Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:12:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley: Too tough a scenario?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Pulp Alley: Too tough a scenario?
« on: December 11, 2013, 03:14:16 AM »
I have a question for the Pulp Alley players and designers out there. The next scenario I'm running in my campaign should feature the usual 5 or so players. The storyline is the archeologists (4 of the 5 teams) want to rescue Brother Virigi from the cannibal's cookpot. I plan on starting the monk in the pot in the center of a 4'x4' board. The cannibals live deep in the jungle on a small river island. Would it be too tough if I made the entire board Perilous Area? And then the island Extremely Perilous, to represent the swarms of pygmies that are there?

I was thinking of starting them all 6" in from the board edge. Do you think there is no way that they will be able to get to the Major Plot point (Virigi) if they can never move more than 6"? I'm not making them get back off board or anything, just to have him in their possession at the end of the game. Oh, and the 5th league is likely to be, once again, the secret martial arts society who is trying to PREVENT the players from getting the plot points. So, one league will be working against the other four.

I'd appreciate any input players and designers would have. If you like, I can post the map I plan on using.

Speaking of Perilous Areas, I would like clarification on the play of Fortune Cards on opponents. Let's say a player who has "Lucky Devil" activates in a Perilous Area. Can a Fortune Card be played upon him because he is moving or taking an action in that area? In the same vein, let's say another player does NOT have that ability activates in a Perilous Area. Can they have one Fortune Card played upon them because they are activating, and then a second once they move or take an action in the Perilous Area?

Just curious...thanks!

Mike Demana

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Pulp Alley: Too tough a scenario?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:54:30 AM »
Let's say a player who has "Lucky Devil" activates in a Perilous Area. Can a Fortune Card be played upon him because he is moving or taking an action in that area?

Lucky Devil can be interpreted very broadly, so let me first try to clarify the intent --

The only cards affected/negated by Lucky Devil are the ones that state “Play: When an enemy activates”. This includes Out of Ammo, Trip-Up, Bad Luck, Unseen Peril, Parley, and so on. Lucky Devil does not stop any other cards.

Lucky Devil never prevents any card from being used as a peril/challenge, even if it is one of the cards listed above – and even if it is played when the Lucky Devil activates.

From this stand-point, the answer is “yes”.

In the same vein, let's say another player does NOT have that ability activates in a Perilous Area. Can they have one Fortune Card played upon them because they are activating, and then a second once they move or take an action in the Perilous Area?

Not normally. A character should not have to encounter the same peril more than once during the same activation. For example, if a character activates in a perilous area and then moves through the same perilous area, this does not trigger two opportunities to throw perils at them.

However, if the character enters a different situation then a second peril may be encountered. For example, if a character activates in a perilous area and then attempts to complete a plot point during the same activation, they may have face two different perils.

In general, the intent is to limit peril stacking but not eliminate it altogether. There may be times when a character will have to face multiple perils in the same activation, but it should be rare.

Would it be too tough if I made the entire board Perilous Area? And then the island Extremely Perilous

Assuming you’re using 5 slot leagues again, I would still be a little concerned with doing the whole table as Perilous with 5-6 players. It just has the potential to move too slowly if you're dealing with a peril every time every character activates. If you had 2-3 players, I'd say go for it.

Maybe start the perilous area at the water, and make the area within 6” of the pot extremely perilous? Or make the water and island perilous, and make the Cook Pot extremely perilous?

Here's an idea. You could also use some kind of conditional peril, like – “If a character shoots, the pygmies will harry and harass them for the remainder of the scenario – making the entire table a perilous area for that character.” This could give the same kind of feel, but limit the effect to specific trigger-happy characters.

I normally add in 2 extra turns as a minimum. So if it will take them 4 turns to just to reach the Cook Pot then you’re probably okay with doing it as a 6 turn scenario.

This is a cool scenario idea! I'm looking forward to seeing your hungry pygmies in action.  ;D

HAVE FUN

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:46:07 PM »
Thanks, Dave. So, if I leave pathways through the Perilous areas it should be fine, then? That will be easy enough to do as two leagues are starting on jungle paths, while two others are arriving by climbing down mountain paths.

Thanks for the clarification on Perilous Areas and Lucky Devil. As far as it affecting Parley, that is only if it is first played at the start of that character's turn? If it was played during another character's activation then Parley still remains in effect, right?

Thanks for the kind words...I'm getting excited about it to. I stopped by Hobby Lobby and found my cookpot, today. What's more, they had LED votive candles on 50% off. I'm tring to come up with some contraption to enclose it so that the cook fire is flickering...

Mike Demana

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:54:12 PM »

Thanks for the clarification on Perilous Areas and Lucky Devil. As far as it affecting Parley, that is only if it is first played at the start of that character's turn? If it was played during another character's activation then Parley still remains in effect, right?

Yup, a Lucky Devil can only stop Parley from being played when he activates. If it's played on another character's activation then Lucky Devil can't stop it.