Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:33:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Translate into Dinosaur, please...  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Translate into Dinosaur, please...
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »
When Osprey (and others?) talk about eBooks and ePub Books - what are they talking about and just what is the difference. 

I use a nook so I understand that books don't come just on paper, I have copies of the PDF versions of most of my THW war game rules to supplement hardcopy, I have programmed on mainframes so while out of date I understand the principles of GIS/Computers, I use a MacBook Air and the wife's desktop Mac at home, and I use computers at work all day long (viewing satellite imagery, collecting data, manipulating data, blah-blah-blah,) so I am not illiterate about computers and books but I don't see where Osprey spells out the difference between the two.  I am sure (?) they do that somewhere on the site but I didn't find it.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Translate into Dinosaur, please...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
Point 14 on the Osprey FAQ discusses the differences.

My own understanding ;D is that everything's an ebook, they're just different formats. PDF is adobe and is mainly page based, while ePub (and mobi for Kindle) are html based and are able to reflow layout to suit the device you're reading on.

So, a PDF page on a 7 inch tablet contains the same data as on a 10 inch table or a 23 inch monitor, while an ePub can show more or less text, change font size, word spacing etc.

I also found this link which has a table describing some of the other differences between pdf and epub formats.

In terms of reading, I tend to prefer PDF, as you get the layout as the author intended. However, they can be a pain to read on smaller devices. I also find it's generally easier to print a PDF. The kindle app, e.g. has no print option at all, so you're stuck with reading it on screen.

Just my $0.02 :D

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:31:40 PM »
If I'm thinking of the right thing, epub is an ebook format. (edit: yes, like Zem says) IIRC one that can be downloaded and viewed on most if not all ereaders, tablets, and sundry devices. As opposed to restrictive proprietary formats like kindle, ibook, etc.

(trying to remember all this from when I looked up how to transfer me own kindle ebooks across devices. IIRC a few formats are just epub with extra - what was it? - DRM locking? But that's by-the-by. Although there's a guy on Warseer with a crack about 40k's 13th Black Crusade campaign: "Ahriman broke into the Black Library, but found it was all on kindle format, so he left." Too right!)

Alternatively: grrrk eenkh aooogh ARUNK ARUNK ARUNK eheheheheheh...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:43:10 PM by Vermis »

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »
According to my son's book, ostensibly written by a dinosaur, "ROAR!!" simply means "Hello!" and would you please stop running away all the time.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:31:49 PM »
<snip>

Alternatively: grrrk eenkh aooogh ARUNK ARUNK ARUNK eheheheheheh...

Thank you for that.    :)  English loses ethnic details in translation.   ;)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »
According to my son's book, ostensibly written by a dinosaur, "ROAR!!" simply means "Hello!" and would you please stop running away all the time.

I thought it meant, "Hello, lunch!"

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »
<snip>

In terms of reading, I tend to prefer PDF, as you get the layout as the author intended. However, they can be a pain to read on smaller devices. I also find it's generally easier to print a PDF. The kindle app, e.g. has no print option at all, so you're stuck with reading it on screen.

Just my $0.02 :D

Appreciated.

Although I need to point out that Section 14 says "... eBook files are encrypted so that they cannot be printed, shared, or otherwise reproduced."

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
You're quite correct, can't believe I've never noticed that before ;D

It's strange, given the number of PDFs that I've bought over the years, that I've never found one that won't print. In fact, I've just automatically assumed that when I buy PDFs online that I'll be able to print them out. However, they've all been rules and scenery, so preventing them from printing would be counterproductive.

The few Osprey ebooks that I have are in Kindle format (you can buy them directly from Amazon), and I've never wanted to print them out. However, I'll be aware of that restriction if I ever buy a PDF direct from Osprey.

Something new learned and it's only Monday o_o

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »
Going back to me previous waffling, there are ways - apparently legitimate - that you can remove the locks on ebooks, supplied by folk who consider it a little too monopolistic, and restrictive on your personal copy. Just depends if you mind downloading a random bit of freeware on your computer.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:22:15 PM »
Going back to me previous waffling, there are ways - apparently legitimate - that you can remove the locks on ebooks, supplied by folk who consider it a little too monopolistic, and restrictive on your personal copy. Just depends if you mind downloading a random bit of freeware on your computer.

Before this goes any further, please note that under German law the act of circumventing an "existing and effective technical means of copy protection" is not allowed (with some notoriously soft definitions abounding). Therefore, do not post links to any such tools.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
Maybe NSA can help with the encryption?

;)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 04:54:36 AM »
Before this goes any further, please note that under German law the act of circumventing an "existing and effective technical means of copy protection" is not allowed (with some notoriously soft definitions abounding). Therefore, do not post links to any such tools.

Same is true in the USA under the DMCA.

A lot of people don't like it, including myself, but for now it's illegal. It's actually the one of the big reasons why I don't buy ebooks.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.