Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690457
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Whizzkids pirates of the spanish main  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Lee Lowe

• Assistant
Whizzkids pirates of the spanish main
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:27:36 AM »
Does anybody play the very addictive wizzkids pirates of the spanish main card ship game?

Fantastic fun and very easy!

We are planning to combine these ships with the WH Pirate book for our campaign.

We shall be using the ships for navel battles, there will be some biggies :D and the 28mm minis for the land battles/explorations ect.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Re: Whizzkids pirates of the spanish main
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »
I agree - a very fun game indeed. The boats have no end of use as well. I've used them in 6mm gaming, too, and they look splendid at that scale (undersized, but still very ship-like). Likewise I think they're great for pirate gaming, particularly campaign usage, like you've said.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:07:28 PM »
Sounds like plane to me. let us know how it works out for you guys
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:14:30 PM »
Had a mad phase of playing it for a while, but haven't done so lately. Wings of War has  usurped its throne as king of the "ready to play" type games around here.

Still, it is lots of fun. Am planning to use the ships for ship actions in the role-playing game that the same company put out (it has new rules for using the collectable ships in the book).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lee Lowe

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:12:53 PM »
I have seen the wings of war around but not played it yet, is it any good? I understand you can replace the cards with the mini plane's.

Do you need much to get started?

I'll let you know how it goes, We took some photographs of a game we had last week, as soon as one i get them on disk i'll post them up for you to have a look at.

We have been making up our own scenarios like sink the flagship, rescue and breakthrough, so not just gold hunting.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »
This site has everything you need to know about Wings of War (including the full rules): http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/wingsofwar.html. It is a fast and fun game with a lot more depth to it than first glances indicate as a lot of the detail is built into the maneuver cards.

I had a lot of fun with the Wizkid ships when it first came out. You can't beat them for price. I have a collection of 1/1200 Langton models, but they average about $12 each and then you have to paint and rig them!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:00:07 PM »
There's a turn-by-turn run-through of a game of WoW here on my blog, Lee:

http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/

Might give you an idea of how it plays. If you get one of the boxes you can play a game with that (it comes with little cards for the planes). But it is much more fun with the models.

Anyhow, back to pirates...

I seem to remember that there are some extra scenarios on the PotSM website somewhere. We did one once where a stricken treasure galleon is slowly sinking, and the various factions are fighting each other to get the gold off before she goes under. That one was quite good fun.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:55:25 PM »
I have a shipload(!) of PotSM, and I'm writing up a campaign sysem to use it with LotHS and UBF.

Haven't got WoW, yet, but looked at it in the nearest game store Saturday, just before I went watching KotCS (but THAT, as they say, is a completely different matter...)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline BarmyBob

• Assistant
  • Adopt a Rescued PitBull Today
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »
Ive got loads of ships for all the Pirates games by whiz kids..... as to WWI Aeroplane games, I highly reccomend Aerodrome 1.1
Played with 1/72 scale planes on 5inch hexes....absolutely brilliant game!
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." --John Galt

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29:40 AM »
I have a shipload(!) of PotSM, and I'm writing up a campaign sysem to use it with LotHS and UBF.

This sounds very interesting - are you going to share it when you are done?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Red Ed

• Student
  • Red Aid will take care of your families
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 06:34:40 AM »

Haven't got WoW, yet, but looked at it in the nearest game store Saturday, just before I went watching KotCS (but THAT, as they say, is a completely different matter...)
I've recently begun snapping up fleets of PotSM ships on ebay for cheep, cheep, cheep with much the same idea in mind. The PotSM game system has way too many fantastic violations of basic physics and common sense for me, but the ships themselves look great and are a super deal for the price.  I'm sure that I'll find some good use for them soon.

Ed

PS - If you havn't tried it yet WoW is jolly good fun with the mini planes.  I'm looking forward to more WWII planes, and hopefully to some inter-war (Spanish Civil War) developments eventually.
"And remember, while you're out there risking life and limb through shot and shell, we'll be in here thinking what a sucker you are." - Rufus T. Firefly

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »
These ships are great fun - as are the Star Wars ones!

When the 200th anniversary of Trafalgar came up, we put on a demo game at a local show using them, at a 1:1 scale and with some home-made "back of a postcard" rules. Ok, so the ships themselves were not too accurate, but it gave a great re-enactment game and looked fantastic.

HMS Victory was sunk by one of her own ships in the chaos of close-in fighting, even though the Royal Navy did eventually triumph. Well, those flags are pretty small, especially when the players are all middle-aged and short-sighted lol

Happily it wasn't my fault this time  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:24:57 AM »

This sounds very interesting - are you going to share it when you are done?

I can do that - but be warned: I like tables for generating things  :D

Generally I'm going to aim for randomly generated 'maps'/playing areas of 3'x3' for moving around the pieces, using PotSM rules - then when a Player Character ship starts a move in close range of another vessel, or when a PC-team lands on an island with either natives, other 'civilized' people or another PC-team, action shifts to either UBF or LotHS. I'm writing rules for NPC-vessels, islands with fantastic flora/fauna, lost civilizations and a lot of other pulpy stuff, but purists could just ignore those results when generating terrain/occupants.

It's a little bit on hold for the moment, as I'm too busy with the LPL  ;) to do anything else at the moment, but I'll be back working on pirate/navy teams and the rules soon after the league is done.... notch me about it in a month or so  :)

EDIT: Last round of the LPL has been postponed; in other words, it may be a little longer before I'm back fiddling with pirates  ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:51:04 PM by Argonor »

Offline Lee Lowe

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
There are some great ships for this game, I mainly collect Royal Navy and have to say HMS Endevour is the daddy, it costs 21 points to hire but with every shot on target taking out 2 masts you only need a couple of them to hit.

I have a small pirate fleet also, again some nice ships but I dont have anything mega powerfull.

Re wow I'm going to get a couple of planes and give it a whirl.

I have some photo's of our club game of pirates Ill post a couple on here as soon as I get 5 mins.