Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:25:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Organization of an Italian Army platoon in Russia  (Read 2207 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Organization of an Italian Army platoon in Russia
« on: December 14, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »
I was perusing my copy of Armies of Italy and the other lot today (shhh... it's my Christmas present - the Mrs. would kill me if she found out!) and I came across something that made me type that rubbish title.

My understanding of Italian army platoons was that they were organized as two large squads, each with a Sergente, two Breda LMG teams (each with 4 men - gunner, loader, 2x ammo runners), and 11 riflemen. Total of twenty (vente!) men.

The army book has what appears to be a strange option of taking 11 men in a section, that's it. I could run the list like this:

Platoon   
1st Squad, 1st Section
Sergente with Beretta SMG, Caporal with Breda 30, Soldato assistant, 2x Soldato ammunition runners, 5x Soldato

1st Squad, 2nd Section
Caporal Maggiore with Beretta SMG, Caporal with Breda 30, Soldato assistant, 2x Soldato ammunition runners, 5x Soldato

2nd Squad, 1st Section
Sergente with Beretta SMG, Caporal with Breda 30, Soldato assistant, 2x Soldato ammunition runners, 5x Soldato

2nd Squad, 2nd Section
Caporal Maggiore with Beretta SMG, Caporal with Breda 30, Soldato assistant, 2x Soldato ammunition runners, 5x Soldato

There appears to be some incongruenza between what it should be and what it is.

Thoughts?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Organization of an Italian Army platoon in Russia
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 04:03:30 AM »
Thanks for all the input!  lol

By the way, I just purchased the Chris Stoesen "In the name of Roma!" pdf, detailing the Italians on the Russian front. WOW! It is fantastic. Like you could game the rest of your life, and not even finish all this material!

So I downloaded the “In the name of Roma!” pdf from Chris Stoesen tonight; it is FANTASTIC.

http://cstoesen.blogspot.ca/2013/09/in-name-of-roma-is-released.html

I did a review here: (don't bother clicking, all the words are below) 
http://soldatetain.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/in-the-name-of-roma-italians-on-the-russian-front/

It confirms that the organization in the BA book is horribly wrong. Not even close. Perry Miniatures on their Italian entries also discuss the organization; again, confirming Warlord are trying to make the Italians into every other platoon out there. Very generic, not good.

Next, there are 209 – yes 209 – pages to this supplement, for a measly $11. Yes, it’s a pdf. It is intended for other games, sure; any gamer worth their salt will dive into the vast depths of information and immediately be thinking of how to structure their campaign to this digital tome.

If you are interested in the Italian Army, and, want to know more about their Russian campaign, there is no reason not to buy this pdf. Well worth every penny spent.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I sent money to Chris, and THEN discovered the pdf could be directly downloaded here:

http://cstoesen.blogspot.ca/p/for-sale.html

I’m sure Chris will refund me the second payment, but if you go to the site, do it the right way, the first time. Learn from my fail!

Well done, Chris Stoesen!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:42:22 AM »
Have you seen Battlefront's Flames or War Eastern Front supplement? There's a briefing for Italians within.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
Have you seen Battlefront's Flames or War Eastern Front supplement? There's a briefing for Italians within.

Get behind me, Satan! I denounce the FoW!  lol

Seriously though, I'll browse it next time at the hobby shop.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »
Nice work Grant. Glad you found what you were after. I've a soft spot for the Italians in Russia. Pity about the time difference as I could have checked my references.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 06:55:53 PM »
Nice work Grant. Glad you found what you were after. I've a soft spot for the Italians in Russia. Pity about the time difference as I could have checked my references.

Cheers,

Helen

Cheers Helen!