Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689840
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Walking Dead is......(!!SPOILERS!!)  (Read 24439 times)

Offline jp762

• Scientist
  • Wait a mo! This isn't Motorhead!
    • JP sees lead people....(and then tries to paint them)
Re: The Walking Dead is......(!!SPOILERS!!)
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2014, 11:39:13 PM »
He came wandering down the tracks with his lumberjack shirt on and I scared the missus out of her chair by yelling "Bub"! to which she replied, "yes dear, calm down"
Wimmin, no empathy.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2014, 10:11:44 PM »
Given up on The Walking Dead ... I do hope Rick and Carl make it until civilisation fixes itself ... right off to watch Arrow instead. Yes I know, plot holes abound and very silly but at least it tries to advance its plot and frankly its fun.  :)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2014, 09:32:39 AM »
I had that same boredom feeling with Prison Break, there was no end to it............
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2014, 04:28:15 PM »
I do like the gung ho bloodnut in the latest episodes. He cracks me up.

He was great in Band of Brothers
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »
Did anyone else notice Bub's cameo?  :D
Funny thing is i noticed him right away. But didnt recognize Denise Crosby till they mentioned her name on Talking Dead. :-)

Grimm

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2014, 09:58:58 PM »
This season has been great with many highs and lows. I think with the zombie genre as a whole the walking dead is a lot more plausible than most movies seem to be.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »
I like the survivalist aspect.  Has anyone played ZPocolypse board game?  It has the same sort of riff...  If you make it 4 days you are epic, so a bit more deadly...

Offline Chainmailninja

• Bookworm
    • Zed or Alive: The Zombie Miniatures Game
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2014, 11:10:35 PM »
The thing I like the most about WD is that it shows "the world" in a larger scope than most zombie movies tend to. Usually, the main characters are stuck in a mall or other static set and you don't get to see the effects on the world at large, or how they play out over the long term. It leaves you wondering how cool it'd be to see what's going outside the mall, which is exactly what WD shows. To me, it's a refreshing change of gears from most zombie flicks. :)

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »
I think it would be fair to say its decent TV at a time when decent TV is a rare thing. Most of the TV shows here are fixing up houses or cooking crap show with a competition aspect. (because its so f'ing boring IRL they have to add cut throat competition to it to make it viewable.)

That alone makes it decent viewing

I do think there is some very fine acting in it ... particularly from the actors who play Rick and Carl.

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2014, 05:06:23 AM »
The thing I like the most about WD is that it shows "the world" in a larger scope than most zombie movies tend to. Usually, the main characters are stuck in a mall or other static set and you don't get to see the effects on the world at large, or how they play out over the long term. It leaves you wondering how cool it'd be to see what's going outside the mall, which is exactly what WD shows. To me, it's a refreshing change of gears from most zombie flicks. :)

This.

Not that I don't like a trashed mall or bloody hospital, but it's nice to see the medium spread its wings.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2014, 08:54:58 AM »
This.

Not that I don't like a trashed mall or bloody hospital, but it's nice to see the medium spread its wings.

I'm with Carmen, I love it all...  :D  That said, it's only fair to point out that unlike films, WD has many many hours to spin out their tale, which allows for this wider world view. Whereas in a 2 hour film, I think the shopping mall, cityscape does an admirable job in conveying either a taste of the initial chaos or a slice of the 'long term game'.  WD has had to deal with interesting questions.  It's not like say a film that takes place sometime after the outbreak and says, "Ok, at this point we think that 70% of the initial zombies are still active." WD must not only answer those questions but also in a more serious way deal with how this attrition takes place other than human activity.  

As an aside, In the nuclear age I've always been curious what would happen in a PA context once various reactors start to meltdown and traveling becomes really interesting....

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »
I was really close to giving it up, but hung in there and am sort of starting to like it again, sometimes at least. TBH I think the quality of the show is VERY inconsistant, when it's good it can be REALLY good, but when it's bad it really really sucks. First season was great, second season sucked for the most part , third season was inconsistent all the way through, same goes for the fourth season, almost gave up on it halfway when they did the governor centric episodes, just really couldn't care less about the character, but it started to get better after they left the prison, although it's still very inconsistant, the daryl/what's her name, maggie's sister episode didn't do anything for me, but the carol kills the kids one was great.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2014, 09:33:25 PM »
My issue with it is that the wider picture is not covered. The most we got was in season one and two when they were travelling and we got flashnacks and info aboit cities getting run over by zombie swarms. Seeing shop of the week having been abandoned doesnt tell me anything new.

I think the show has missed a real opportunity to illustrate what the movies dont have time to cover.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »
Caught up last night on the finale. Pretty superb episode. Rick just is pure Awesome badass and what a cliff hanger to end on dammit!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
The series has been a mixed bag: I tired of The Governor and some of the Great Trek episodes of late have had too much tedium but there have also been some edge-of-the-seat absolute crackers as well.

Quote from: Too Bo Coo
As an aside, In the nuclear age I've always been curious what would happen in a PA context once various reactors start to meltdown and traveling becomes really interesting....

I've seen only the one PA movie  - German, The Got Chronicles, IIRC - that considers that.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)