Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 08:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697310
  • Total Topics: 118819
  • Online Today: 589
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How many IHMN enthusiasts are actually playing games and painting figures?  (Read 6204 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
I'm not criticising anyone personally.

No problem, Captain, I don't think anyone thought you were. Your observations are well worth consideration: there's something--what--special?--different?--about IHMN that turns on the creative juices in certain people. I must be off to work right now, but perhaps I'll expound on that thought when I return...it's worth further comment.

Mike O
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
Well, I'm certainly a practitioner of the above, at least in part, as I've turned myself to working on my fictional background for my games as I haven't currently cleared enough of a space in either my home or my schedule to do any painting.

Luckily, my writing seems to have been a hit and keeps people coming back to my blog. And I certainly haven't slowed down in ACQUIRING minis for the game (and for EOTD). But I think that's one thing that is special about IHMN -- Craig and Charles have made the rules expressly so that one is encouraged, nearly COMPELLED, to create one's own companies because the method is clearly explained, everything is costed out, and examples are given. The abundant examples in the two books currently available and on the IHMN blog are great.

I look forward to the time, hopefully after the holidays, when I can actually get some paint on some minis and show off what my mind is picturing when I write about these despicable denizens of steampunk London. My wife just asked me the other day, "Is Miss Rossum going to ever run into the Crooked Man?" Oh yes, and little does she know it's going to happen on our gaming table before it ever happens in fiction. But I'm as eager to see it as everyone else.
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
I have painted two companies but have not played a game. One is the Black Dragon Tong which has fluff but I have not done anything about doing fluff for my Aztecs.

I also have a mate and his son who are painting but not playing yet.

I did voice my opinion about a week ago that I was worried that this could be a fad as I have not heard of anyone at the local club playing either.

I have big plans for doing terrain but have stalled at this time as Summer is here and I need to work outside at weekends.

Offline steharan

• Librarian
I am gratified to see that the discussion has embodied the most important rule from IHMN (and arguably any wargame EVER!) and that is to be a Gentleman (or Lady!). I think the most singularly stand out aspect of IHMN is that fact that it won't stand up to tournament play and therefore power-gaming will not provide the reward that other more defined game systems can. And therefore it naturally follows that the "fluff" element of IHMN is one of the main drivers for the game and part of the main reason I started playing it.

What better way to have fun than to game and tell a story, in what ever format, and that is why I think there appear to be lots of lists and fluff topics. The gamers on here want to tell a story and "Bravo" I say. I very rarely win my games however I ensure that each game tells a story and as such my fellow gamers modify the game as we play it to ensure that it benefits the story.

That being said I do need to get a better camera set up so I can post some eye-candy as requested!

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
As one of the backers of Westwinds Requiem kickstarter, I started playing EOTD at the club early on this year but once in receipt of the new cheeky upstart's IHMN rules at Triples found them easier to play and more entertaining. So we began playing using our already painted Westwind figures. With a few additions such as making the rules usable for multiple players and user friendly cards we then took it to shows...

Now I have most of the Northstar sets painted I may return to using the stated company lists, though it is tempting to mix up the Northstar Tong with the Requiem Tong or even have them face off against each other! Club games are ongoing but have to fit in with Bolt Action, FOW and Saga (and occasionally work and family). So many decent games, so few hours to play them in!
So 2014 looks to be interesting as we kick off at Vapnartak in York...

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
My group have painted quite a lot, played quite a bit and are still planning on building more terrain. The main problem we have is the lighting in my house is not great for taking pictures of our projects.
Seeing as my house is the venue 9 times out of 10. This is where all our stuff gets gathered for a punch up. We really would like to show our endeavours, but the presentation wouldn't be very visible.

The other problem I have personally is I kinda like lots of different cross-over genre stuff and this does tend to distract me from one game to another.

IHMN has re-ignited an interest for me into VSF. Which our group had put onto the back-burner many years ago. Its' adaptability has been the main driving force for our group, as now we can put back together the ideas we had in our own World over 20 years ago.

Plus if we have a game night to aim at it does make you want to paint those lead/plastic mountains!

I think, I can say I've done a fair bit recently.

Thanks.