Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question: How far North in the USA do adobe buildings exist?  (Read 6111 times)

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
Re: Question: How far North in the USA do adobe buildings exist?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »
In the summer traditional adobe bricks are doable, July and August for the most part. The quality is going to be less, hence additional supports were common. As to flat roofs they are characteristic for adobe but by no means necessary. Part of it just comes down to what disciplines are using the terms and where.

former user

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
THX Cory, that was very interesting information

indeed, adobe simply means dried and tempered clay brick - if you can dry it in summer, only thing you have to do is keeping it away from rain - with a proper saddleroof, a dry stone foundation and timber framing, no problem.
this kind of building is not only very healthy, but also useful when it comes to climate control.
they are not only used in modern ecological construction, but have been used up to the modern times in europe too.

But I think @Mason referred to the traditional pure mudbrick building, without framework or roofing

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
I know the region a little bit, since my dad lives in Laramie, Wyo. My experience has been that you'll find Spanish-style adobe up as far as southern Colorado (which is pretty dry and hot). There's adobe further north but it tends to be pretty basic buildings usually with some kind of wood roof or just as walls. (Fort Laramie had adobe walls for a time.) And, as noted, winter snow and rains play hell with durability.

Zeb Cook

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16:52 AM »
Another point to keep in mind, I'm pretty sure adobe was preferred in the southwest as much because of its insulating quality - not just availability of material. 

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 08:39:38 AM »
I would hazard a guess that if the town name is Spanish, Adobe is likely, if the town name is "English" the Adobe is in short supply.
My Western town, when I set up all of it, has a Spanish section on one side of the railroad tracks and the wooden buildings on the other.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 08:29:12 PM »
Things to consider,if these conditions don't exist then the building might be built but maintenance will be a nightmare.  Consider this alist of background reading to help you determine if it would eb likely to have been built given the weather patterns and time period of your setting.

http://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-preserve/briefs/5-adobe-buildings.htm

http://ag.arizona.edu/oals/ALN/aln47/mchenry.html

http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/QandA/adobe/structural.htm

http://www.vegas.com/traveltips/top-10-historic-las-vegas/

Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort Historic Park
Las Vegas was once a dusty stop on a mail service trail between Salt Lake City and Los Angeles and a series of natural springs refreshed travelers en route. In 1855, the Mormon Church settled in this area and built a permanent structure.

The oldest non-Indian structures in Southern Nevada, these adobe buildings -- such as the beige and red house portion -- are also the oldest historic building standing here today. They are open to visitors interested in exploring Las Vegas history. It's just steps away from Cashman Center and located near other museums in the city's cultural corridor.

http://www.getty.edu/conservation/publications_resources/newsletters/14_1/news1_1.html

http://epa.gov/region5/sustainable/energyadvice.html

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/world-heritage/pueblo-de-taos/

I have been to Pueblo de Taos.    The land, the culture, and the architecture are in balance, a key to the probability of Adobe structures being built/maintained.  Anglo-centric would be a big cultural minus in many cases no matter where the geography.  Just IMNSHO.

http://www.victoria.ac.nz/research/expertise/architecture-design/reinforced-adobe-buildings

Short Answer - it depends on when as much as where.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »
Bloody hell, Glenn.
That is some answer!
 :o

You have given me plenty to consider there.
In fact, I should have a pretty comprehensive rationale for either a yea or a nay by the time I have finished the research.

Thank you very much!
 :D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »
Bloody hell, Glenn.
That is some answer!
 :o

You have given me plenty to consider there.
In fact, I should have a pretty comprehensive rationale for either a yea or a nay by the time I have finished the research.

Thank you very much!
 :D

:)
Research  8) is my job.   ;)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »
Seriously, I considered building or buying an Adobe house when I retire to New Mexico (2017 time frame) but between the politics/building code and maintenance demands (Adobe is great for the short term but it can be maintenance intensive in the longer run, especially for the 70 plus age group...)

My wife is pushing for an apartment initially and then (possibly,) a Condo or long term lease on an apartment afterwards.

Xeriscaping (see Rio Ranch NM) is a lower maintenance alternative but I digress.

It is easier to maintain if the whole village/nation/tribe is involved/responsible.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
My parents were interested in one in Santa Fe for many years, they settled on AZ instead. 

My area of study is not the South West nor adobe structures, so my advice comes from my personal experiences in the area only.  When Mason asked about 'Adobe' my mind thought of that very typical structure in Arizona, New Mexico and places like that which can really only be built in the areas mentioned.  This is a combo of materials, climate, etc.  But if you want to include clay structures, then this is a much wider indention and could cover structures as far as Africa.  I assumed a more precise definition...

Someone had mentioned that the ability to insulate was a higher concern than the availability of materials, but I would have to disagree in this exact formulation.  I think that factors such as insulating properties, dryness, etc, are so fundamental to house design that they can be assumed in any construction to be priorities.  So as much as form follows function, so does the availability of materials.  Lets say that igloo's were found to have the best insulating and dryness qualities, why are they not built worldwide?  This is a dramatic example, but I use it to make the point.  Having a somewhat extensive travel experience, it's clear that every people have houses and homes of some type.  But it's often how they are built and with what, even in the modern age, that is different.  This is driven as much by the availability of materials as it is by basic factors of insulation, dryness, etc.  This is also true for researchers.  The very best materials may for some types of research be classified, so I am often limited by what materials I can actually get my hands upon.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
<snip>  This is also true for researchers.  The very best materials may for some types of research be classified, so I am often limited by what materials I can actually get my hands upon.

I can neither confirm or deny...

Although Open Source is very popular right now...

Gracias,

Glenn