Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 05:06:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696316
  • Total Topics: 118758
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 20mm taliban force (vehicles, minis and scenery) : last update  (Read 39895 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
20mm taliban force (vehicles, minis and scenery) : last update
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »
Hi,

THis week end I found 2 cheap (2euros each) diecast Toyota Hilux 4 door pickups in a supermarket. They are marked as 1/57scale, but I found they went pretty well with my 20mm modern miniatures I recently bought.

These pickup are already pretty big in real life (maybe as tall as a medium sized man, I'd say), so I guess it's OK to convert them to add 2 technicals to my insurgent fleet, even if these vehicles are a bit big for this scale, as you can see on the pics, properly based 20mm minis size work visually quite well.

So I decided to strip the paint, and start thinking how I will make them. I'm waiting for some resin truescale technicals from Sandsmodels, so I didn't dediced for now what kind of weapons I'll use on them (for now, the mock up setup is with machin guns).

I also started to convert 2 sandsmodels afghan minis to use as gunners. I already have 2 elhiem gunners (a bit smaller) that I reserve for the true scale technicals I'm waiting for delivery.

In this topic, I'll show you my conversion work in progress. It's my first attempt as modern warfare modelling (and wargaming). I'm also working on french and insurgents modern forces (we'll see in other topics).

On pics, minis are Elhiem (french modern and machine guns), Sandsmodels (afghans). I recommand both ranges, full of character ( I recently discovered 20mm scale, and for me it's really something almost as good looking as 28mm, but almost as cheap as 15mm  lol)

The first thing I'm thinking about is how make these wheels a bit less fancy. I'll probably remove the wheel spoke with Xacto, and then resculpt something simple with GS.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:28:14 PM by sundayhero »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: W.I.P : diecast technical conversions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
Lookin' good.  Would be worthwhile to find a source for better wheels/tires.  Surely some specialty shop somewhere sells just rugged looking wheels tires.  The silly blinged out 36" wheels on those trucks really ruin the look.  :-[

I can't wait to see the finished product!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:28:20 PM »
thanks,

I'll find a way to make the wheels look more a worker pickup than a luxury car, don't worry ;)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:03:24 PM »
I found some parts in my slotcars wreck, some diecasts wheels someone sent me years ago. Not good for slot cars, but (I hope) perfect for this project. NEVER throw anything  lol

The best thing is that I have 2 full sets of identical rims. The tires are a bit thin, what do you think ? Maybe I should make my own with greenstuff, but I'm afraid to not make them good enough. I'll see if I have some too hard rubber old slot car tires a bit thicker, maybe. But these thin tires actually help the car to be more height scale accurate...Maybe once I'll put the front wheels in right position, it will appear less thin.

Forget about the bad wheels position (like the huge gap between the front wheels and car body), just a mock up presentation with some metal spacers maintaining everything for the pic.

I'll work on these more seriously tommorow.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:17:11 AM »
That looks loads better.   :D  You may now continue good sir!  lol

PS: if the tires come off the new rims, surely something could be used as replacement tires...rubber washers of some sort, or something that could be easily cut to size.  They actually don't look too awful the way they are...but something chunkier wouldn't look bad. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:18:54 AM by Elbows »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
Great looking project!  :)
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:21 AM »
Thanks,

Tommorow I'll search in my old hard rubber used slot car tires (I repeat : never throw anything  lol) and see if I can find something a bit "bulkier" (not sure it's a real existing english word...but I'm french after all   lol)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:58:02 AM by sundayhero »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 03:26:33 AM »
That's the right word. "Beefier" would be the slang for tires.  lol Plusieres grandes pneus?  lol  (right words? Wrong masculin/feminin?)

Anyway, again I say: great project!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
vocabulary and language interlude :

Plusieures : "several" (feminin)
grandes :  "large" (feminin), but can also significate "tall", depanding the context. (that's maybe one of the reminiscence of anglo-saxon influence in our language, words defined by their context, but I'm not a linguist)
un pneu : "a tire" (Masculin).

For tires perhaps "gros" (fat, but also sometimes means "large") would be better. No really french word for "big" (we could say "balèze" but that is not something a librarian would say)

So we could say "un gros pneu" or maybe "un pneu balèze". Google can translate the first one ("a large tire" it says), not the second one (but google translate seems to be better to translate english to french than the opposite, I think).   lol

End of the interlude  :D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:30:02 AM »
I really should start to pay more attention to the 20mm cars I am post apocing. Never really gave them any tought. (then again post poc one might loot fancy tires from somewhere)
How do you strip the paint of these things? They look so much better without that thick coat of paint on them!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »
A bath of acetone (a few hours, especially be carefull with this chemical product) was perfect to strip the paint. Of course, I first removed all the plastic parts, I just dipped the metal body only.

I found some old hard rubber tires (tires from 1/64 slot cars wich became too hard to be used for this purpose), perfect ! I'll post pics tonight. This afternoon I'm a bit busy.

Offline sandsmodels

• Scientist
    • s&s models
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
looks a great start, if you need more  wheels we can probably supply some if you can tell me the diameter.
thanks
shaun
www.sandsmodels.com
sales@sandsmodels.com
makers of 20mm and 28mm vehicles, guns, figures and buildings for the gamer.

Offline jdeleonardis

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
Wow, those look really good.  Once stripped, they look perfect for what you are about to do with them.  And, 1/57 my a@#!  They look perfect for 1/72 or 1/76
Check out my blog The Raptor's Nest

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments and help offer,  

I found some compatible old rubber tyco slot car tires in my slot car wreck, the glue is currently drying. I'll post result later on evening ;)

edit : because of the famous statement "without pics it didn't happened" here 's some sneak pics of the current state of progress, with the new tires :

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:53:43 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 11:04:21 PM »
Wheels are glued in place. Tommorow I'll make it stronger with hot glue, then I'll finish the assembly (glasses, chassis). Then the interesting part of the work will start : customizing !

But I also have to repeat the work I already did on the 2nd car...Probably tommorow night.

I hope to be able to add sculpted details during week days, and finally paint (or at least, primer) these cars this week end.