Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:52:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Super musings.  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Super musings.
« on: December 25, 2013, 10:19:40 PM »
Ever since I was a kid I've loved the superhero genre and I've got a small collection of DC Heroclix that are just sitting in a cupboard to be looked at. But now I think I've finally gotten some fire under my butt!!!

I've found some new members at my local gaming club who are happy to play different types of games (not ONLY the Historical ones or ONLY a particular company's ones...) so I have started to try to put my OWN ruleset together (workname Metabrawl) and as I saw a video on the boobtube I dunked my 'Clix in armypainter dip, because I don't have the time or energy to re-paint them   :? Some of the paintjobs are actually not bad and I have gotten some pretty good results considering the "quick and dirty" process :).

Will post some pictures at a later point (they are drying at the moment) and put some more odds and sods in this post. Of course my rules are made for my own amusement so if I get them finished (possibly in January-February) I'll post them for free. I own SS3 myself and think it's a very good system, have played some enjoyable games, but want to make my own contributions too  :D.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Re: Super musings.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 02:27:47 AM »
I do have quite a good number of clics too, and some sculpts are pretty good.

Right now, I'm using the Pulp Alley rules for my superhero games, just adding one extra ability to 4, 3 and 2 level characters to make them more "super".

But I hope to hear more about your home made rules.

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline mratomek

• Bookworm
    • Super Force Seven: Superhero Miniatures Battle Game
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 06:08:19 AM »
Looking forward to all of it.
The only thing better than gaming... is more gaming!

Super Force Seven: Once upon a time, the Earth needed to be saved on a daily basis.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
Thank you lads for the encouragements. I feel that the people around this forum are very supportive to one another in whatever hobby undertakings you do, so I might actually see this through  :D!!!

I have used a few rule sets for my solo games in the past (BASH, SS3, ICONS) but I've always tinkered with a system, but that's for coming from the RPG vein...

Anyways: the basics are you have a couple of attributes (Might, Grace, Fighting, Cognition, Mind) ranging from 1-10 where 3 is Average Joe, 6 Peak Human and 7+ is superhuman. You also have Qualities, representing skills/ powers in the same range. I have a point system but decided to make it easy for myself, attributes cost 2pts per level and Qualities 1pt per level. Some people may feel that some Qualities are more powerful than others at this cost but I am trying to balance them out so some Qualities will have more "stuff" that you can do or putting some restrictions on others.

You also have three Secondary Attributes: Sequence, Move and Health. Sequence is a set value and you act in the order of highest to lowest, on ties you dice off, but it's perfectly allowed for a player to activate two or more models in a row if their Sequence are higher than the opponents. However, for each two Health taken your Sequence is lowered by 1, and other factors can affect it, like Daze and Leadership. Move is how far on foot you can move, you move Grace+3 inches per action, you can run for double distance if you spend both actions available on movement, and Health is the number of hit points you have, Might+Mind, and when you reach 0 you are out.

I am pretty pleased with having the attribute Cognition, which determines the basic range of ranged attacks, your ability to detect Invisible or models in Stealth mode and a few other things.

Each model have two actions available in a turn, but some effects may reduce the number. It could be move, attack, stealth mode, activate object, pick up object etc.

Most of the time you subtract the defenders attribute from the attackers (Grace for ranged combat, Fighting for melee, Mind for mental) and roll 2D6 and add to that. If the final result is 8+ the attack is successful. If the roll is doubles (eg 4 and 4) you roll another die and add it, if that one is another double (4) you continue to add until you roll something else.

The damage you take is also increased by 1pt per full 2pts your attack was over 8 by, so a roll of 10 is +1 damage, 12 +2, 14 +3 and so on.

A slightly different approach I have is that you have a limit of one successful attack per turn, which is important to understand. If you miss with the first action it is perfectly allowed to take a second action, at the same target and try again but at a penalty of -2 to the roll, representing the wild flurry of blows, rapid fire etc. If you hit with the first action you can't make another attack this round.

When you take a hit you take the damage (Might for melee, Quality level for a ranged attack or Mind) unless you have a Quality that allows you to "soak" (Invulnerability), that might be revised though.

I hope to give them a test whirl in January at my club.