Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:11:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 710
Total: 716

Recent

Author Topic: Near Future small Sci-fi Skirmish rules (Aliens/Blade Runner/ etc)?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline jgodwin17

• Assistant
Re: Near Future small Sci-fi Skirmish rules (Aliens/Blade Runner/ etc)?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 04:30:02 AM »
Savage Worlds:  Although an RPG it works fairly well as a miniature skirmish game.  They have "Showdown" which is suppose to be even more a miniature game but I have not played it. 

I agree about AE Bounty.  Great Game but the force creation is both frustrating and difficult to adapt. 

I'll have to give Savage Worlds a look then, sometimes the more rules light RPGs tend to give you a lot in terms of character customization. On a side note, I've been following your blog for quite some time (as Sabotage!) and it's very inspiring. I love how you scratch build terrain and make vehicles out dollar general purchases and have them turn out top notch, that definitely requires a lot of creativity.

I'll have to give Laserburn a look Blacksmith, I've not heard much except that it's inspired by Rogue Trader (though I might be confused or misheard something).

I'm really not a fan of how the 7TV games work, at least from skimming the demo rules Nurgle, but I might be willing to actually give one a play.

Star Mogul is a solid suggestion n815e, but unfortunately it is squad based and I'm looking for single model activation (I should have posted that in the initial comment).

I'm unfamiliar with the Judge Dredd rules, I'll have to see if I can take a look at them.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, keep them coming! Soon I'll have too many sets to decide from!

Offline ogryn

• Librarian
  • Mercpancake
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 06:31:34 AM »
I second the dredd rules for any generic sci fi. They are extremely easy to convert to your own liking and everything you might need is included in the rules, most gun types, vehicles, heroes, skills, campaign.
If its not there, it is very easy to adapt/bolt in what u need.
I think there is still a free version on Mongoose publishing site somewhere.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 09:04:54 AM »
On a side note, I've been following your blog for quite some time (as Sabotage!) and it's very inspiring. I love how you scratch build terrain and make vehicles out dollar general purchases and have them turn out top notch, that definitely requires a lot of creativity.

Thanks!  I've got more on the way.  :D

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 09:27:39 AM »
Laserburn is a game from the 80's, with percentages in shooting and in armour saves, but it's a very good game for skirmishes with 10 figures per side. The game was written by Brian Ansell and Richard Halliwell (I think...) and it is from Rogue Trade came from. I think you can buy it in 15mm.co.uk
Characters had three skills: Weapon skill, Combat skill and Initiative.
There is a yahoo group worth to visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/afewgonadsmore/info
From the rulebook:
"LEAD FANATIC HORDES OF REDEMPTIONISTS TO CLEANSE, PURIFY AND GENERALLY OBLITERATE EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IN THE VERY HEART OF THE IMPERIUM...

TELEPORT DOWN INTO THE THE MERCILESS MAELSTROM OF A RELENTLESS ASSAULT ON THE DESERT OUTPOST OF THE RED REDEMPTION...

HATE PEOPLE A LOT."

Offline jgodwin17

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 01:07:50 AM »
Hey there everyone, thanks again for the suggestions.

Thanks Gary, I'm not sure on Space Vixens. It could definitely have some decent rules, and I would give them a try if they were free, but the aesthetic kind of makes me wary if I have to pay.

I'm hearing a lot of good things of Judge Dredd, and I tried to find a free demo or cut down rulesets, but I couldn't. I look it up on Wargames Vault, but it was 27$, and that's a bit much for a ruleset I haven't seen. When I go home for the Holidays in December I'll have to stop by one of the game stores and see if they have it, so I can skim through it, because it sounds awesome. And the two game stores here are tiny, and one only does MTG.

Ironworker, I'm definitely looking forward to it!

That sounds pretty awesome Blacksmith, I looked it up on 15mm.co.uk and the price is very reasonable too. I think I may be making an order in the next week or so!

Out of curiosity has any tried "The Department?" I noticed it's based on the Goal System mechanic, which I like (though I didn't really like Blasters and Bulkheads), and the theme seems pretty appropriate, at least for Blade Runner type near future games (maybe I could use ItEN for more combat oriented games, or adapt The Department a bit).

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist

Offline jgodwin17

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
Thanks N815e! I don't know how I overlooked those  :?

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »
It should really be some place easier to find.