 (No Points System in Place as of Yet)

Product Quality – 8/10 (The Material used on the Miniatures and the Paper Play Mat factored here)

Product Life – 7/10 (I can’t see casual players taking to this in a big way, future products might change this though)

Overall – 8/10

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #353 on: October 03, 2014, 02:54:28 PM »
The helmet in that last image is not in the correct position though.

It should go all the way to the front.

But even when you do that it does slope at the back. But not nearly as bad.

You can't see from that angle but the bottom has a slight bell shape all the way around and you can't slide it any farther forward without it starting to ride up on the sides.  So sliding it forward made it look slightly better in the back but worse on the sides/front.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #354 on: October 03, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
You can't see from that angle but the bottom has a slight bell shape all the way around and you can't slide it any farther forward without it starting to ride up on the sides.  So sliding it forward made it look slightly better in the back but worse on the sides/front.

Strange. Mine don't seem to have that problem.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #355 on: October 03, 2014, 10:02:17 PM »
Strange. Mine don't seem to have that problem.

Pics?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #356 on: October 04, 2014, 01:08:38 PM »
Pics?

Certainly. I will put up a thread when I start painting.  lol

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #357 on: October 04, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »
Certainly. I will put up a thread when I start painting.  lol

Ha, I can sympathize there.  My MA figs are behind a bunch of new Malifaux plastic, then the my remaining seven zombicide heroes.  Of course I'm also keeping a window open for shadows of brimstone if it ever shows up, so my martians are realistically into the winter before they see any paint.  The humans have some cross over potential for zombie games so they might end up higher on the schedule.

There's always the possibility that if I wait long enough some enterprising soul will figure out a good fix for the helmets before I get around to mine.  As far as I can see with my copy the helmets are about the only complaint I have.

Part of me wishes I could just leave well enough alone with board game figures and focus on tabletop minis, but for some reason I just can't stop myself and end up taking a game out of the rotation for months because I've got half the figures painted and can't get around to getting the rest finished.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #358 on: October 04, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »
If the helmets are mis-vac'd then contact Sarah at mantic's customer services and she'll sort I'm sure.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #359 on: October 04, 2014, 11:43:24 PM »
If the helmets are mis-vac'd then contact Sarah at mantic's customer services and she'll sort I'm sure.

I would if I thought they were malformed.  All of mine look the same and seem to match (generally) the pics I've seen of other peoples helmets.  I was waiting to see if anyone is reporting that they've got a set that actually fits in the collar before contacting Mantic for replacements.