Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:19:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Playing KKBB with Victory Games 007 RPG  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Playing KKBB with Victory Games 007 RPG
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:25:44 AM »
Well, with Copplestone's monthly special out, and Photographer incredible work on the miniatures, I decided to pick up some KKBB. They haven't arrived yet, but I've been checking my collections for miniatures that can cross over and other things, as well as thinking about rules.

Naturally, any of the Pulp rules out there (but I'm thinking mostly in terms of .45 Adventures - it's just what I own) can be tweaked, chance cards added and technology updated for some really fun games (I've seen them on this forum too!). But, I came across something really interesting in my collection:

(Photo is from eBay)

I was wondering if anyone has played the 007 RPG from Victory Games, and does it lend itself to miniature gaming at all?

If anything, the Q Manual has some great ideas for equipment, it's just that the stats are practically meaningless!

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
Re: Playing KKBB with Victory Games 007 RPG
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:59:59 AM »
OMG!!  I actually have this game.  Purchased it more then twenty years ago.  I don't remember much about playing it but I remember enjoying all the background info.  I dug it out and quickly skimmed through it.  The rules acually suggests using playing pieces and/or one inch graph paper to resolve combat with 10 feet equaling one inch.  Movement is worked out so that a character could move a number of inches equal to his SPEED.  Weapon list already have the ranges in inches.  There are a lot of skills and stuff that would work better off the board but for the most part I think it would work.  I think I'm going to keep this book out to reminisce so let me know if there is anything specific your looking for.

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
    • A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »
Like many early RPG's, 007 could probably be retrofitted to work as a minis game with little effort. However, one of the real high points of these rules - IMHO - was the skills system. I think it might be a little too complex for miniatures gaming, and would most certainly slow down game play. (And would likely require the presence of a GM to officiate the game.) Of course, being an inveterate game tinkerer, I would recommend - if you're really keen on the game - giving it try regardless. With the right house rules, just about any RPG can be turned into a miniatures game.

Have you considered any alternatives? TSR's Top Secret (without use of the Companion) might be a good fit for a small-unit skirmish game. Like most of TSR's early box-set RPG's, it's really little more than a set of miniatures game rules with a fine veneer of RPG rules spread over the top. I've considered using it myself, when I ultimately take the plunge and start buying the KKBB minis...

:)
My RPG blog: A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
My miniatures gaming blog: A Hard Won Thing

"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »
Many many years ago I directed frequently 007  with my usual group of players,
and precisely last spring in a nostalgia's rush we played again a007  campaing, so i feel i can give you my opinion.

In terms of miniature use it's a game a bit contradictory, some suplements came with grilled maps,
standing cardboard toons and cars, but on the other side the rules are vague enoug to don't really
need a physical representation of the situation.
We must remember is a James Bond game where the action focuses more in spectacular situations
and fun than in real facts.

I dont think the 007 rules will work with miniatures, as a sample, I bought and painted some KKBB models
for the new gaming sessions and we never used them. Of course the game was a rpg plot, but even in
situations like the assault at a URSS embassy the 007 rule system works well with a simple sketch and
vague descriptions of the set. The hero points system is so powerful than the surrounding area can change
 at any moment in any way.

I agree Zenwired, the game is great but their skill system is a bit old, it's great and I love it, but if you
aren't very skilled on their use can bea bit boring to handle and can slow the game rythm.

On their time Victory Games released other 007 games, maybe more easy to adapt for a miniature game
The big box boardgame Assault, based on the island assault at "You only lve twice"
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9565/james-bond-007-assault-game

and a serie of small boardgames intended for non-usual-players set in specific situations of the 007 films
Goldfinger car chase
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6567/007-james-bond-goldfinger
live and let die boat chase
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3863/007-james-bond-live-and-let-die
the man with the golden gun
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6809/007-james-bond-the-man-with-the-golden-gun
You only live twice
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6564/007-james-bond-you-only-live-twice

IMHO in all the cases the work will be quite big so maybe will be better to pick a more modern
and generic system
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:43:50 AM by Donpimpom »

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 02:53:25 AM »
Personally, I was planning to mine the 007 and TSR Top Secret rules I have for skirmish game scenarios. I remember the 007 game had an interesting abstract chase scene mechanic.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:17:48 AM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:19:56 AM by Mattias »
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 08:44:56 AM »
 :o looks very very interesting!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »
Yeah, they sure make it sound exciting.