Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Smuggling.  (Read 7983 times)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Smuggling.
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »
Oh you've gone and done it now Nick...  ::)

Ok, not a subject  particularly versed in so I'm looking for some help from the esteemed membership of this board.  :D

First things first, I'm looking at the period around the 1700's (probably mid), and around the Cornwall, Devon coast. So, are there any must read books that I should have? I'm going to need historical stuff but a bit of fiction doesn't hurt.  ;)

Also, looking to use the Foundry figures I already have and they include Horse Grenadiers.. so my next question is which regiments would have been based around this part of the country and used to counter the smugglers? I'm going to ask about uniforms on the 'big battalion' board as I believe it's more appropriate there.

Any other random hints would be useful too.  :D

Thanks in advance.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Smuggling.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:04:27 PM »
 lol lol lol

I see a joint game coming on Ray. ;)

Looking forward to seeing how this develops for you, it's should keep me focused which is a good thing. :)

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:07:58 PM »
Are you aware of the 'Cornish Smuggler' boardgame, recently released via Kickstarter?

I've played once- it's fun and very immersive but has some balance issues. I'll admit it has gotten me interested in smuggling in Cornwall and I'm also looking for books on the subject :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:25:56 AM »
Chaps - I too find myself with a bit of a bubbling-under interest in the idea of gaming smugglers, revenuers and other 18th century ne'erdowells and adventurers.  :)

If I ever get to game such scenarios, I'm planning on getting extra use from my F&IW range, especially (currently) packs FIW AAC1-3 and the Militia just up as a pre-order. These pics from FIW AAC3 may illustrate my thinking:

If any of you interested in this 'period' wanted to add some characters to their collection, you may wish to have a bit of a look round The GM F&IW range  :D, and may find some useful stuff yet to come   ;)

Cheers,
Lance

"Soldiers Free" sailor.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
Poldark!

:D

I had always planned to do smugglers one day, using the Trident Designs 40mm range... But then I've already got some of your militia, Lance...  ::);)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »
Poldark!

I had always planned to do smugglers one day, using the Trident Designs 40mm range... But then I've already got some of your militia, Lance...  ::);)

Poldark - one of my wife's favourites!  :-* :-*
Yes, stick with 28mm with the rest of us Richard, especially those militia  lol

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
Moonfleet!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »
I see a joint game coming on Ray. ;)

Looking forward to seeing how this develops for you, it's should keep me focused which is a good thing. :)

A joint game? Could well be a plan. It would help me keep focused as well.  :D

Not sure Sharpe practice will fit for rules though..  ;)

Strange as it may seem I'd been looking at your range already Lance for the odd addition.  :D That preacher figure would fit in perfectly and reminds me of a story my Nan used to tell me from Scilly. Apparently the Methodist preacher would always end his sermon with the words ' Lord, we pray that all souls at sea are safe, but on the off chance there is a wreck, let it wash up on the beaches of Scilly' or words to that effect. He looks like the type.  ;)

I hadn't seen that game Dr. Mathias, will have a look.

Come on Richard, a bit of 28mm skulduggery will be right up your street.  :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
Consider those figures ordered Lance ;D

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »
I was reading in the new wargames illustrated (315) there's a new skirmish rule set called "Donnybrook" that might be perfect for what you're trying to do here. They specifically mention this type of game and they cover the mid-17th to 18th centuries. I don't think sharp practice will feel right for this type of game as it's more about lines of men shooting at each other.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 05:23:42 PM »
I don't think sharp practice will feel right for this type of game as it's more about lines of men shooting at each other.

Or standing there being shot at for turn after turn without moving... Not that I'm bitter...  ;)

There's a thread on Donnybrook a little further down this board I think...

Ah yes. Here... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=61033.0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:25:23 PM by Captain Blood »

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »
Yes, Lance's figures do look very good for mid-ish 17thC Englande .... I'd been eyeing them for a similar project.  8)  :-* 
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
What started this? Moonfleet?
I have been thinking of this as well.
I built a custom's house for my pirates. I have some foundry figures that suit

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
Or standing there being shot at for turn after turn without moving... Not that I'm bitter...  ;)

There's a thread on Donnybrook a little further down this board I think...

Ah yes. Here... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=61033.0

Unfortunately good Captain it appears Donnybrook uses the exact same activation system as Sharp Practice.  :)

The game uses a card driven turn system, with a deck containing one card for each character and each unit on the table, one reload card (black powder weapons were notoriously slow to reload once fired), and one turn over card (reshuffle the deck... Yes, this means that not every model gets to act every turn!). When a character or unit card is drawn, they take a full turn - rally (if necessary), move, shoot, and melee. When their turn is finished, another card is drawn from the deck.

Taken from here http://leagueofaugsburg.blogspot.ca/2013/07/donnybrook.html
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 09:50:53 PM »
What started this? Moonfleet?

It looks like this is what might have prompted it. Either that or at heart we're all a band of criminals trying to get away with paying any tax.. Chance would be a fine thing.  ;)

Just ordered 'Smuggling in the British isles: a history' by Richard Platt. I'll let you know when it turns up, I've also just found my book on Turpin on the bookshelf. A bit of light reading.  :D